Old 08-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/158/135

Height: 5'5

Default my (no longer) sick cat

On Monday i thought she might be having a problem with a hairball so I started watching her closely. Tuesday it was clear that she hadn't been able to keep food down for more than 10 minutes and i made a vet appointment. When I got home from work Wednesday to take her to the vet i found her under a table. Her eyes were pasty, she had thrown up all down the front of her chest, and her head was bright red and puffy. The smell was horrible and I thought she was a goner for sure.
350 dollars worth of tests and antihistimines later they could find nothing wrong with her, the next step would be full X-rays at another 400 dollars.
Now it's friday and she's looking at me with clear, angry eyes. She's mad because I just gave her a bath to get rid of the smell (I can't blame her for not wanting to clean up that mess herself), and held her down to force her to swallow a Pepcid AC.
She hasn't thrown up since Wednesday, and sh'e sooooo hungry she's eaten 2 cans of the perscription cat food they gave me. All of her strength is back, which kinda sucks for giving her a bath but I'm just so happy to see her fight back! Also cancelling her 400 dollar X-ray appt was a relief, rents due.
Does this happen?! I have never seen an animal get that sick then completely recover with no idea what happened. She's indoors, there are no pests here, and according to her tests everything is working properly. All I can think of is that she got into something during the weekend cleaning.
ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #2  
carinna

Sounds like she ate something bad. Sort of like food poisoning in humans. Once you get it out, you start feeling better but it takes a few days. Glad to hear she's doing better.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

it can happen...she may have eaten some toxin that made her very sick but her body got over it...or she may have swallowed something that was stuck in her stomach that she finally vomited up or in her intestines that she finally passed. Its very rare for that to happen...but it can happen...glad to hear she's better
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/187/130

Height: 5'4

I am so happy to hear that your kitty is feeling better.
Jo7475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/158/135

Height: 5'5

thanks I'm betting alot of you know how terrifying it is to have a beloved pet get scary sick. I would almost rather get sick myself because even if I need open heart surgery I have insurance. We could have paid for the X-rays, but I'm worried that after that we wouldn't have been able to pay for the treatment of anything they found. That is an awful feeling and I am vowing to get better about saving my money.
I'm back to worried because the allergic reaction seems to be continuing. It's no where near as bad as it was wednesday but she still has hives on her face. She's still keeping food down so I'm praying this is all going to work out but the hives are obviously uncomfortable.
They gave her injections of what is branded Benedryl at the vet ... I've read that it's safe and effective for cats in low doses. Has anyone ever tried this? The dosing info online isnt making much sense and her vet isn't in till Sunday afternoon.

edit - by this i mean cutting a pill into 1/8's and giving it to her that way.

Last edited by ginny; 08-29-2008 at 10:57 PM.
ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

Oh no! I am happy she is feeling better! Is there a new update?
What are you feeding her? I wonder if she did get into something or if it is an allergy. If it is some sort of allergy, a food like Taste of the Wild would be good because it is grain free and has good, healthy ingredients. I hope all is well! Keep us updated!
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #7  

Height: 4' 10"

I've read that cats can become allergic to things at any point in their lives. I hope they can clear up whatever it is. I have 6 cats myself and when one of them is sick I feel it too.
DollyLang is offline   Reply With Quote