South Beach Diet - Thursday Happenings On the Beach

View Full Version : Thursday Happenings On the Beach

cottagebythesea
08-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Good morning! I'm enjoying a quiet cup of coffee before I wake up Carley. My engine light came on in the car yesterday, and while it runs fine, I'm taking it to the shop first thing. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't a costly repair! :crossed: I have a lot going on this month, and am trying to save a few dollars!

CyndiM
08-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Good morning Cottage. Seems like most of the time that check engine light comes on for a sensor that needs to be reset. :crossed: Here's hoping it's something that small this time.

Today is a work at home day. I've got a few projects I want to tie up before going on vacation and will be trying to get those completed. It's supposed to be rainy again. Should have grown rice this year!

What's everyone else up to?

Schmoodle
08-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Wow, can I really be #3 today?
Good morning to all.
Woo-hoo, the weekend is almost here. I'll be so glad to get past tomorrow.
cottage, you will need those $$ for Green Dragon!
Cyndi, good luck with the niggles. When do you leave?

Just a regular day here.
I made a yummy spur of the moment dinner last night (forgot to thaw my chicken). I sauteed chopped eggplant, onion, green pepper, and garlic, added some Old Bay Seasoning and added some canned diced tomatoes, salt and pepper, let simmer a bit, then folded in half a pound of crabmeat I needed to use up. Maybe just because I didn't eat until 8pm, but it was really good. I got suckered into helping the girls sort through their closets last night. We've got some bags for Goodwill, so that's some progress I guess.

Have a good one chicks.

femmecreole
08-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Morning all!!

Cottage, I hope it's something the car people can easily fix. Car repairs=no fun!!!

Cyndi, Have fun getting those projects tied up...where are you going on vacation? I wanna go!!!

Me: Yesterday was brutal 8 hours sitting on a hard folding chair in a workshop. 1/2 break for lunch (like the day before it was supposed to be an hour!) I ended up dashing to the nearest grocerty store that was close to the school where the workshop was being held and grabbed a box of triquits, some humas and grapes...some lunch, huh? Today I am prepared with spinich and chicken salad on top.

The rotten thing is that I found out that workshop was only the first of a series of 4 and the last 3 are all being held on Saturdays. The last one will be on my birthday. What a rotten way to spend a birthday!! Ah well...

Today will be the last day to work in my room after a faculty meeting that lasts till 10. Tomorrow the kids come....ack!! I think I have it all together, but I'm sure that there is something I missed!

Hope everyone has a super day.

*** Good morning, Schmoodle..we were posting at the same time. That recipe sounds wonderful!!!!

indigal
08-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Hey there! Been a theater day for me... ( I work 2x a week in a 500 capacity theater)... Helping getting it cleaned and I need to go over shortly and help folks get costumes for a skit they are doing. I'm also cleaning up around the house. Tomorrow we're having a 08-08-08 Potluck dinner. We've had then every year since 02-02-02!.... 12-12-12 will be my parents 45th wedding aniversary... It's been fun introducing the concept of potluck dinners to India.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Ruthxxx
08-07-2008, 08:03 AM
:wave: We slept in until 6:30 this morning but I have my coffee.

Cottage, those darned lights! I hope it's just a reset. I had a similar problem that took ages to fix and drove around with tape over the light for a while.

CyndiM, I'm sure you and Julie will have a great time, even if it does rain. Are you true-blue campers in tents?

Schmoodle, you just gave me an idea for dinner! I have partially cooked eggplant in the freezer and all the other things on hand and will do that dish with shrimp tonight. (The only kind of crab around here is canned and it's awful!)

Cat, good recovery for lunch yesterday but planning for today sounds better. They sure are inflicting long meetings on you. My butt hurts just reading about it.

Indigirl, isn't theatre work fun? I did it years ago and enjoyed every moment. An 8-8-8 party sounds like fun. Isn't 8 a lucky number in China - lots of weddings today.

Well, the news wasn't good at the vet yesterday. Disney is just fine but Hershey has multiple problems - a bladder infection, eye problems, elbow sores that won't heal, a coat that's falling out and she's lost more weight. From 60 to 50 pounds in less than six months is not good given that she eats very well. She's got lots of meds and ointments, we did full bloodwork and she is going to have her fur clipped way down so we can see what's going on with her skin. I've retired her from pet therapy for a while. Poor baby!

Today was supposed to be rainy again but it's fine so far. It didn't even rain overnight although I could see and hear storms all around us. I just might get to some more garden work. Of course there's always quilting if it rains.

Need breakfast and more coffee. The dogs are already fed. You know who comes first around here.

Schmoodle
08-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Hi chicks, back again, now I'm just procrastinating!
Ruth, I thought last night it would be great with shrimp. Or crab AND shrimp. Or fish. Or chicken (although I'm getting a little burned out on chicken). You are smart to stay away from the canned stuff. Forgot to say I also threw in a little quinoa. Enjoy! Poor Hershey, that's a lot of weight to lose. Hope they figure it out soon and treat the poor baby.
indigal I love your potluck idea. I had forgotten that tomorrow is 080808. Do you think that's a good omen or bad (like Friday 13th)?
Have a better day today Cat.
cottage and Nessa, I took next Friday off. Got my parents lined up to watch the kids too. I told them where I was going and they are concerned that you plan to kidnap me and sell me to a sex ring. If that's the case, would you please let me know so I can be sure to shave my legs?

Okay. Must. Face. Work. NOW.

Ruthxxx
08-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Schmoodle, too funny! We all know you are really a sex-crazed 15 year old boy on drugs. Have fun with Cottage and Nessa - and take pictures! (I live vicariously!)

Loriann7
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Cottage, Hope your car repair isn't like mine was yesterday! Brought it in for oil change and inspection, walked out with that plus two new tires, new brake pads, front end alignment and a payment of $499.04!!!!!! Being unemployed that hurt! (Luckily I had it in the savings.)... but there goes my couch!

Cyndi, Are you sure I'm too far west? Do you go by Canandaigua at all?

Schmoodle, You faired better than I do when I fail to know whats for dinner and dethaw whatever it is! Nice job!

Femme, How rude of them to make you work on your birthday, on a saturday!

Indi, What a neat idea, 8/8/08 pot luck... never heard ofone for that reason!

Ruth How old is Hershey? Poor thing. I take it she's a chocolate lab? 50 lbs is way to low! I have a black lab that weighs that but for her it's fine, she's small! Vet couldn't believe how small, but he says she's one of the healthiest he's seen! So sorry for her!

Me, Unless someone calls for an interview I'm planning on getting some more work done around the house! A quick clean up in the main area, ie the kitchen, living room, den and bathroom shouldn't take more than oh, half hour. Then its into my room for the ultimate clean up! I have clothes in there I haven't touched in years! OUT they go (again.) I also need to move the couches and clean behind them so that when my friend comes for the couch I wont be embarrassed.

I woke up thinking about the place I interviewed at yesterday. This is not something I've ever done before! No, I don't have my hopes up, but I really would like to get this job! All in the Lord's hands!

Ruthxxx
08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Loriann, Hershey is a black Portuguese Water Dog. She is called Hershey because she's from Hershy PA. Her show weight was 45 pounds but that was in her girlhood before she had four litters of pups.

ladybugnessa
08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Loriann: good luck with the interview i hope you get the job you want. I know the feeling well. i've got my fingers crossed about this great job in NC... not a chance i can get it but i really really want it.

Schmoodle you know me. I'll keep you as my own sex slave HA-HA. sheesh did you tell mom and dad We've MET before??? do they want my name address and SSN?

Ruthxxx I'm so sorry Hershey is so sick. Bagel fell down yesterday again... oy.

indigal HI!

femmecreole actually hummus grapes and triscuit sounds PERFECT for lunch... if only i could keep it as lunch and not call it a SNACK

CyndiM hey you! have a good one

cottagebythesea ugh on the engine light. mine has been on for months. I need a new catalytic convertor... in my car that's about a grand... I do NOT have it. I'm driving this way pretending the car is fine. if it dies, oh well the car is 5 years old as it is...

Me: same old same old...work work work swim swim swim, eat eat eat and sleep sleep sleep. i'm working extra every day so I can use credit to take off next friday... no leave for me.. i feel better that way.... and we will have just gotten bri's unemployment check so i'll have money for produce...

AutumnRose
08-07-2008, 09:34 AM
GOOD MORNING ALL! I am thrilled to report my SB headache is gone! That is the wonderful but the best news is I weight myself this morning and was SHOCKED to see I was 288.3 lbs. I started at 299 exactly. Holy explative! I am totally excited.

Cottage- hope the care repair is nothing major!
Femme- folding chairs stink, so sorry!
Indi- how fun! Great idea!
Ruth- so sorry Hershey isn't doing well. Poor thing.

weezle
08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Morning. Thought I'd be ready to go back to work but I'm not, and I have no choice. At least I only have to work today and tomorrow. I'm not sleeping, and having a hard time when I eat (stomach hurts after.) I know it's all grief and stress, but I just can't seem to shake it. I'm just so tired. I really do look kind of like this :tired: only with larger bags under the eyes.

Hope all you girls have a good day. I'm going to try to start getting ready for work.

Lisa

Loriann7
08-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Nessa, will be praying for you!

WEEZLE! hugs hun! so sorry your having a hard time! :hug:

Autumn Rose, Glad you hung in there through the headache! CONGRATS on the loss. Please be sure not to get discouraged. Alot of that is water weight and when you move into p2 you will NOT see it move that quickly! But the important thing is to be eating healthy!

knittwhit
08-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Good morning! I'm enjoying a quiet cup of coffee before I wake up Carley. My engine light came on in the car yesterday, and while it runs fine, I'm taking it to the shop first thing. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't a costly repair! :crossed: I have a lot going on this month, and am trying to save a few dollars!

Haven't read through, so this may have already been suggested. Have you recently purchased gas? If so you may not have put your cap back on tight enough. Loosen it, put it back on and make sure it is on tight. If it is the gas cap sensor the light should go off after driving a short distance. It could just be the seal isn't tight, I had that happen a couple of times. The last time it happened I couldn't get it to go away, turned out to be a problem with the cap, no problem since they replaced it. Hope that helps :)

dcapulet
08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
hi all:

cottage- ah! car trouble is always a little scary. Hopefully it's a minor connection problem, and nothing major.

cyndi- mmm, vacation. where are you off to?

femme- i remember those workshop days. and the one on your birthday: boo!

Ruth- poor hershey. i hope she gets better.

indi- potluck is a great idea! 8/8/08 is my grandfather's birthday... he likes to celebrate at 8:08pm. :)

loriann: hope you land the job!

autumn: glad you're feeling better.

me: getting the kids ready for the day, prepping for our vacation on 8/18, trying to stay sane. that's all. :coffee:

zeffryn
08-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Cottage - My fingers are crossed for you!

Cyndi- have a great day!

Schmoo- Sounds good! Man, you guys eat a LOT of crabmeat! I'm jealous. also, the sex ring might be more fun if you don't shave your legs. Have fun with Nessa :)

Cat- kids start school on a Friday? Seems pointless...

Indigal- Have fun at the theater!

Ruthie - Poor Hershey!! Having a dog sick is like having a child sick for me :(

Lori - have fun cleaning ;) Also, good luck with the job search!

Nessa - have a fun day, and don't be too rough with Schmoo.

Autumn - Isn't that just the best feeling in the world. Ah, progress.

Weezle - feel better :(

--

Me: Not much on the schedule for today. DS is going to have a much needed nap. Tonight we're bringing him to dinner and the circus - dinner will be at a little dive bar that has awesome hamburgers. I think he will really enjoy the circus.

My mom and I went out shopping yesterday. I picked up a new pair of cute ballet flats (it's tough to walk in heels right now), a cute denim pencil skirt and a red, 3/4 sleeved scoop necked cotton shirt. It's always nice to get new clothes :)

After entering what seems like a million bloggy giveaways...the winners are being notified - finally - I've won two so far. A "Smart Mom" necklace (basically a necklace that is safe to be tugged and chewed on - no more broken jewelry!) and a $30 gift cert. to a bath and beauty website that sells handmade soap.....I'm never going to be able to choose just $30 worth ;)
I'm hoping to win more! I love these!

Have a great day, girls!

GONNABE165
08-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Good morning!

Cottage hope all turns out well with the car

Ruth :hug: for you, hershey and disney

Schmoodle your recipe sounded delish

Cat you poor thing they could at least offer better attention getter type chairs

Loriann sounds like you've left it in the right place - the Lords hands

Autumn congrats on the weight loss stick with it

Lisa i love your new avatar pic

Hello to everyone else. Hope everyone has a great and productive day

knittwhit
08-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Good morning beachers,
No time for personals today. It sounds like a couple of you are having a week like mine. DH left me a note on Tuesday (We work oposite shifts, lots of communication via sticky notes :lol:)...check the fridge it doesn't seem to be staying cold. We've noticed lately that the milk hasn't been lasting all the way to the end of the sell date. He turned the thermostat up before he went to bed and by the time I got home...sure enough it still wasn't cold...grrrr. So yesterday that meant cleaning out the old fridge in the basement that we use as a stock up freezer and keep soda, water, beer, root vegetables, onions etc in. It hadn't been gone through in a while, who knew onion peels can make such a mess and the apple that rolled out of the bag and in back behind the soda box a while ago :dizzy: Took the morning but it got all cleaned out and food from upstairs hauled down to the nice cold fridge. Luckily the freezer seems to be working ok and I didn't have to transfer any of that.
Today, it seems to be working fine. DH thinks if it is a problem with the thermostat, moving the switch to a different position may have temporarily solved the problem. We'll see what the repairman says tomorrow. We're hoping it is only the switch, with the other remodeling going on a new fridge isn't exactly in the budget.

hmacneil6
08-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Morning Ladies!! Happy Thursday!
Cottage - Here's hoping that the car is just a minor tweak that needs to be done. Let's hope it doesn't take up your day.

Cyndi - Have fun staying home and getting your work done. I would love to be able to work from home every now and again.

Schmoo - Thanks for the laugh this morning. I know there are TERRIBLE things that go on when some people meet from the internet, however, I find it hard to believe that 3FC is a place for crazies. I'm jealous that I can't join you all.

Cat - I hope you're able to get your room done. That's the one nice thing about teaching, you still get to go school shopping (which I LOVED when I was a kid).

Indigal - Your potlucks sound like such an awesome idea. I'm sad that I never thought of it.

Ruth - Sorry to hear that Hershey's got so much going on. I pray that it's all fairly superficial and not symptoms of something bigger. Hugs for Hershey.

Loriann - I really hope you find a job soon, but in the mean time you should know that your attitude about the whole thing sounds really good. I'm very impressed with the way you're getting through. Keep it up!

Nessa - Hooray for fresh produce!!! Have fun with the girls on Friday.

Autumnrose - CONGRATS! That's awesome news on the 1st week.

Lisa - Sorry you're still not feeling great. Loosing someone can be hard, and you can never predict how someone will deal with that loss. Hugs! BTW - Love the new avatar pic! You look great in it.

Knittwhit - MORNING! Sorry to hear about your fridge. I hope it's just something little and it doesn't need replacing.

decapulet - Where are you going on vacation?

Zeff - The circus is always so much fun. I hope your ds finds it as magical as we adults did back when we were young. Have fun!

Gonnabe - :wave:

Me - Only two more days before my summer break. Hallelujah! Tonight I'm meeting up with a bunch of my girlfriends for a night out. We're going to cheesecake factory and I'm planning on splurging and getting some cheesecake to share. They have a sugar free one that I might get, depending on what else we eat while I'm there. I'm really looking forward to seeing the girls. One of them move to Colorado and we haven't seen her for almost a year. If I get a good picture, I'll be sure to share.
Have a fantastic Thursday, Ladies!
ENJOY!!!

JessieW
08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Will be back with more later but I have a meeting in 3 minutes...

8 in China is like 7 is in the US. So it's very cool that the Olympics there start on 8/8/8 at 8:08 pm!! Since that is 7 AM our time I guess I won't get to watch much unless it's time delayed, which I assume it will be.

Loriann7
08-07-2008, 11:02 AM
hma, Thanks... I take life one thing at a time. I won't say I never get depressed, I do. But for the most part I try to be upbeat! Handle the situations. If we are truly God's children then we know (I know) that EVERYTHING is in God's control! Even Satan has to have permission before doing something (see Job)! I once said to a very dear friend (I miss her soo much) "well, under the circumstances..." she stopped me in my sentence.. "what are you doing under the circumstances?" good point! We as Christians are to go through the circumstances, but with a better view, that it's all ordained! :)

As for the cheesecake! If you have to get the sugar added, get one, take a few bites and pass it around. But you do know the nsa you can have a bit more? :) HaVE FUN!!

Knit Hope it's easy fix!
:wave: gonna!

zef! I (as do most women) love to get new clothes!

have a fun trip dc!

dcapulet
08-07-2008, 11:19 AM
hma- we are spending a full week in Seaside Heights, NJ, which is my favorite place in the world to be. it's a true family vacation, with my husband actually taking the time off. We're also bringing my mother in law. We're hoping to cheer her some with this family time; she has medical and personal issues. It's been a tough few years for her.

Pearlrose
08-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Good morning chickies not time for personals, will be glad when this week is over- I have to drive DD1 to lifeguarding every morning and then drive half hour more to get to work and same routine at night. I have filled up 3 times with gas already this week, yikes. Be glad to be on regular routine with a few work from home days.

Hope everything works out fine for those of you with issues.

Schmoodle didn't get to answer you on Tuesday but yes this crazy state charges book fees for registrating kids I had never heard of it before moving here. I don't know what they do if someone can't pay mabye work out payment plan :shrug:

Belle Mer
08-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Good morning, flying by here.

All is well. Just another routine day. Hope everyone has a wonderful day

hmacneil6
08-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Loriann - My dh and I have said from the beginning of our relationship "God's Timing is Perfect". It's become our mantra. Regardless of what we go through, we know that God is in complete control and that His timing is perfect. There are days when I would love to have a timeline, so I know certain things will come to fruition, but I wait, sometimes with patience, sometimes with tear, knowing that God loves me and having faith that the desires of my heart will come if my will is aligned with His. (Sorry, that was longer than expected, but good to get out)

dcapulet - Sounds like a good time. Have fun!

JellyBean32882
08-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Good afternoon everyone!

Well yesterday I cleaned out the downstairs bathroom so now we can actually use it, lol.. and last night I had to think "should I continue with my diet or should I eat McDonalds so I could do what I had to in the bathroom". Well I ate McDonalds, still couldn't do what I had to in the bathroom, so today I am calling my doctor (even though I have no insurance) and see if I can get that stuff he prescribed for my brother to 'regulate me'. So what if my father has to pay out a little more than $100, better than being fatigued and not losing weight and having more health problems because of some problem i've had all my life.

So how is everyone else's diet coming? I'm gonna be having one of them South Beach Diet Hot Subs for lunch, probably my extra Salmon with lemon pepper in the fridge for Dinner.

Fat Melanie
08-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Jellybean... I am confused about what you mean by 'regulate' or why you had to clean your bathroom. I'm not sure why McDonalds would regulate you if you were constipated (if that's what you meant.) Don't worry, I'm definitely not judging you from eating McDonalds, I've been eating fast food junk like, left and right. So I'm going back to phase 1 on tuesday or wednesday.

If you did mean constipated (not that I'm trying to get all up in your business), you should try the High Fiber V-8... that's what I've been buying. I didn't know v8 came in High fiber as well as the spicy hot kind, the low sodium kind, and the regular. You could use it as a soup base or something. Good luck on fixing the problem.

Ruthxxx; I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I hope he is okay.

Schmoodle, cottagebythesea, Ladynessa, have a good time and don't let that evil Lady Nessa & Cottagebythesea sell you into that sex slavery you guys were mentioning! lol. :p (I'm just kidding, have a good time guys.)

HcMacneil, omg, cheesecake... *drooling like a dog*

Me: I made garlic meatball soup with v8 juice and boilloiuon (sp) as the broth, and chopped onions and celery and lentils. Added in half of leftover bag of fresh frozen mustard greens, which to me are like spinach. BF was very dubious about the soup and didn't want to wait until it was done to eat, he tried to weazle some pizza from his brother, which to that I replied, "absolutely not!" and then tried to convince me that he SHOULD have a huge bowl of cereal but by then the soup was done, and he dubiously tried it... and then he loved it. Thank god. Before trying it though, he was like "what's IN this? Why is it red?" He thought meatballs in a soup was weird, but ended up really liking it. (When I talk about BF, it seems almost as if I'm speaking of a young son, heh). The soup was filling and I've got tons of leftovers to freeze. Anyway, not much to tell here.

JellyBean32882
08-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Jellybean... I am confused about what you mean by 'regulate' or why you had to clean your bathroom. I'm not sure why McDonalds would regulate you if you were constipated (if that's what you meant.) Don't worry, I'm definitely not judging you from eating McDonalds, I've been eating fast food junk like, left and right. So I'm going back to phase 1 on tuesday or wednesday.

If you did mean constipated (not that I'm trying to get all up in your business), you should try the High Fiber V-8... that's what I've been buying. I didn't know v8 came in High fiber as well as the spicy hot kind, the low sodium kind, and the regular. You could use it as a soup base or something. Good luck on fixing the problem.

Ruthxxx; I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I hope he is okay.

Schmoodle, cottagebythesea, Ladynessa, have a good time and don't let that evil Lady Nessa & Cottagebythesea sell you into that sex slavery you guys were mentioning! lol. :p (I'm just kidding, have a good time guys.)

HcMacneil, omg, cheesecake... *drooling like a dog*

Me: I made garlic meatball soup with v8 juice and boilloiuon (sp) as the broth, and chopped onions and celery and lentils. Added in half of leftover bag of fresh frozen mustard greens, which to me are like spinach. BF was very dubious about the soup and didn't want to wait until it was done to eat, he tried to weazle some pizza from his brother, which to that I replied, "absolutely not!" and then tried to convince me that he SHOULD have a huge bowl of cereal but by then the soup was done, and he dubiously tried it... and then he loved it. Thank god. Before trying it though, he was like "what's IN this? Why is it red?" He thought meatballs in a soup was weird, but ended up really liking it. (When I talk about BF, it seems almost as if I'm speaking of a young son, heh). The soup was filling and I've got tons of leftovers to freeze. Anyway, not much to tell here.

Mel, high fiber foods don't help my constipation.. I've tried everything.. thats why I'm going to the doc.. it's a bigger problem than most here think.

Ruthxxx
08-07-2008, 02:22 PM
If it's that big a problem, the doctor is certainly the one to give you advice, not us. Good luck with your visit.

Fat Melanie
08-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Mel, high fiber foods don't help my constipation.. I've tried everything.. thats why I'm going to the doc.. it's a bigger problem than most here think.

Yep, go to the doctor. Do they have any free clinics around you? Maybe you could qualify for one of them, in this county there is a free clinic for people who aren't insured. Anyhow it does sound like a serious problem. Have you tried any of those things like Dulcolax, miralax and stuff? You could try something like that every few hours or so until you are able to get up with a doctor.

Good luck and hope you do get better. I'm not a doctor of course, and yes he is the one to tell you what to do, but there's some common sense involved in this to for a layperson to give some sort of advice: I know you said high fiber doesn't work, but keep trying it, salads with v-8 juice (high fiber kind) as a beverage, metamucil drinks, dulcolax (um, don't do the metamucil and dulcolax all at once, just follow the bottle's instructions if you were able to get your hands on some) and keep drinking plenty of water, plenty and plenty of water, and fruit juices, until you can see a doc.

Forgot to also mention: strong coffee always does the trick for me. Caffeinated. Doesn't have to be black. A couple of cups of that might do the trick! I've had my bouts with constipation too. It's not fun.

LynneA
08-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Hello all,

Well I'm a little confused!

Started Phase 1 on Sunday, all been going well. Haven't really noticed the absence of carbs with the exception of my beloved oatmeal for breakfast.

I went to see my nutritionist yesterday to talk about the insulin resistance and PCOS and how to handle it via a low carb diet. I mentioned that I was going to do SBD and asked her opinion. She said that SBD was a good idea but to skip Phase 1 and go straight to Phase 2 because of Phase 1 being too restrictive. She has also said that it's ok for me to be eating oatmeal, rice, even bread as long as it's whole grain/wheat.

So, I'm not sure where I'm headed. Do I see Phase 1 out? I would like to eat oatmeal again! Do I advance straight to Phase 2? Time to read the sodding book.

Thought I had a plan worked out!

Loriann7
08-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Hello all,

Well I'm a little confused!

Started Phase 1 on Sunday, all been going well. Haven't really noticed the absence of carbs with the exception of my beloved oatmeal for breakfast.

I went to see my nutritionist yesterday to talk about the insulin resistance and PCOS and how to handle it via a low carb diet. I mentioned that I was going to do SBD and asked her opinion. She said that SBD was a good idea but to skip Phase 1 and go straight to Phase 2 because of Phase 1 being too restrictive. She has also said that it's ok for me to be eating oatmeal, rice, even bread as long as it's whole grain/wheat.

So, I'm not sure where I'm headed. Do I see Phase 1 out? I would like to eat oatmeal again! Do I advance straight to Phase 2? Time to read the sodding book.

Thought I had a plan worked out!

WELCOME LYNN! The purpose of P1 is to get rid of cravings for bad sugar, carbs etc.. to DETOXIFY... and when movingto P2, it should be rather slowly, paying close attention to how the foods you reintroduce in react with your system! If you wish, do p1.5.. have the oatmeal, but be sure it's the right kind, not instant! Rolled oats, steel oats are better!

Loriann7
08-07-2008, 04:21 PM
ARGH! I pay my bills online usually pay phone, electric and fuel same week so when I check the bank and see electric and phone, I forgot to check fuel. Just had surprise visitor, the fuel company. Had to pay 454 to keep from shutting off! I've NEVER had this happen before!!!!!!!!! I'm both embarrassed, and in a jam! That brings cash flow down to 50 for the week after yesterdays damage! Good thing I filled up the gas tank while out! Not sure how I'm going to make this last for groceries for a week! Aldi's, here I come :(.

JellyBean32882
08-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Yep, go to the doctor. Do they have any free clinics around you? Maybe you could qualify for one of them, in this county there is a free clinic for people who aren't insured. Anyhow it does sound like a serious problem. Have you tried any of those things like Dulcolax, miralax and stuff? You could try something like that every few hours or so until you are able to get up with a doctor.

Good luck and hope you do get better. I'm not a doctor of course, and yes he is the one to tell you what to do, but there's some common sense involved in this to for a layperson to give some sort of advice: I know you said high fiber doesn't work, but keep trying it, salads with v-8 juice (high fiber kind) as a beverage, metamucil drinks, dulcolax (um, don't do the metamucil and dulcolax all at once, just follow the bottle's instructions if you were able to get your hands on some) and keep drinking plenty of water, plenty and plenty of water, and fruit juices, until you can see a doc.

Forgot to also mention: strong coffee always does the trick for me. Caffeinated. Doesn't have to be black. A couple of cups of that might do the trick! I've had my bouts with constipation too. It's not fun.

Ya actually there is a free clinic around here called Americares, i plan on going there to get some info and see if I qualify since I do live with my parents still and some places basic eligibility on family income which is bull.. so who knows.

But I know this much, I'm gonna have to eat me some major ice cream - that mostly will solve the problem temporarily - cause I'm lactose intolerant.

zeffryn
08-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Why don't you just drink some milk instead?

Since you aren't under 18, they shouldn't consider your parents income in determining your eligibility. Most often the legal emancipation age is 24, living with your parents or not.

Fat Melanie
08-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Ya actually there is a free clinic around here called Americares, i plan on going there to get some info and see if I qualify since I do live with my parents still and some places basic eligibility on family income which is bull.. so who knows.

But I know this much, I'm gonna have to eat me some major ice cream - that mostly will solve the problem temporarily - cause I'm lactose intolerant.

Just lie and say you don't live with your parents or something. I hope you can get the medical treatment that you need.

I don't know if ice cream is the best solution. :p

Do you mind if I ask why do you live with your parents? That's personal so feel free to tell me to mind my own business. I was just wondering if you've recently had to move in due to crazy-high rent, or foreclosure or a breakup with a bf. (Oh my god, that sounds so nosy. I apologize. I was just curious is all!) :) The economy is pretty horrible right now.

CyndiM
08-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Well this day stinks and I responded maturely by going way off the SBD reservation. We had hail this afternoon, not the little ice pellets, the actual golf ball sized hail for 15 minutes followed by 10 minutes of moth ball sized hail. Who knew it really got that big?! And it totally wiped out my most of my garden - greens, squash, and tomatoes have had it. I expected a little damage but the tomato branches were snapped off and the big tomatoes all have huge chunks ripped out of them :( And I'm pretty sure the dark chocolate with espresso bar I just ate was more than 100 calories (thanks to FitDay I now know it was 216 calories). And I'm still really bummed. Oh yeah, and my car hood and trunk are all dented up too. Since it's over 100,000 I'm not going to lose sleep over that.

thus ends my whine for the day :(

PS - anyone have a good green tomato recipe. I seem to have a lot and they aren't going to ripen so I'd like to use them

Loriann7
08-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Cyndi, now you got me wanting to watch fried green tomatos again! love that movie! :)

JellyBean32882
08-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Just lie and say you don't live with your parents or something. I hope you can get the medical treatment that you need.

I don't know if ice cream is the best solution. :p

Do you mind if I ask why do you live with your parents? That's personal so feel free to tell me to mind my own business. I was just wondering if you've recently had to move in due to crazy-high rent, or foreclosure or a breakup with a bf. (Oh my god, that sounds so nosy. I apologize. I was just curious is all!) :) The economy is pretty horrible right now.

I'm living with my parents cause I don't have a job and I can't drive until I have a job, and there is no freakin jobs around my area cause it sucks, and I have no experience in anything which makes it harder to get jobs these days. And the reason I have no job is well, I graduated high school (adult ed) when I was 21 and wasn't allowed to have a job then either.. and since I was lik 12 I've had mental issues in which I've had therapy for, didn't do anything.. and so now I figure once I lose weight I'll actually have self esteem and confidence and fight off anyone who gets in my way in life..

cottagebythesea
08-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Cyndi, you poor girl! You must be devastated, I know how much joy you got from your garden and looked forward to all the fresh produce. :( I've heard you can ripen green tomatoes by hanging the entire plant (roots and all) upside down. I don't know if it really works, but what do you have to lose? As far as recipes goes, the only one I know of is dipping them in egg and cornmeal and frying them. Not SBD friendly, but delicious. I know the Amish make a green tomato jam and a green tomato relish. Good luck using them up. :hug:

Fat Melanie
08-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Jellybean, I'll tell you a little secret... I can't drive either! I mean, technically I know how to drive, but I have never had my license, when I was a minor/teen my grandparents refused to pay for insurance yet did not want me to work, then as I got older and moved out, I worked but could not afford the insurance let alone a car, (let alone my rent and electricity!). Now at 22, still no license or car and a lot of people probably are raising their eyebrows, but it honestly was virtually impossible. I don't know about the other states, but in NC you have to have insurance to get a license, and insurance costs money! And of course, there's the issue of saving up to buy a vehicle that you can get insurance ON... and for me, the past few years after moving out of my rich grandparents house at 18, money has been extremely tight and I've learned what it's like to live the poor life. Luckily, soon I'm going to change all of that, as far as the license goes, 'cause my BF has been wanting to get me insurance and a driver's license and now a car, especially since I'm the primary caretaker of our son. Even if we can't manage the car part right now, I can still drive his, once I get the insurance and license and all.

And it's the same where I live, there are no jobs, even for people with college degrees (BF has computer tech certifications and does this as a side job from the house after work and on the weekends, but has had trouble finding a real job in the computer field so he has to do mediocre construction sort of stuff for the time being). I haven't had a job in awhile so I understand, even before I was pregnant it was really hard to get any sort of job. I was a cashier, and then a telephone book deliverer (a lady drove while I delivered and she made most of the cash AND I had to pay gas)... This county I live in SUCKS as far as all that goes, not to mention there is no public transportation here. So I understand where you're coming from.

But I wish there was a way other than just losing weight, that you could gain self esteem and confidence and fight those peeps off. Losing weight is great and I'm sure would do wonders for anyone's self esteem; I know it will definitely do wonders for mine; but there's more to it than just looking good to gain self esteem. There's got to be other things that you're good at, talents and skills that you have, that you've got to give yourself credit for, and realize you're worthy of self esteem and confidence. Also, another thing in common I see: I was in therapy from around 12 on as well, and through high school, after my parents seperated. I was basically forced to see a school psychologist because the teachers thought I started acting withdrawn and anxiety ridden (today, as an adult, I am quite talkative but still anxiety ridden, so I guess that goes to show that therapy doesn't do much good!) I see it is pretty late now and likely you're in bed, so I will probably repost this and requote you in tomorrow's thread to continue the conversation. :)