UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #1  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Default Your too thin

i was told today at tea time that i needed to stop loosing weight....
ive been told i look to gaunt and thin and ill....
thing is im still not finished on my journey....
and i do think i still look overweight....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I think people are entitled to their own opinions, but as long as you're not too thin medically speaking, you should do what makes you feel comfortable. According to your height, I don't think your weight is too thin. I used to weigh 145 and I'm 5'9.5" and even then, I wasn't too thin by any means. I looked really great. If you're not sure, maybe you could check the BMI charts and make sure you're not in the underweight category. I think people get used to you a certain way and maybe that's what's going on. Congrats on your success, by the way!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 8"

Sometimes when someone is used to seeing the bigger version, the smaller us "looks gaunt" to them. As long as you are eating a healthy balance of food and getting all your nutrients and enough calories, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

And sometimes the person who says we are getting too thin, is someone who needs to lose weight themselves.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
And sometimes the person who says we are getting too thin, is someone who needs to lose weight themselves.
Oh, my - yes. My experience exactly!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #6  

You probably look great..your BMI would be about 23, and as *healthy* is counted as between about 19 and 25, it's no problem! You're healthy as you are, or you can be slimmer and still be healthy, it's up to you. You arn't *too* thin.
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 138/127/120

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
Oh, my - yes. My experience exactly!

Haha, mine too. There's this really obnoxious neighbor of mine, and well...let's just say she could stand to lose a few pounds. She looked at me the other day and says, "You're getting so skinny" and I said "Thank you" and she laughed mockingly and said "That wasn't a compliment." And I just stared at her, not knowing how to react because I was so taken aback! Then, she has the nerve to say "You look a lot older now, you should put more weight back on."

Uhm, what?

Yeah, people are STUPID. Don't listen to them. As long as you're within a healthy weight range, the negative reaction from people is either jealousy or stupidness.
Zima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #8  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zima View Post
Haha, mine too. There's this really obnoxious neighbor of mine, and well...let's just say she could stand to lose a few pounds. She looked at me the other day and says, "You're getting so skinny" and I said "Thank you" and she laughed mockingly and said "That wasn't a compliment." And I just stared at her, not knowing how to react because I was so taken aback! Then, she has the nerve to say "You look a lot older now, you should put more weight back on."
Oh WOW, the audacity! That's one of the most shockingly rude things I've heard.

I have to say that I am both pleased and relieved that I don't even understand that type of jealousy and insecurity... and I can usually empathize or at least play's devil's advocate to the other side fairly well!! - but oh wow, whatever's going on inside her can't be pretty ! Kinda makes me feel sorry/sad for her.

Last edited by beautifulone; 07-25-2008 at 10:28 PM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:41 PM   #9  
Good Charlotte fan !!

S/C/G: 184.2/176/135

Height: 5 foor 1 inch.

If your BMI is 23, then not much to worry about. May be the person who made the remark has some weight to lose. Some people can not handle the success of others.
Best of luck to you.
FairyVickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #10  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5'7"

I may be complimented by that

They say 5'7" should go about 135 (hence my target)... so I'm sure you look VERY good...and thin, but most likely people just aren't used to seeing the smaller you.

PS You look great in your avatar.

Last edited by MalibuBeachBound; 07-25-2008 at 11:09 PM.
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:04 AM   #11  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

yer my target is going to be revised when i hit 140....
will more than likely drop it to 133 or 126....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:17 AM   #12  
Where's my flannel?

S/C/G: 216/213/168

Height: 5'5"

Oh, ignore them! You know that your lowest goal weigh (126) is probably the absolute minimum you'll go for (BMI 19.7).

BUT, could you do with some toning up to make your thinner body look more fit/athletic?

I know that this will involve some weight gain, but it might be worth a thought!

But if you already look a bit buff - ignore me too

Some people will always be 'concerned' when their fat friend starts to look too good!

Pah! I say. Pah, and humbug...
Pobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #13  

I'm having people say that and I'm still 15lbs overweight!!
sarahgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #14  

When someone said that to me - I stopped. I think it's easy to get very singleminded and addicted to seeing the weight fall off, to the point you go beyond what you need to and lose sight of having fun and getting on with your life. But then I've always had a big # on the scales for small measurements - at five foot 6, if I weigh 11 and a half stones, I look ILL - and with a BMI around 26 I look like I've gone too far - BMI of 19 I'd look like a corpse. Years ago when I was consistently a size 6-8 (my whole adult life right til I had kids), I was still a hefty 9 and a half st on the scales - yet had wrists so small I could wear my christening bracelet. I had a friend who was the identical size, weight and height and everyone also thought she weighed about 6 st, me too - yet we were both 9 and a half exactly - we used to laugh about how 'heavy' we were (but that was in the early 80s when most people were much smaller than now!) Sometimes, by focussing on the scales, you lose all balance is what I'm trying to say. BMIs and scales are only averages - but for me, at 5 foot 6 - 120-odd lbs would make me look like I'd been literally starved. I get the *You're looking ill - STOP IT NOW* comments at 11 and a half st - and I listen to them!

Last edited by PhatPhoenix; 08-03-2008 at 07:31 AM.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:09 AM   #15  

just keep going at it until you reach your desire weight.
feypore is offline   Reply With Quote