South Beach Diet - Bulgur???

View Full Version : Bulgur???

greeneyes490
07-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Does anyone where bulgur falls in the SB world??? It is a grain but it isn't listed in the book as okay or not okay......

CyndiM
07-12-2008, 12:36 PM
It's whole grain so I can't imagine it wouldn't be allowed. Is cracked wheat inthe book? different name, same thing :)

Belle Mer
07-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Since it is cracked wheat I guess you would count it the same as whole wheat or wheat berries.

Ruthxxx
07-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Yup, it's OK and they have whole wheat bulgar at Bulk Barn! Tabbouleh anyone?

femmecreole
07-12-2008, 02:12 PM
I eat it a lot. Love it hot during the winter with cinnamon etc.

And this time of the year, it's a staple in my house. I make my own version of tabbouleh with bulgar (soak for a couple of hours in water first, then squeeze dry in a tea towel), then add vinegarette dressing, olives, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, feta cheese, raw squash, bell pepper, red onions and whatever else I can find in the fridge to throw in....oh, man!!! It's even better the next day.

also good with fage greek yogurt, cucumbers and fresh dill!!!! very refreshing.

greeneyes490
07-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I was pretty sure it would be okay but just wanted to make sure :)....I love tabbouleh (spell???) so nice in the summer.....thanks

SunshineCA
07-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Bulgur is a go with the Beach! :)

I never tried it until a couple of years ago when DH and I started SB. In the original book, there is a Phase 2 recipe for Mediterranean Chicken Salad (page 208 - soft cover). My DH prepared it and it was absolutely delicious! It totally made this dish come alive! :)

If you don't have the book, let me know and I'll post the recipe. :)

SunshineCA
07-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi all! I posted the Mediterranean Chicken Recipe on the SB recipe board under Phase 2 Salads.

greeneyes490
07-15-2008, 08:31 AM

knittwhit
07-15-2008, 08:54 AM
For a quick filling lunch I mix it with SBD friendly salsa and some black beans. Sprinkle with a little SBD friendly cheese and YUM, enjoy. It can be eaten warm or cold, but I prefer warm.

I've also mixed it with ff feta, pitted calmatta olives, chopped cucumber, chick peas, olive oil, lemon juice and a sprinkle of greek seasoning...hmmmm I think I know what's for lunch :)

SunshineCA
07-16-2008, 10:23 PM

You're welcome. ;)

After posting the recipe, I'm gonna have to plan this on our menu for next week. ;)