Old 07-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

Default I can't seem to measure myself...

I'm wondering if I'm alone in this. I'd like to take measurements to have an alternative to the scale in measure progress (already doing body composition analysis monthly at the gym). But in spite of reading a variety of how to articles on doing this, I'm never comfortable that I'm doing it correctly. I know you're supposed to "Wrap the tape measure snugly, but without cinching, around the natural indentation or break at your waist" but it seems like I can't get it right.It would be one thing if I were to measure wrong the same way over and over again, since there'd still be something consistent to compare it to, but I seem to do it a little differently every time. An example would be tryin to stand normally and measure my waist. As soon as I start thinking about normal, I start paying attention to it. Am I sucking in? Am I puffing my stomach out? Am I pulling the tape too tight or is it too loose? Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and how you get past it.
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/216.6/140

Height: 5'6

I guess I would find a way and always do it that way. Always suck in, always right over the belly button, etc.

Good luck! Remember, it's all numbers. Notice how you FEEL!
flutestarkiss9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:17 AM   #3  

I have the same problem-it's really tough to measure oneself accurately! I use a scale that does bodyfat percentages, and although it's not as good as measurements might be, I find that it's a reasonable alternative.

Flutestarkiss9's advise seems to be right on the money if you do want the measurements-deliberately pick a method of doing the measurements that you can stick with every week, and stick with that method. It doesn't really matter it is, so long as its consistent!
j45rpm is offline   Reply With Quote