PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Default PCOS and brain fog, lethargy

Ok, so I'm totally fed up with feeling like a zombie ALL day without caffeine. I am not addicted to caffeine because I rarely drink it. But my natural state is having a hard time concentrating, having no energy, and not focusing on my present tasks. If I have even 1/2 cup of coffee I am GREAT. But coffee bothers my stomach so I have to be careful.

I've been like this my whole life. When I get up in the morning I could instantly fall back asleep any time before noon. In school I would almost fall asleep at my desk until lunch, when I'd finally wake up and have energy like a normal kid. I've always gotten at least 7-8 hours of sleep, usually will sleep 9-10 hours when left alone.

My whole life as a kid our diet was very good. My mom wouldn't allow sweets, sugary cereals, soda, or fruit juice. So junk food was not the culprit. When I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago my doc said I was born predisposed to develop this condition.

So anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else feels this way? I am so jealous of my roommate- she gets up at 6am without caffeine and instantly starts cleaning, organizing, getting ready for the day.

I feel like if I didn't have responsibilities to keep me on my toes I'd lay in bed til the afternoon every day just waking up. I wonder if that's a symptom of PCOS? It's SO annoying. I just want energy. Changing my diet to 60% produce has helped a little, but not enough for it to improve my functioning. I feel like I'm working at 50% of my potential. Also, and this is kind of scary, but I'm starting to type words I dont mean. Like, if I want to type the word "his" I will type the word "here" or "house". This only happens when I don't have caffeine. When I do have caffeine, it's the wires connect in my brain.

Any thoughts you have would be great. I almost WANT to be diagnosed with soemthing that requires a stimulant every day, just so I can function at my full potential (yeah, and this is coming from Miss Anti-Pharmaceutical!!! That's how frustrated I am).
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/214/140

Height: 5'7"

I am EXACTLY the same way! I was just discussing this today with a co-worker. I would give anything to have the energy to do the everyday things that I want to do. I go to work, come home and crash. I want to be able to come home, cook dinner, play with my kids, clean house, whatever it is that I need to do. But, come 8 in the evening I'm done for. There are so many projects that I want to do, but can't get going to do it. I know it's not a time issue, it is a get up and do it issue. I feel like I am depriving myself and my family.
xraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #3  

Yes, and exercising does nothing. I need caffeine or something before exercising just to get a decent work out in, then after I exercise I want to sleep. Changing my diet hasn't helped. I eat completely clean. I want to know what is wrong. I don't think a human is meant to feel like this, day in and day out. I don't think this is normal, and that's just how I've always been. Why on earth would I be programmed to want to sit on the couch all day? Granted, I DON'T. I clean, go horseback riding at my Club, go to the gym, study for business school, somehow get things done at work... but it's such a chore. I LOVE doing all the things I do everyday, but my body wants to be inactive, and my brain can't put two-and-two together. And I'm very concerned that I'm starting to type the wrong words.

Last edited by Michelle125; 08-20-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/214/140

Height: 5'7"

That is a good way to describe it, "it's such a chore." I have noticed, around certain times of the month, whether or not I have a period, it is worse.
xraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #5  
WW Moderator

Me too. I get so darn sleepy, and I could curl up and nap at a moment's notice. I am usually asleep at night within 30 seconds of hitting the pillow. I think the most energetic I have ever been was when I was following a vegan diet.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 294/270/170

Height: 5'7

Oh, my goodness !! You all are mind readers. I have been so busy lately that I haven't had an opportunity to get on-line. So, I feel the EXACT same way. I am always fatigue, wishing I had more time to sleep. I feel like my brain mis-fires some days; almost like an engine spark plug that needs to be replaced. Once I have coffee I am good to go. Weird.

I noticed when I was taking Insulite, I had more energy and felt more mentally connected. I have fallen off the wagon with taking the Insulite because it did not seem to do anything else for me. My doctor once checked my calcium levels when I told him I get confused and forgetful some times.
So yeah, some times I also get confused and forgetful. I feel like I am sleep walking during the day; delirious. It's hard to function like this on a daily basis. If anyone has any info on how to stop this -- HELP!
Lady KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/142/135

Height: 5'2

Just a thought.. but.. have you ever tried cutting dairy out of your diet for a couple of weeks? I found when I drastically cut back on dairy I slept better, was more alert and felt more "connected" mentally throughout the day.
hopefully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 294/270/170

Height: 5'7

Hopefully,

I dont usually have very much dairy. I have the recommended amount and that's it. I dont drink milk, rarely eat ice cream, use butter, etc. I mostly have a serving of yogart, shredded or cubbed cheese on my salad... I think that covers it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Lady KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:40 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Just to play devil's advocate...do you think the tiredness is for sure another complication of PCOS? Lots of people without PCOS have chronic fatigue or even less severe symptoms of general lethargy, for reasons that have more to do with stress level, diet, etc. than any one particular condition.

I am totally guilty of this too but sometimes I feel like we're like, "oh my god I have [insert random symptom]! It must be the PCOS!" and yes it may be PCOS but on the other hand, this condition tends to make hypochondriacs out of the best of us.

Just a thought. Does not in any way invalidate your symptoms or feelings!!!

Last edited by snoozlebug; 08-22-2008 at 01:41 AM.
snoozlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:52 AM   #10  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Count me in! I have been trying and trying to kick the Mt. Dew habit. So now I only drink it at work and as little as possible. At home I drink water. And I think PCOS is the culprit for a lot of things, maybe not all, but I think a lot, it messes with our bodies and hormones that make us all crazy people at times. But ya I am with ya sometimes blaming something on PCOS when it probably isn't, esp with my DH, if he asks what is wrong and I don't wanna talk about it, I just say, "PCOS" and then he leaves me alone. I'm terrible, aren't I???!!!

Last edited by Sassy_Chick; 08-22-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #11  

See, I was never an energetic person, even as a kid. And as a kid my diet was great and I got plenty of sleep. I was not an overweight kid because my mom practiced portion control (she's a natural size 2 and doesn't like to eat much, so as a kid I was starving, which I think was a symptom of my predisposition to having PCOS, because I really think that as a 5-year-old I SHOULD get full on 1/2 sandwich, but I never was). But anyway, I've been getting an extra hour of sleep the past few nights since I posted this, and I've been feeling better, but not 100%. When I wake up I want to feel AWAKE, not wanting to curl up back into bed at any point before noon. And I also want to be able to focus better. Some times my brain is just happy staring into nothing and it's SO annoying.

I know that I've read that women with PCOS have less endorphins in their brain which leads to lethargy, increased appetite, and/or depression. I just want to know why my roommate can pop out of bed and start chatting with me, while I sit in front of the news like a zombie. I'd like to program my body to be more like hers.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #12  
Kittyno

S/C/G: 212/190/150

Height: 5'2"

I feel the same exact way! Especially if I have had a few busy days, I just need to take a half a day and veg out and watch movies and nap! I eat very healthily too! I think it has something to do with the blood sugar/insulin resistance. I notice that, since I've been on metoformin, it helps my energy level (especially in the morning), but when my blood sugar gets a little low, I feel it more now, whereas before the feeling came as sugar cravings. Now I just plain get worn out! This is just my opinion though.

It also affects me differently depending on the time of the month. I have been so tired while on my period that once I slept for a full 24 hours. I was perfectly fine after that, no other symptoms whatsoever, besides the usual cramps. Just didn't have the energy to get out of bed.
kittyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 250/199/150

Height: 5'2"

Do you eat a lot of carbs? Taking Metformin, exercising, and eating less carbs really helps with my fatigue.
Magz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/just started/150

Height: 5'9"

Michelle,
When I read your posts I had to tell my husband because I had the same story. I still wonder how I did the things I did growing up with PCOS. Mine is genetic, my family has a history of juvenile diabetes and insulin resistance although they didn't fully realize the full extent until my generation. I still wonder how I could go to class, go to the stables do the things I used to do before I learned of my condition.

I started metformin about a month and a half ago and the lethargy really disappeared. That may help you metabolize your food. I will say that you should think about what your daily caloric intake is too. Here is a little story:

When I was my lightest I was 140lbs. Even then I had a very round tummy which is strange for someone 5'9" at that weight. I carry it all on my stomach. Now I'm at 230 even though I'm a gym junkie and a health food nut... I wasn't diagnosed until I gained from 180 to 230 despite working with a nutritionist and a personal trainer when I really needed an endocrinologist! I just started metformin, anyways, I digress!

As a child my parents consulted many doctors and they just said to practice strict diet control and encourage physical activity. Like most heavy children, I guess this was a pretty common diagnosis. I swam laps for an hour a day, rode horses for an hour a day and still somehow managed school. It was really hard for me though because I had to give myself pep talks to get anything done just because I had NO energy. My parents severely restricted my diet. I had never had cake until my own wedding other than ONE time I stole a slice from my roommate in college's cake that was in the fridge! Ooof still feeling guilty about that one! I never had soda, potato chips, ice cream, fast food, any of the good stuff. When I started taking the metformin, my husband took me to McDonalds to have my first chicken nugget!

Anyways, you really need to consider your caloric intake. When I was my lightest, I was eating around 600-700 calories a day. I know this is technically an eating disorder but no one would have known because I was actually just normal looking on the outside. And to top it off I was a long distance runner, running daily, and at the same time playing polo several times a week, very active. The key problem was really that I wasn't eating enough to fuel my activities so I had severe, severe lethargy. I slept from 8pm to 8 am and then took a four to five hour nap between classes and my physical activity time... Make sure that even though you are being healthy, you are still eating enough. I know that PCOS with insulin resistance can make food and sugar the enemy but don't forget that at the most basic form, a living organism needs sugar to survive.

While I weigh more now I make sure to get between 1000 and 1500 calories a day and I have energy to do the things I want to do. Also I've noticed since I started the metformin I haven't even needed a nap! Good luck dear, I feel your pain!!
champagnecholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:25 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 212/212/150

Height: 5'6

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle125 View Post
See, I was never an energetic person, even as a kid. And as a kid my diet was great and I got plenty of sleep. I was not an overweight kid because my mom practiced portion control (she's a natural size 2 and doesn't like to eat much, so as a kid I was starving, which I think was a symptom of my predisposition to having PCOS, because I really think that as a 5-year-old I SHOULD get full on 1/2 sandwich, but I never was). But anyway, I've been getting an extra hour of sleep the past few nights since I posted this, and I've been feeling better, but not 100%. When I wake up I want to feel AWAKE, not wanting to curl up back into bed at any point before noon. And I also want to be able to focus better. Some times my brain is just happy staring into nothing and it's SO annoying.

I know that I've read that women with PCOS have less endorphins in their brain which leads to lethargy, increased appetite, and/or depression. I just want to know why my roommate can pop out of bed and start chatting with me, while I sit in front of the news like a zombie. I'd like to program my body to be more like hers.
This describes my life perfectly. I just started metformin so we will c if things change. Thanks 4 validating how I feel.. Its nice.
MzKitty is offline   Reply With Quote