Old 08-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/265.8/125

Height: 5'0

Default How Many?

Okay my question now is How many Calories should I eat daily to lose 1-2lbs per week. I can't really figure it out and every website says something different. I was going to do 1200 but from what I hear thats the min and sometimes that can put you in starvation mode and not give you much room to move once you get closer to your goal and weight loss starts to stall.

So What should I do I have heard 1400, 1600, 1800.

I am 5'0 even shorty lol. 240lbs. At work I sit on a computer all day but I work out atleast 4x a week with a total of 2 hours of Cardio and 2 hours of Weights a week. So I would say I am pretty active. I am also going to add some yoga in to my routine in the mornings.
Kayhm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #2  
~ The Walker ~

Smile

look at the STICKY above... the one that says FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS... someone just showed me this and it tells you ALOT including the question on How Many Calories Should i Eat??? Good Luck To Ya!
BuuBuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:10 AM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Here's what I did: I went on Google and looked up RMR calculator. That tells you how many calories your body burns if you stay in bed all day. Then, I try to eat about that amount. You'll have to play around with it a bit and see what works best for you. If you want to lose 1-2 lbs. per week (not sure how accurate my info is here), you'll need to burn 3,500 calories to 7,000 calories. By decreasing your food consumption to the RMR number (again, this is just my opinion), you end up burning enough for about 1 lb. If you want to burn 2 lbs., you'll need to burn another 3500 calories during one week of working out. I venture to guess that you're not doing that with the amount you described. However, if you're just starting out, don't let this discurage you at all!!! You are doing great! As you continue throughout this journey, you'll probably want to workout at least 5, but more like 6 days a week, with strength training about 3 days a week. Try to keep as active as possible. Sounds like you have a very sedentary diet. Could you eat lunch at your desk and then walk during yoru lunch hour? That would bump up your metabolism too. I hope I didn't stick my nose where it didn't belong, since you just asked a simple question and I guess I didn't really answer it, but I just wanted to share that w/ ya. Good luck!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:37 AM   #4  
onedayatatimer

Talking

Oh my gosh! I just almost died laughing because I re-read my post and I said that you have a sedentary diet, but of course, I meant job! So funny! Sorry 'bout that!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 275/265.8/125

Height: 5'0

Default I know

I know what you mean't no big deal. Well I am part-time at work because I am also in college and I only get a 20 minute break I work in a big building so I really can go far without getting back to my desk on time. We have a Gym at work and thats where I have been working out after work. But thats all I have been doing as of now. I was thinking about adding some yoga in the morning. Also I am about to start the IRONMAN CHALLENGE at work lol. It's a 7 week program where you had do so much cardio and weights and everyone is diveded into groups to see who finished first-they say the Gaurantee Results, So maybe that will help to I am probably going to increase the amount of days I work out atleast doing 1 hour of cardio a day.
Kayhm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #6  
~ The Walker ~

Thumbs up

TODAY is my weigh in day and I lost 1lb this week which is really GOOD for ME! im 48yrs - WAS 265 - 5'7" tall - and i sit in front of Computer at work 8hrs a Day... Super Sedentary... Me & DH walk 1 mile everyday after work, and i do A Little exercise on my own, but not as much as i should... MY BMR told me to eat around 2200 calories a day, BUT i had to take it down to between 1500 - 1700 daily EVERYDAY... and FINALLY lost a Pound!!! Whoo Hooooo!
BuuBuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #7  
onedayatatimer

Great news BuuBuu! Well done!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #8  
onedayatatimer

Kayhm:

You are doing amazing! Keep it up and you WILL see results! I hope you'll let us know how the Ironman Challenge goes!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #9  

Woo hoo! And it's just gonna keep getting better!!!!!!
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #10  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I found this link to an RMR calculator today:

http://www.shapeup.org/interactive/rmr1.php

The website actually had a lot of useful information - after it calculates your RMR, it tells you exactly what that means and why it's important. There is also a "virtual kitchen" that will give you an estimate based on how much weight you want to lose per week.

Good luck!
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote