WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 360/309/185

Height: 6'1

Default WW Ignorant... lol

I had a friend years ago that LOVED WW, and lost quite a bit of weight...My question is.... because I'm totally WW ignorant...

My body hates low carb diets... I become a bear storing fat for the winter... however I can do a low fat diet and be happy... on WW- is it geared towards an over all - all inclusive diet fat, carbs, proteins... are is it really more low carb? I've wanted to do it for a while now to see if it will work for me, but financially can't just try it LOL It would have to be something I could stick with...

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Thanks in advance!

So ignorant I put this in the wrong thread I think LOL Sorry-

Last edited by bettyred; 07-21-2008 at 08:30 PM.
bettyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

WW is not low-carb dieting. I love it. I have tried the low-carb diets, and like you, my body does not like them (okay, maybe not so much my body, but I don't like them). When I was low-carb dieting it seemed I was losing and regaining the same eight pounds. I actually don't attend meetings either. I do it at home and found all the information online and from friends. If you are interested, I could give you the basic information.

A lot of people love the fact that they are being held accountable, though, and really enjoy the meetings. I just was low on cash. I have lost 30 pounds since April 7, 2008, and feel great. I don't feel that I miss out on ANY food.

WW is very well-rounded as far as carbs, protein, and fat goes. I tend to lean more towards lower fat and lower carb (lots of egg white omelets and lean chicken and salads), but nothing is off limits. It really puts portion control into perspective though.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hey Betty! Like Mamaspank said, WW is not low-carb. I also love it, it's the only sensible plan I've ever tried, and I know it works! (No offense to anyone else's plans, I just haven't tried them!) I love my carbs, and often eat cereal for breakfast and lunch, and then whole wheat pasta for dinner. I'm sure that's not the best way to eat long term, but hey, it's better than going to McDonald's every other day, right?

I don't go to meetings either (can't squeeze anything else into the budget!), but I think that just being able to check in here kind of gives me that accountability feeling.

I'm sure that you can gather enough info to do WW at home if you're not up for meetings. If you have specific questions, just ask! Good luck!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Weight Watchers has an aspect which is effectively as low-carb as you want to make it, called Core. On the Core plan whole grains are emphasized over refined, but they are rationed in that anything above a serving or two per day you have to start counting points for, and you only get 35 per week.

Flex is the part of the plan that you can make into whatever you want. You get a certain daily allowance of points as well as a weekly pot to draw from, and you structure your days as suits you best. That being said, only good things can come of you de-emphasizing refined white carbs anyhow, and focusing on healthy, natural foods. But Flex gives you more wiggle room.

Both plans are fantastic and I know people get great successes out of both of them. I am personally a Flexer and will probably never be otherwise! I am also a meetings person and would recommend them to anyone, but I know a lot of people hate to spend the money so they do WW at home and use the forums as their support.

Best of luck to you and if you have any other questions, just ask!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Not on WW, but what I learned at WW played a large role in the program I eventually created for myself. I think I joined WW for the first time when I was 10 or 11 (around 1976-7) I know I joined as soon as I was able to.

Before 1994, WW was an exchange program, and I liked the exchange plans alot. I was a member when they switched over to points, and I would have rather stuck with exchanges. I also was a member after Core was introduced and I had just read the South Beach book, so Core was very compatible in terms of the choices.

Not too long ago, I realized that the only plans that I have had any success with (that didn't have a dangerous drug component) are those that had weekly counseling or support group sessions. Weight Watcher's, Nutrisystem, and TOPS. I tried TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly) in the early 90's, because I was going to graduate school and couldn't afford WW. TOPS (although they always have allowed members to follow any food plan they desire to) offered an exchange program that was nearly identical to WW's exchange plan at the time (both modeled after the diabetic exchange plan created 50 years or more ago). I lost 60 lbs on TOPS, but moved to a new city and didn't like the groups I found there (mostly excuses in hind sight), and basically thought I could do it on my own (which has never worked for me).

I still have all my WW materials, and refer to them frequently. Hubby and I are currently in TOPS (mostly because one month for both of us is cheaper than one week for one of us at WW). I'm following an exchange plan trying to choose my foods based on what I learned from South Beach and the WW Core list. On days when it's inconvenient to use my journal, I revert to points because I can do them in my head (for example a day out of town, shopping or visiting friends and family).

For me, food plan is not nearly as vital as the regular accountability and support. You have to decide, if you can, what is the biggest issue for yourself. If you can do it on your own, but want the food plan you can go for a few weeks until you get all the materials and then quit (or bypass even that and buy them on the internet). I know one of the members in my TOPS group donated her WW materials to a fellow member who wanted to follow the WW food plan.

So, you've got to know what is key for you. Is it the food plan? Is it the weekly weigh-in or the support? Is the support here enough, or do you need to face "live" people? How much can you afford to spend each week, not only on food, but for the support if you need it?

Good luck with whatever you decide is best for you.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 360/309/185

Height: 6'1

I can't thank you all enough for such great info!!

Mamaspank- I will definitely take you up on your offer for the basics.
I think something like WW would be more in tune to what I'm doing, I don't mind working out- I'm a calorie counter and some days that works, but some days I'm more disappointed because I can't make the calorie count- no matter how hard I try.

Auntie-g-- I stay away from white breads and noodles, and LOVE whole-grain pastas and breads LOL I find however that the more of those carbs I eat the more sweets I want... and my body rashes out on sugars LOL Guess thats one way to stop eating sugar? lol But I'm such a veggie eater- and whole wheat flour tortillas are my current addiction LOL

Suitejudyblueeyes- I would probably be a meetings person just so I have to face someone on a regular basis and they can go- HA- you are so not doing what you're suppose to LOL Plus it would be nice to have someone in my area doing the same LOL

Kaplods- I am mindful of the diabetic exchanges because my father is diabetic. I can definitely see how meetings would help, and can't put a price on success. I just looked up TOPS and there are several local meeting spots. I really don't mind the exercise, it's getting my food right without being obsessed about every little bit I put into my mouth LOL Not a great dieting attitude is it?

Thanks again everyone for the info, it is most definitely appreciated
bettyred is offline   Reply With Quote