Old 08-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See my ticker!

Height: 5' 10"

Default Starting to get downhearted with this

I was just thinking today; I've been back in weightwatchers since march after a years absence. Since march I have only lost 9 pounds. 9 pounds in 5 months. i seem to be gaining every other week or every third week, then have to struggle really hard to lose what ive gained. i gained again this week after one of the most on-plan weeks ive ever had. i only treat myself once a week (after weigh-in) and the rest of the time im so freakin good its unreal. im always hungry, i cant remember the last time i tasted ice-cream, i havent eaten a biscuit without feeling guilty since i started.
im not excersising officially an awful lot, but i walk loads and usually i have a point or two left when i go to bed so thats kind of like getting activity points. i struggle to eat all my points every day but i feel like im eating too much food! if i dont feel hungry i dont feel like im doing it right. and whats making it worse is that my friend who is also losing weight, has lost 3 stone (42 lbs) in the exact same amount of time as my miserable 9 lbs. im thrilled for her but she keeps saying "i definitely gained, i had 3 chineses last week and loads of drink", but she actually hasnt gained once since we started. how is it she can cheat and lose weight and i cant lose when im on plan?

So basically, i feel totally useless, i cant shift this weight and im trying so hard. i can honestly say that i have dedicated my whole existence to losing this weight and i am following it to the letter and still nothing.
sorry for being so self-pitying but i really feel like giving up sometimes; its so upsetting when you try so so hard for something and you fail.
sorry again, i just wanted to get that off my chest. i havent said it to anyone i know because no-one really understands/cares
IrishRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #2  
TBL Blue Team Member!

S/C/G: 294.5/ticker/170

Height: 6'0

I just wanted to say that I understand where you are coming from. Even though I have more to lose I understand the struggles. Could it be that you aren't eating enough? If you have a few points left at night and you are doing some form of exercise maybe with those two things combined you are going to far below your points? Also some people are just slower losers than others. I know that Jaime, if I'm not mistaken, is a pretty slow loser.

Keep it up though you are doing great and a loss is a loss no matter how small. Don't give up!
Hopefulpinkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/262/180

Height: 6'5

have you been measuring any ? i know some people maybe dont see to much difference in the scale but do get smaller in inches.
bentley fontane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #4  

Aw, thank you! Its nice to hear that other people are going through the same thing. i really think that people who arent trying to lose weight cant understand how upsetting it is not to lose when its all you want to happen!
Bentley, im measuring a bit and theres no difference. people keep telling me i look slimmer which is really nice to hear, but i cant see it myself, you know? but if others can see it thats a good sign i suppose!

Last edited by IrishRover; 08-14-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I know that feeling. I have been trying so hard to get under 150. I have been at 150 for about three weeks. I drank too much a couple weekends ago and puked my guts out. The next morning I weighed 147. That cannot be healthy. Anyways the next bite of food I put in my mouth I gained back five pounds.

I think you should up your exercise. Do something different to shock muscles your didn't even know you had into burning. I started out walking a lot, but jogging has really given my glutes a great workout. I started out walking for an hour every night. Then I started jogging half a lap, a whole lap, and now I jog for 3.5 miles most nights. I don't want to start toning too much until I get a little closer to my goal; I'm hoping I can shock my muscles into a little extra burn!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRover View Post
im not excersising officially an awful lot, but i walk loads and usually i have a point or two left when i go to bed so thats kind of like getting activity points.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. You can't expect your body to handle having less food the same way it would handle having more food plus the benefit of exercise. It is imperative that you at least eat your minimum number of points (your daily target) each day! You do this not only to keep your metabolism working at its most efficient, but also for your sanity! You sound like you really miss ice cream and chinese food and things that you see other people eating but feel you can't have. If you are always hungry, why are you not eating all of your points?

I wish I could remember the name of the thread here but there was a post by aerotigergirl complaining about a similar trend in her weight loss. Up, down, up down, little progress made. The advice she received was to eat more, she gave it a shot, and she started losing again immediately. WW isn't about depriving yourself and eating as little as possible - it is supposed to be livable and sustainable, and something that fits well into your life. If you are hungry, you should eat. Hunger signals are there for a reason. If you have points left over, eat them. If you don't, snack on some veggies, or fiber one cereal, or use some flex points to satiate yourself. You'll be far happier if you solve the hunger problem first, and then tackle everything else!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/247.8/199

Height: 5'9"

keep at it! you've lost and that is the most important.

I binged today and I hope to snap back into my routine.
JazzyJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

(((Irish))))

I concur with Jamie. It is vitally important for you to eat all of your points. Your body's metabolism is a funny thing and does require a certain amount of fuel to keep going. If you aren't fueling your body enough, your metabolism will slow down and your body will hoard calories and store them.

Are you writing down everything you are eating?
Are you drinking all of your water?
How about your oils?
How much fiber are you eating everyday?
How about protein?
Dairy?
Are you taking a multi-vitamin?
Are you getting in all your servings of veggies and fruit in each day?

How has your stress levels been?

Are you eating breakfast?

I am full of questions - sorry, but not only would I love to help you, but others would as well.

If you don't mind, would you be willing to post a few days of menus?

I believe with a little help from everyone here who has been losing on a steady basis and/or has been on somewhat of a plateau and broke it could help you stir thing stuff up!
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #9  

Suite, Im not intentionally not eating all my points, its just that a lot of the time i feel like ive already eaten loads that day and eating more would make me feel really full and bloated. and if i have 1.5 points or so at the end of the day all i can think of to do with them is eat chocolate and i dont like doing that. also, i have difficulty eating full meals; i can only eat small portions of food at a sitting. its weird, im always getting slagged for it! (people comment on it when i finish a meal!) im trying to change this though and eat more substantial, healthier meals. Chey, ill have a go at answering all your questions so you can see what you think!

Are you writing down everything you are eating? Yes, I track on my paper tracker and on here, on the menu planning/accountability posts. i write things down as soon as i eat them, or while im cooking them
Are you drinking all of your water? Yes, i drink 8 tumblers plus a day
How about your oils? The only oils i get would be in spray oil when i cook, im vegetarian and i dont (won't!) take omega supplements because of the animal content
How much fiber are you eating everyday? I dont know what the RDA of fibre is but i think i get about 10g a day
How about protein? I dont know how to measure protein! But i eat maybe 5 eggs a week, milk daily and yoghurt occasionally. i dont eat cheese but id have tofu/lentils about once a week
Dairy? Loads!
Are you taking a multi-vitamin? I take zinc...
Are you getting in all your servings of veggies and fruit in each day? Yesterday i did and that was a huge deal for me! i usually get about 3 servings out of 5

How has your stress levels been? Pretty bad; looking for a job, going back to college, boyfriend in hospital, pug has broken foot, me with pleuresy. not getting enough sleep either, due to aforementioned pug. (he has to be brought out at 6 am or he pees everywhere)

Are you eating breakfast? Yes, always do and always have. i alternate between cereal and toast, but im trying to be gluten free this week so just cereal
Old 08-15-2008, 07:15 AM   #10  
Hatchling

S/C/G: 160/146/122

Height: 5'2"

It sounds like you have a lot of stress and not much sleep which I read somewhere affects weightloss (I can't post any links as I'm a newby but I do have an article saved on my mac)

You also do need fats to lose fat. Doesn't Gillian McKeith call them thinny fats?! Anyway, I take Linseed oil which contains the perfect blend of Omega 3 & 6 and is vegetarian. You might want to try these, as they will help with stress and energy levels too.

Good luck, I have just joined WW and if you have any spare points chuck them my way!

I hope you, your Boyf and your pug all get well soon

Lou
x louise x is offline   Reply With Quote