Old 08-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #1  
I'm ready to get started!

S/C/G: 208/208/125

Height: 5'1"

Default Home Remedy for ear infection??????

I know this has nothing to do with weight loss. But, I was wondering if anyone knew a home remedy for ear infections. My DH has an ear ache and doesn't need to take off work considering he just started Monday. So, any suggestions would be great.
ferrarimomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Warm, moist heat is always good.

There is also a product called Similisan, you can buy it in drugstores and it'll give some relief on a middle ear infection. And some decongestants might help unblock the eustachian tube.

Have your husband pull on his earlobe, though...if it hurts more when he does that, you're dealing with an outer ear infection, not an inner ear infection.

And if it doesn't go away pretty quickly, you might want to have it checked out...ear infections aren't common in adults but they can get serious. I know that I have urgent care centers on my insurance plan...they allow me to see a doctor after hours or on weekends for a slightly higher rate. They even have them in drugstores in some places now.

Hope he feels better soon!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

Try having him lay on his side with his bad ear up, and put a few drops of mineral oil in his ear. Apply a warm compress to the ear. This may 'loosen' up any wax and may allow the area to clear.
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #4  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I know for really bad swimmers ear you can do the same as Kori mentioned but with either white vinegar or olive oil. White vinegar if it's a pool, olive oil if you've been diving in the elements. My parents both used to be hardcore divers, and it's what we've grown up with. But if it's an infection, he should really go in and get checked out.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #5  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Ok, this sounds really weird, but now that pediatricians are trying to reduce the amount of ear infections they treat with antibiotics, they are actaully starting to suggest more home remedies...which is very good for moms like me.....and my homemade friend, Katie..........anyway, I had a doc at a walk in clinic suggest the following:
1.Go to your drugstore and ask for sweet oil. Not too sure exactly what it is, but I bought mine at Walmart. Then stop at the grocery store and pick up a fresh clove of garlic.
2. Fill a metal spoon about half way with sweet oil and a chunk of peeled garlic and hold it over an open flame (stovetop) until the oil starts to bubble and you can smell the garlic.
3. LET IT COOL to the touch, remove the garlic, and drop into the affected ear. The garlic has antomicrobial agents in it which help kill infection, and it is also soothing. I can't remember what the oil does, but I have done this to my kids, and they don't seem to mind, and they usually fight it.

But, like the others said........if he doesn't get better quick, take him to the Walgreen's walk in clinic or something (they have a flat rate if you don't have insurance) and fix him up. I had an ear infection when i was pregnant with 12 y/o DD, and I was blown away at how much pain I was in........and I had my first three babies w/o drugs....so I know pain. The ear infection was just awful. Good luck
XOXO
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

A few drops of GSC (grapefruit seed crushed, basically grapefruit seed extract) It fights infection. The only down side is if you have wax build up it will sting. I had to flush my ears out, but it helped so much and got rid of the infection.

You can also take oregano oil (5 drops) and 10 drops of GSC until the infection is gone. It's a life saver! I use it for all infections. One time had a random blister on my tooth. I rubbed oregano oil on it and it was gone the next day.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/165/120

Height: 5'6

My grandma was the queen of natural rememdies because she raised 13 kids alone after my grandpa passed away. She always taught us the "barely" warm olive oil trick or if someone was around that smoked a pipe have them blow smoke from the pipe into the ear and put in a cotton ball leave it in overnight .
Sure hope DH gets to feeling better earaches are no fun at all when you have to concentrate on learning something new. Good luck to him and hope one of the suggestions help you out.
Take care and have a great weekend.
Lois
OH MY GOODNJESS!! I am sitting here on my back deck in our rather small subdivision drinking my morning coffee and watching my hummingbirds play but there was a big ole cow just strolled through my yard ???????????????????? Big surprise being there are no farms within 20 miles of here might need more of this . Sorry had to share
LoisKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone for the help.

Loiskent- The cow in your bad yard was hilarious.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/125

Height: 5'0

Did you try any of the remedies? My kids doctor has recommended home remedies as well, for ear pain he has suggested olive oil in a spoon and passed over a flame 3 times so that it's not to hot and then put in the ear - I've never tried it... I was afraid to mess with my kids ears!
jewljz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #10  

I tried the vinegar and alcohol in his ear to try to dry up any moisture. I took him to the doctor on Sunday and his ear canal was so swollen he couldn't even see his ear drum. So, he is treating him for an outer and middle ear infection.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:25 PM   #11  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Aww! Poor hubby! Good thing you went and had it checked out
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote