General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8

Thumbs down oh so lonely

So, I'm in a little dilemma. I just moved to Reno, NV in the beginning of June and I know no one! I moved here with my BF and at the moment he's away for work training for days at a time.
I would LOVE to just go out and meet people, but its hard now that I'm not in high school and everyone my age (early 20s) usually has their cliques established and don't know if they want to accept one more. I don't know where to go by myself to meet people. I work with one other people kind of close to my age at my work, but I can't see a outside-of-work-relationship evolving between us.

blllaaaaaah I'm just ranting because I have absolutely nothing to do right now.
tater tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

HAng in there Tater ... We're here to help you along your weight loss journey and other journeys too... Get involved in gym or even a clubs for friends of like mind. You'll meet new friends soon don't you worry...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 194/see ticker/130

Height: 5'5

I know how you feel. I just graduated from college and moved back to my hometown. The friends I made in college have scattered all across the world. I've decided this "transitional" age of early twenties isn't exactly fun. I hate how much middle-aged people complain about getting older. I wish I was in my thirties and had everything established... my career... my love life... my friendships... my own house... etc.

But sorry, to rant a little there, hang in there! You should go explore your new area. Go check out the local coffee houses, pick up a chambers of commerce brochure that will list all the businesses. Go for a long walk around the town, that way you'll be burning calories and potentially meeting new people.
KitgetsFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #4  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitgetsFit View Post
I know how you feel. I just graduated from college and moved back to my hometown. The friends I made in college have scattered all across the world.
Kit, I am in the exact same boat. I literally have to begin a new life - make friends from scratch, begin a career from scratch, meet a partner, move out on my own wherever I find work - maybe to a place where I don't know anyone, am transforming my body and losing weight, etc. I'm sure I'm overlooking the things I take for granted, but in terms of the big stuff - nothing, and I really mean nothing, is settled or well-developed for me. It feels tough and it's especially not easy having to do it alone with very little/poor support, but I've decided to be positive about it and look for the silver lining: in some ways, my life is a blank canvas and I get to decide how to paint it! I get to focus on creating the life that I want for myself. I get to choose on so much, and tough/anxiety-stirring as that can be, it's also kind of exciting

Tater tash, I've been in your situation before, where I moved somewhere and didn't know anyone. Definitely get involved if you can and try to meet people. I recommend places where you feel happy and comfortable, that way you're likely to meet people who share your interests and that will create an immediate bond Ideas that come to mind are things like taking a community class (ex. an art class, a foreign language class), joining a community sports team if that's do-able/enjoyable for you, a local theatre group, taking a yoga class, etc. Have you heard of http://www.meetup.com/ ?

Also, this might sound funny, but do you like hanging out with yourself? I've found that sometimes having a couple of days to myself can be peaceful once I find a way to channel my time and energy (i.e. so that I don't feel bored!). I love people but I've come to really appreciate spending quality time with myself too But if you're new to the area, going out to meet people and make friends is definitely a good idea
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Because my hubby is in the army I move every couple of years.. it seems like when I make some really good friends we have to up and move... but then again I love being able to experience living in different parts of the US. We just moved from Fort Drum NY(its like 20 miles from Canada.. so its COLD) where there are 2 seasons... Snow and more Snow.. to Ft Hood Texas.. where it is 2 seasons too... sun and more sun LOL.

Right now I just have a gym friend.. I meet her at the gym we exercise and go home.. I don't really talk to her outside the gym.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #6  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Tater Tash,
I remember being in your position in my early twenties. I started taking art courses at the local junior college and I joined two volunteer organizations. Before you know it, I had friends, a social life, and I met my husband in an art class! We are still married and doing ceramics!

Hang in there, it will get better.

Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 137/132/122

Height: 5' 3"

Are you interested in nature-oriented activities like hiking or bird-watching? The Reno chapters of the Sierra Club, Audubon Society and Nevada Plant Society have outings throughout the summer and monthly meetings during the winter. People of all ages are involved in these groups.

It takes a while to get established in a community, so don't get discouraged.
CatR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #8  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsgurl0531 View Post
We just moved from Fort Drum NY(its like 20 miles from Canada.. so its COLD) where there are 2 seasons... Snow and more Snow.
sounds like you were there only during the wintertime Jonsgurl. Much of Canada has 4 VERY distinct seasons, unless you're way up north somewhere and even then, the climate varies (and by way up north, I do mean WAY up north). I live fairly close to Fort Drum, and these days the weather is often in the 30s (celsius) with the humidex (ranges between 86-95 degree Farenheit). The West coast (southern BC) tends to have milder summers, and maybe the East Coast too, given that it's set on the ocean. But in general, our weather's similar to what you guys have in the States, especially the regions that share the border. It's not Texas but it's still pretty hot And yes, in a couple of months, it will probably get very cold But before then, we will have a gorgeous autumn

Last edited by beautifulone; 08-04-2008 at 01:05 AM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:13 AM   #9  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Check into Meetup (www.meetup.com) and see if there are any public groups (public get together locations) you might be interested in and are near to you. These Meetup groups are just started by anyone.
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:38 AM   #10  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Yeah, honey - what they all said! It's a situation most of us fall into at times, and it can feel a bit daunting, but actually there are LOTS of avenues available to you. There will be classes and local community groups and voluntary organisations out there - go find out what there is and try several things. Don't put too much pressure on yourself - don't expect to immediately find a perfect little group of mates, just go along and join in with stuff, and be open to people. It might take a little while to find people you really like hanging out with, but they're out there and you'll find them!
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 194/see ticker/130

Beautiful One,

Thanks for the encouragement. I completely empathize with you. All of the "big" things in my life are completely up in the air too. But you're right, we do have a blank canvas to put together our lives the way we want to. I just think things would be easier if I had the body I want. Is that crazy? Like, I would have more confidence to meet new people. *Sigh* I will lose weight... I will lose weight... I will lose weight...
KitgetsFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:08 AM   #12  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

I'm 19 and I've already lived in 4 countries and 11 states. I can totally relate.

You should consider volunteering somewhere. That way you'll meet lots of new people where you already have a common interest, or join some type of class. Dance, cooking, yoga, scrap booking. Pick up a hobby or try a lot out. The more you get used to meeting new people, the easier time you'll have meeting new friends.

Hang in there, though. I can absolutely 100% relate. Being lonely is one of the worst feelings in the world, especially in a place you're not familiar with.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #13  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Kit,
You said:
I just think things would be easier if I had the body I want. Is that crazy? Like, I would have more confidence to meet new people.

I know what you mean...I used to think this way until my late 40's and realized how much of life I was missing by letting my weight hold me back. I am still shy in a swimsuit, but I just buck up and do what I want. I started looking around at all the courageous people with severe limitations and disabilities who were getting on with their lives and decided not to be ashamed or self-conscious. If people judge me about my weight, that is their limitation! They are missing out on a vibrant, kind, intelligent person! I just tell myself that when I become self-conscious.

Come back here and tell us about your attempts and successes! We'll cheer you on!

Sheri

Last edited by Quixotica; 08-07-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

I too can relate. I moved to CA from Kansas City, MO and all my family is in Arkansas. I new a hand full of people in CA but I didn't want to be a burden on anybody. So I have learned how to do things by myself and I'm meeting people! I used to NEVER go out to eat by myself. I was the kind of person that I would rather read my book in my car than sit in a Starbucks by myself and read. I know, very sad. As I learn to be more and more comfortable in my own skin the more I enjoy things.

I've been meeting random people everywhere. I joke with people about how I'm new and from Arkansas. It usually sparks a conversation. I also got involved in my church and going to start volunteering at a children's home.

I'm so glad that I'm being more out going even if it's a stretch for me. I am thankful that I still talk to my friends and family back home and for here. Good luck!
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote