UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 11st13lbs/11st13lbs/10st

Height: 5 feet 8.5 inches

Question Hunger!!

I know that when you are eating healthily (dieting to me!) you are not supposed to let yourself be hungry - they say it shouldn't be necessary if you are eating the right things, but surely at the start I am going to have to be hungry for a while as I reduce my portions and just the general volume of food that I have been stuffing my face with?

I ask because the last two days I have been SOOO hungry!!

This is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: 2 Crumpets with 1 teaspoon low fat spread
Mid Morning: Banana
Lunch: Lean Beef with Salad, Homemade sugar free Jelly with tinned peaches
Mid Afternoon: Tomato and basil slim a soup
Dinner: Roasted chicken breast with cous cous and roasted peppers, onions, courgettes and mushrooms (in fry light) with herbs
Mid Evening: Options coconut hot chocolate

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Last edited by tracyj69; 08-13-2008 at 05:12 AM.
tracyj69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:23 AM   #2  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Sounds good! To me though it doesnt seem like you're having enough snacks. Do you know what kind of calorie range your eating?
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Also sounds good to me but perhaps you need something a little more filling at breakfast to set you up for the day. Perhaps a fruit salad with natural yoghurt or porridge.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #4  

I haven't calculated my calories properly but at a rough guess I would say 1200 to 1400 a day?

I had beans on toast this morning which did fill me up a bit more, I have been trying not to snack too much cos once I start I can't stop!!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:08 AM   #5  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

I agree, your breakfat gives you just over 200kcals but dont seem very filling, well I wouldn't STAY full, but each person is different, for the same amount of kcals I'd find something more filling, with more volume, but less calorie dense, like someone mentioned
~Porridge, 45grams I think is 160kcals add skimmed milk some fruit(grapes, apple or raisins),
cinnimon and sweetener and you set to go.
~Or people swear by eats for keeping them full, How about 2 scrambled
eggs on 2 slices of low kcal wholemeal bread slices(ie: nimble or
walburtons healthy) thats about 260-270 kcals
~Low fat yoghurt (Danone Satisfaction is about 75 kcals and keeps you fuller
for longer) with some fruit
~A fruit salad, cut up banana, strawberries, apple, clementines etc and pick
at it thru the morning so your breakfast lasts all thru the mornin
~A high-fibre cereal like bran flakes, I add some sultanas and a splash of
skimmed milk 30gbran with splash milk and tablespoon sultanas is about 150 , or if you kcals allow it have more, or have 30grams in a cup and snack on
them or use the bowl of cereal and milk as a snack meal, if your kcals allow
it of course.

Keep washed grapes handy, Im more successful with those around, as Ill take a few when Im hungry and keep my snacking habit from ruining everything!
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #6  
44lbs gone!

Beans are great for filling, all thats fibre and protein, but because of the salt and sugar inthe sauce, I wanan try just the plain haricot beans(they sell em in cans at tesco) at 75kcals per 1/2 can, I wanna add concentration tomato paste or some plum tomatoes on low kcal wholemean break of course :P

OMG Indulgent meal idea:
Plum toms, haricot beans, scrambled egg, wafer thin ham slices, slice lowcal toast= 280 kcals =)
Old 08-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #7  

Thanks for the suggestions angeleyezx, I am deffo gonna have some eggs, may do an omelette actually could use fry light? and the beans and make your own sauce is a fab idea!

I am not a fan of anything sweet - cereal, porridge or such like and I have been trying to avoid much fruit as OH read an article saying you should only eat fruit before a work out otherwise all the sugar makes you gain weight?

Dinner tonight is stuffed marrow, going to do some other veg to go with it I think so I don't go to bed hungry tonight!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 264/250/140

Height: 5ft 9"

I always found/find I am really hungry in the morning since I stopped smoking, before that I was a 3 coffee's/ 5 ciggie kinda chick and wouldnt eat until about 1pm, which was usually a pint and then something lardy etc, ANYWAY....
Since I've started eating breakfast I have generally been on a cereal tip.
I started with the classic Special K, which made me full for around 10 minutes or so, then I thought right, add some berries, so I did that, still around 15 before hunger kicked in, so I moved onto sustain, which was ok, but to be honest I think I was just fooling myself by the promising packaging.
Then I tried oats and more, which was lush, but really sweet, which is a no no for me as just the taste of sweet makes me want more, so I bought oatiflakes and haven't changed since.
I hate the texture of porridge, but I like the fullness, so oatiflakes for me is ideal. It can get a bit boring though, so I add rasins or cranberrys, blueberries, whatever is on offer at the supermarket generally.
Oats is also good for depression apparently, so it works on more than one level.

I eat special K bars & Alpen light bars for a snack once a day, sometimes twice if I am being really naughty, but the rest of the time I stick to fruit for a snack, but genrally melon, grapes, pineapple and apples, no particualr reason, i just like them, but I have read good stuff about them in the calorie world.
I also eat alot of beans, like mung beans, audiki beans, haricot beans all of those little monsters, they really fill you up! I make a wicked bean stew with quon beef syle pieces and beans and tomatoes, its pretty lush and only takes 15 minutes to make.

I haven't felt hungry at all since I've been eating this way, but that has it's problems bcause I always feel like I am cheating even though I am not!
I should count calories but I find that method doesnt work for me.
So far in 2 weeks Ive lost 9lbs, so it must be working ok and I do now feel fuller quicker too, or maybe I just can't eat another blinking mung bean! LOL
Also remember if your due your monthlys you might feel hunger than normal?
Hope that helps!

Oh yes, you can do scrambled eggs in a microwave in a tupperware box, just beat as normal, add your seasoning, a little tiny bit of milk and seal lid almost fully, just a tiny gap for air, 2 minutes 'DING' rework with a fork, perfect! No quite omelette, but close enough!

Bonjul

Last edited by Bonjul; 08-13-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Bonjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyj69 View Post

I am not a fan of anything sweet - cereal, porridge or such like and I have been trying to avoid much fruit as OH read an article saying you should only eat fruit before a work out otherwise all the sugar makes you gain weight?

I eat on average at least 3 portions of fruit a day and have lost 90lb - doesn't seem to have harmed me any.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Lots of good advice. I would only add that I *did* sit with some hunger for a while at first. I looked at it as retraining my mind and body to expect and be satisfied with smaller portions. And my mind and body *did* adjust. But I think to do this you have to be really comfortable that you're not going develop disordered eating from it, that you can adjust and move on to living with feeling starved or hungry too much.

Also, some of us are used to never letting ourselves get hungry before stuffing ourselves again. It's a sensation you have to get used to again. On the other side of the coin, you also learn to stop eating when you're satified instead of when you're stuffed.

Edit: "living with feeling starved or hungry too much" should be living WITHOUT feeling starved

Last edited by JulieJ08; 08-13-2008 at 02:33 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #11  
44lbs gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyj69 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions angeleyezx, I am deffo gonna have some eggs, may do an omelette actually could use fry light? and the beans and make your own sauce is a fab idea!
I made omlettes for me and my mum the other day, dry fried some chopped onion and mushrooms and put aside.
one person= 2eggs whisked with a spash of water(wake then fluffier) ***
parsley, spray pan with non stick, pour in eggs, added
mushrooms/onions & a few wafer thin ham pieces
= ~210-250kcals, and you wont believe how filling! now pair that with veggies or a salad

Last edited by angeleyezx; 08-13-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #12  

I always do scrambled eggs in the microwave cos I hate washing pans after you make them! I had two this morning on a slice of wholemeal toast and I must admit I have not been as hungry this morning, I am just having my lunch now, tuna pasta with a large salad and then some melon and pineapple. ( I am going to just have smaller portions of fruit and see if that makes a difference to my weight)

Went out for a walk last night for an hour so feeling very virtuous today

Last edited by tracyj69; 08-14-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #13  
44lbs gone!

woot!! =D
thats great to hear! Ive heard simular things about fruit!