South Beach Diet - Need advice! Not getting expected results on South Beach!

mickey13
07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi Ladies! I'm new to this forum and to this site. I came across it while surfing the net trying to find other's experienecs on South Beach. I briefly viewed some posts and it seems like most of you are having great success on the diet so Congrats! Unfortunately for me, I don't feel like I'm succeeding like I had planned and like the book says and am growing more and more frustrated. Tomorrow will be a exactly 4 weeks for me since I've been on South Beach and my total weight loss for this has been 5 lbs.
In the first two weeks, I dropped about 4lbs and I followed the book accordingly, didn't cheat, etc. The third week, I started phase 2 by incorporating more carbs, but actually I never really added in many more. I might have a sugarfree/fat free pudding on a day or a piece of whole grain bread. Last weekend, (which was the weekend of my 3rd week), I wound up cheating on my diet because there were some celebrations, etc. I cheated a little on Saturday and on Sunday. When I weighed myself Monday morning, I was 2 lbs heavier. Though I cheated on the weekend, I went right back to my diet on Monday and its been more of Phase 1 again.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had slow success and if anyone knows why its so slow for me. I know I cheated, but that was after 3 weeks and I went right back. Still, i'm wondering why I only had lost 4 lbs in the 1st 2 weeks and since then 1 lb.
Any input, thoughts, or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks. :?::?:

Ruthxxx
07-18-2008, 05:06 PM
First of all, :welcome: to 3FC and to the South Beach part of the Forum.

There could be many reasons why you have not lost on this plan. First of all, how much do you want to lose and how tall are you? How old are you? Have you been dieting before? How bad was the cheat? Were you drinking enough water?

Give us a bit more info and I'm sure the other Beachies will be in here with ideas. Hang out a bit - there's lots of info and support here. Check out the stickies in the FAQ Section.

ladybugnessa
07-18-2008, 05:10 PM
this is a plan for life. it's not very forgiving scale wise of cheats...

one cheat meal can undo weeks of good eating. I know...

5 pounds in 4 weeks is awesome. you don't say how much you have to lose or how old you are or how active etc... but those things matter

5 weeks in you should be on your third week of transition and eating 1-2 grains per day and 1-2 fruit servings per day.

are you exercising?
are you drinking enough water?

Belle Mer
07-18-2008, 05:42 PM
The things that keep me from losing as much weight as I would like on SBD:

1. Too many "sweet" treats, even if they are sugar free. There is something about sweet-tasting (sugar free) treats that mess up my brain and keep me from losing. I personally do better eating 1 square of dark chocolate on occasion, than eating a lot of sugar free puddings, diet cokes, cool whip, etc.

2. Not enough veggies. If I think I am eating enough, I still try and add more. Never enough!

3. Too much cheese. That sneaks up on me every time.

5 pounds is awesome! SBD isn't a fast weight loss diet. Actually, I call it the "patience" diet, because it isn't a quick fix. But it is something you can actually LIVE with in the long run. Hang in there and welcome.

CyndiM
07-18-2008, 05:59 PM
As others have noted it's hard to say too much without knowing your stats. The less you have to lose, the slower it goes. That said 5lbs in 4 weeks is awesome!

Things that contributed to my success include regular exercise, lots of fiber rich veggies (not salads - greens, broccoli, cabbage, etc) and regular servings of beans.

hereicome
07-18-2008, 09:31 PM
I tried south beach before and stalled at 30 pounds, I have come to realize I need to calorie count, too. Doesn't matter how much I stick to the diet, my choices have to be the lower clalorie ones or I will not lose. I have just started this a few days ago and I think this is my answer.

TwynnB
07-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Could you post a day or two's diary of what you're eating? The ladies here are wonderful at helping out with changes that might be beneficial.

mickey13
07-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks ladies for all your tips!
I appreciate it. Some of you asked for my stats. Sorry, that i forgot to mention them. I'm about 5'4", age 33, and I have about 30 lbs to loose.
I drink alot of liquids, but not necessarily alot of water. I may drink 2 big glasses a day, have maybe 1 cup of coffee (w/caffiene), 1 diet soda, and drink alot of diet tea. I don't have a regular exercise routine, but I try to get in some exercise when I can. I may go to aerobics class 2x a week, and also may go walking for an hour or so. I try to get in at least 3 hours of decent exercise a week.

I hope this gives more info to help me figure why I'm not loosing.
Thank You.

One more thing I just thought of, I have been snacking on sugar free/or reduced fat peanut butter. I have about 2-3 tbsp each day. I thought this was good but should I not be doing this?

Thanks again for all your help!

mickey13
07-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks ladies for all your tips!
I appreciate it. Some of you asked for my stats. Sorry, that i forgot to mention them. I'm about 5'4", age 33, and I have about 30 lbs to loose.
I drink alot of liquids, but not necessarily alot of water. I may drink 2 big glasses a day, have maybe 1 cup of coffee (w/caffiene), 1 diet soda, and drink alot of diet tea. I don't have a regular exercise routine, but I try to get in some exercise when I can. I may go to aerobics class 2x a week, and also may go walking for an hour or so. I try to get in at least 3 hours of decent exercise a week.

I hope this gives more info to help me figure why I'm not loosing.
Thank You.

One more thing I just thought of, I have been snacking on sugar free/or reduced fat peanut butter. I have about 2-3 tbsp each day. I thought this was good but should I not be doing this?

Thanks again for all your help!

thunderbegone
07-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I think the experts on this board would probably also need a few days from your food journal. Are you just having the peanut butter or are you also snacking on nuts?

zeffryn
07-21-2008, 11:21 AM
You definitely need to be drinking more water....water helps with weightloss, and most of us don't lose if we aren't getting a lot of water. Upping your exercise will help with your loss as well....try getting in 5-6 hours a week.

Your peanut butter should be nothing but peanuts and maybe a little salt. Most supermarkets carry natural peanut butters on their regular shelves now.
We are allowed 2 T. of fats per day....peanut butter counts towards those fats....if you have more, your loss will be slower.

Barb0522
07-21-2008, 11:32 AM
You don't want reduced fat peanut butter since lots of bad stuff are added to it. You want the ingredient list to just say peanuts and possibly salt. You are limited to 2 TBSP a day as long as you have no nuts. Or you can have 1 TBSP and a half serving of nuts.

Can you post a couple day's menu to give us an idea of what you are eating?

ladybugnessa
07-21-2008, 11:32 AM
You definitely need to be drinking more water....water helps with weightloss, and most of us don't lose if we aren't getting a lot of water. Upping your exercise will help with your loss as well....try getting in 5-6 hours a week.

Your peanut butter should be nothing but peanuts and maybe a little salt. Most supermarkets carry natural peanut butters on their regular shelves now.
We are allowed 2 T. of fats per day....peanut butter counts towards those fats....if you have more, your loss will be slower.

actually no... nuts or nut butters are limited but don't impact on the other fats of 1 tsp at breakfast and 1 tbsp each at lunch and dinner (or 2 tbsp of salad dressing)

but the nut butter should be just ground nuts.

zeffryn
07-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the correction, Nessa. It's been awhile since I've read the book and proper portions. Do you know what the proper portion of peanut butter would be in a day?

Ruthxxx
07-21-2008, 11:44 AM
I'll combine this thread with the original one.

ladybugnessa
07-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the correction, Nessa. It's been awhile since I've read the book and proper portions. Do you know what the proper portion of peanut butter would be in a day?

yep either ONE serving of nuts or ONE serving of nut butter

the serving of nut butter is 2 tablespoons.

the nut serving varies by they type of nut.

knittwhit
07-21-2008, 11:47 AM
I tried south beach before and stalled at 30 pounds, I have come to realize I need to calorie count, too. Doesn't matter how much I stick to the diet, my choices have to be the lower clalorie ones or I will not lose. I have just started this a few days ago and I think this is my answer.

That was my experience in the past too. Lost about 30 then stopped. When I look back it wasn't that the plan that wasn't working, it was me not working the plan. It doesn't matter if you are eating all the right things it you are eating too much, it is still too much. Try starting with smaller portions and waiting a bit before going in for seconds. Let your brain register whether or not you are really hungry. Are you drinking enough water. Mild dehydration can present as hunger as well as slow your metabolism. Just my 2 cents worth.

mickey13
07-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Thank You to everyone for the advice!
Though I'm on week 5 (and still have only lost 5lbs), I'm trying my best not to get frustrated. I have been very discouraged the last week and I must confess, I allowed that discouragement to lead me to cheat on the diet. (I ate 2 pieces of pizza hut pepperoni pizza yesterday).. Yes it tasted great!, but afterward i felt terrible as if I had messed up everything and as if once again, I failed on a diet. However, rather than feel like when I've failed before that I'm going deep down a downward spiral, I reminded myself that this is part of the process, that on occasion this may happen,and that I shouldn't beat myself up. So, started my normal routine again today.

I will take everyone's advice and plan to up the water intake, exercise, and veggies, and cut back on the peanut butter (and watch out for the reduced fat ones)..I realize that maybe I've probably been eating much more PB than I thought I had...maybe that has caused me to loose wait much slower...not sure, but will cut back and see

Anyway, just want to say thanks again...it helps so much hearing your support...

murphmitch
07-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I would go back on Phase I again. Too many cheats.

zeffryn
07-23-2008, 06:20 PM
As long as those cheats don't cause craving, she shouldn't have to do P1 again....

It's rather discouraging if you have to go back and start over again every time you make a mistake.

weezle
07-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Drink more water, add more veggies, include a serving of beans per day, and watch the cheese and sweet treats. That's what helps me jump-start weight-loss. Good luck to you!

murphmitch
07-23-2008, 09:30 PM
As long as those cheats don't cause craving, she shouldn't have to do P1 again....

It's rather discouraging if you have to go back and start over again every time you make a mistake.

I guess my feeling was that "cheats" can be due to giving in to those nasty cravings. If they are happening repeatedly, it seems like repeating Phase I or at least a portion of it would help eliminate it.

Fat Melanie
07-23-2008, 10:35 PM
This post was VERY helpful to me as well as the original poster. While I've been doing pretty good on Phase 1 this time (and this is the 9th day in, woohoo!), I realize I have probably been eating too many fats. This may be the reason why I've only lost 3 lbs thus far. I'm thinking I'm gonna do a third week of Phase 1 because I was just in the grocery store and nearly overwhelmed with the thoughts of eating one of BF's fudge he bought. (I didn't! Thankfully. I am sooo not ruining 9 days of clean eating.)

Anyway, I cut back on fats a couple of days ago by just cooking my turkey bacon in the skillet. So I cut that part out.

But I am confused. I know we can have 2 tablespoons dressing... so at my daily lunch salad I have 2 tablespoons hidden valley ranch. Does that mean I should not consume any other fats throughout the day? This is where I am confused because at dinner, I think is where I consume the most amount of fats.

For example: a couple of days ago, I made Chicken Divan. It called for a cup of mayo and reduced fat cheddar and reduced fat sourcream. I loved the dish, but there was grease all over my plate, probably from the mayo.

.... I am not sure what to do. Getting the book this Friday from a lady, but I am still confused nonetheless.

ladybugnessa
07-23-2008, 11:00 PM
a cup of mayo is a lot.

fat servings are like this

1 tsp at breakfast optional

lunch and dinner each

1 tablespoon of fat OR 2 tablespoons of salad dressing

Fat Melanie
07-23-2008, 11:15 PM
So I can have a tsp of fat with breakfast, 2 tablespoons with lunch, and do fat free dinner?
|
(Sorry for the dumb questions but I am still very confused. I think I've maybe been eating too many fats and probably need to redo Phase 1 once again! Argh.)

Next time I make the chicken divan, I'm going to replace the mayo with something. I wasn't comfortable consuming so much.

zeffryn
07-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Mel, a cup of mayo sounds like a lot.....but when you break it up into servings, you aren't getting that much....

although I just looked at the serving size - 4, which is 1/4 cup of mayo per serving. 1/4 c. = 4 Tablespoons. Someone can probably answer this better than I can at the moment, but that is too much. I would probably swap some of the mayo for yogurt.

zeffryn
07-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Also Mel, you don't need to redo P1 because you ate a little too much fat.

I think Nessa meant 1 tablespoon of fat OR two tablespoons of dressing at EACH dinner and lunch. Dressing is not 100% fat like olive oil or something similar.

understand?

ladybugnessa
07-23-2008, 11:18 PM
So I can have a tsp of fat with breakfast, 2 tablespoons with lunch, and do fat free dinner?
|
(Sorry for the dumb questions but I am still very confused. I think I've maybe been eating too many fats and probably need to redo Phase 1 once again! Argh.)

Next time I make the chicken divan, I'm going to replace the mayo with something. I wasn't comfortable consuming so much.

no

you also have fat with dinner!

Fat Melanie
07-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Also must mention, I often skip the snack between breakfast and lunch because I am busy with DS, so I throw peanuts on my salad. Cut them out too?

ladybugnessa
07-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Mel, a cup of mayo sounds like a lot.....but when you break it up into servings, you aren't getting that much....

although I just looked at the serving size - 4, which is 1/4 cup of mayo per serving. 1/4 c. = 4 Tablespoons. Someone can probably answer this better than I can at the moment, but that is too much. I would probably swap some of the mayo for yogurt.

a tablespoon of may is a serving so 1/4 cup is way too much

and there is no way you should redo phase 1.

ladybugnessa
07-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Also must mention, I often skip the snack between breakfast and lunch because I am busy with DS, so I throw peanuts on my salad. Cut them out too?

why cut them out?

zeffryn
07-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Mel - you are allowed a serving of nuts in addition to your fats (thanks, Nessa ;) )...so peanuts on your salad is fine.

Although, the snacks are in place to keep your metabolism up and rarin' to go. Chomp a cheesestick or something quick and easy...if you're home it shouldn't be too difficult to grab a handful of cucumber coins and munch on those in between holding DS.

Fat Melanie
07-23-2008, 11:25 PM

Also Mel, you don't need to redo P1 because you ate a little too much fat.

I think Nessa meant 1 tablespoon of fat OR two tablespoons of dressing at EACH dinner and lunch. Dressing is not 100% fat like olive oil or something similar.

understand?

Ohh! Got it. :D

I'm gonna try using fat free plain yogurt to replace mayo. Definitely not comfortable eating that much mayo.

Fat Melanie
07-23-2008, 11:28 PM
no

you also have fat with dinner!

Lol; I feel idiotic! Okay, I'm slowly understanding. I don't think I messed up fat-wise as much as I thought. Maybe a little too much fat on some days, but not as bad as I thought. Yay!

Fat Melanie
07-23-2008, 11:30 PM
At lunch I've been making a big salad, with like stuff from the bagged salad, cut up green pepper and tomato, and a few slices of smoked deli turkey cut into pieces, with the 2 tablespoons of ranch, and a handful of peanuts thrown over top. (Omg, it's delicious! Never woulda thought!) Sometimes some shredded cheese but I cut out the cheese because I've been worried about my fat consumption.

I wasn't sure if it was okay for me to throw the nuts on top of the salad since it already had a protein in it.

So if I had breakfast, then a snack (say celery with 2 tablespoons hummus), then I can still have handful of peanuts on salad?

zeffryn
07-23-2008, 11:35 PM
yes.

You are allowed one serving of nuts a day, no matter what else you eat.

make sure that handful is a serving....you would be surprised at how big a handful really is.

Fat Melanie
07-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Okay, I'm set straight now. I have been doing pretty good on Phase 1... I was sure I had screwed up but I am doing a lot better than I thought.

I've gonna start measuring the peanuts though, because I don't want to eat too many.

Yay, problem solved. Thanks guys! :D

zeffryn
07-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Mel, keep in mind that just because you inadvertently mess up doesn't mean that you have to start over. Just try your best to stick to the plan as closely as possible and make the best decisions you can. Before I found out I was pregnant, I was striving to beat Nessa in her run of clean eating days....I'm competitive like that. If I have a goal, nothing stands in my way. If you think of it as a day to day thing, it will be much easier to manage. P1 is much easier to do when it is done one day at a time instead of thinking "omg, I can't eat this or that for two whole weeks!"....when you get P1 down, in no time at all, it is time for P2 which is easy compared to P1.....and then all of a sudden you're in P3 (or so I assume :) )

Don't discourage yourself by thinking you have to start over every time you make a mistake, just get up, dust off and start eating clean the very next meal! Before you know it this will become a way of life and making healthy decisions will become second nature.

Fat Melanie
07-23-2008, 11:54 PM
*sigh of relief*

I'm glad I don't have to start all over everytime I screw up. That's a good thing. P1 has been so much easier this time around, though I have had some cravings, I admit. But I didn't give into the cravings, and I have truly enjoyed the foods I've been eating.

Hopefully one day I will be able to say I've had as many clean eating days as Nessa! That would be awesome.

Thanks for the advice guys. It's motivating. :D