Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Question Would you have plastic surgery? ($ vs. risk)

I have a problem with loose skin on my stomach...ever since I had my two boys (the last one was a 9 pounder!). Anyway, I've been considering a tummy tuck and lipsuction (on my big booty).

My question is: would you have plastic surgery? would you not do it because of money or because of the risk of going under the knife for elective surgery?

For me, I'm terrified to go under the knife when I have two boys that need me. What if something goes wrong? Even the best doctors can't stop something from happening if your body has a negative reaction, right?

On the other hand, I have a handful of friends who have done it and say it was not a huge deal. Yes, it took a few days to recover from the pain, but now, they're as happy as can be.

What are your thoughts?
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #2  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

If i had the money I would do it in a heart beat. Only you can decide what is best for you though. If this will make you more confident, happy, and overall feel better than i say go for it. Also your Dr. should explain all the risks to you and if you are high risk will not/should not operate on you.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yes - not only would I, but I plan to. I have a savings account set up that I contribute a little to each month so that by the time I've been maintaining for 9-ish months, I'll be ready for a consult.

Yes, all surgeries are risky, but some types of surgery are more risky than others. Having excess skin removed is far less risky than having a more invasive surgery - and people have routine invasive surgery all the time.

Also, there are things you can to to offset the risk - making wise decisions, doing your research, choosing a properly licensed doctor, etc. Thanks to the collective wisdom here (plus a healthy dose of my own common sense) I'll know what questions to ask of a surgeon, what kind of surgeon to look for, how to determine what's right for me. I also won't be skimping on cost - looking for a "budget" doctor (not that I want to spend money needlessly, but this is one place where you don't go with the $599 special advertised at the spa, right? ).

And each person has their own level of risk to work with as well. I am perfectly comfortable with the idea of having this kind of elective surgery because I'm healthy. I don't have diabetes or heart disease or high blood pressure - any of those things that can trigger complications. I've never had major surgery before, but I have been under general anesthetic for having my wisdom teeth removed and didn't have a bad reaction, so I know that's not an issue for me.

Finally, I do believe that with any surgery of this type, you get out of it what you put into it. I know that I won't go have a tummy tuck and it'll magically look perfect. I know that there will be a level of commitment on my part to follow the directions the doctor gives - wear support garments, use whatever cream or lotion is recommended, etc. A lot of people slack on the aftercare and then dont' understand why they have less than optimal results. I figure if I'm going to spend $$$$ on surgery, then I should follow instructions to the letter.

So I think it's a determination that each individual needs to make. I'd never tell someone "oh you should do it" ... but I do think you need the look at the risks REALISTICALLY ... not with a panicked eye and not with an Pollyanna-like blind eye, either. The likelihood of *dying* from a tummy tuck is hugely slim. The likelihood of having complications can be largely controlled by doing research and making wise decisions. The rest is personal choice on how much level of risk you're willing to take.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

You asked for our thoughts, and that's exactly what this is--MY thoughts--so please, I don't want anyone to think I'm pushing my opinion on them, as it is only MY opinion. [/disclaimer]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
My question is: would you have plastic surgery? would you not do it because of money or because of the risk of going under the knife for elective surgery?
I wouldn't do it, but not for either of these reasons. Rather, I refuse to voluntarily have surgery to change my physical appearance. I will have excess skin, no doubt--that comes from being over 300 pounds and from being obese my whole life. So I'll never look good in a bikini--who cares? I have a fiance that loves me already, so who do I have to impress? I'll already look fabulous fully clothed.

Now, I would make one exception, and that is if the physical issue were causing major health problems. For example, if I had a skin flap that caused a major rash or something. But for the sake of physical appearance alone, I wouldn't do it.

AGAIN, that's just my opinion
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #5  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

I have always wanted plastic surgery. #1 on my list is breast implants, not because I want to have a huge chest, but because I don't feel mine looks very womanly at all. I also would like to get some lipo around my hips and thigh area (I CANNOT lose the fat here no matter what I do), as well as my flabby arms. I am not so much worried about going under and not coming out of it, although I know that is a risk that's involved. I'm more worried about my body rejecting the implants or getting infection. Imagine spending all that money only to have to pay to get something removed or even re-done. I don't have the money for any of this, and I won't for quite some time, so I don't know what my decision would be if it were actually something accessible.
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #6  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Yes - not only would I, but I plan to. I have a savings account set up that I contribute a little to each month so that by the time I've been maintaining for 9-ish months, I'll be ready for a consult.

Me too! I plan to get very close to goal. Then I will start consults. After maintaining for a while I will do procedure.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 8"

ditto jillybean's disclaimer

I don't think I would do anything really invasive like lipo but might consider skin removal IF it was A) Causing a health issue and B) I had given it sufficient time to regenerate itself as much as possible.

Please understand, I'm not saying I think that everyone's skin will just snap back if they wait long enough, and I do realize that because I haven't lost as much as some of you amazing ladies I'm not going to have the same perspective (I do have a little flibbity jibbity going on but nothing I can't hide with the right clothes so it's not a big distraction for me - I think I'm about 20 years past a bikini being appropriate anyway ), but I do think it's like everything else - everyone is different with different genes and different recuperative abilities and I think some of us jump at the idea of a "quick fix" and fall into the instant gratification trap without giving our bodies enough time to figure out they don't really need all that skin anymore.

But hey, by the time I hit my second childhood, I might decide I want to wear a bikini after all and head for the nearest cosmetic surgeon
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

If I had the money, I'd probably get a tummy tuck for my loose skin, along with a nose job, veneers, a breast lift, and liposuction

Okay, I don't think I would do that. I pride myself on being all natural (besides no surgical enhancements, I also do not wear make-up except on my eyes) and would most likely only get the loose skin tucked in, even if I secretly wanted the above procedures. No matter what I could get done surgically, I'll never be perfect and there will always be something else I'll have to pick on about myself. I'll just drown in my own criticism while looking as good as possible

If I had the money, I'd carefully research plastic surgeons and make sure I went to one of the best possible ones (like Brent Moellikin). However, since I do not, I am just hoping the loose skin will snap back with time, healthy eating, ab tightening exercises, and a tan.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #9  
Meg

Yoyo, I'm sure you're not implying that any of our 3FC members who have chosen reconstructive skin surgery are those who you describe as ones who "jump at the idea of a 'quick fix' and fall into the instant gratification trap". You've been an active member of our commununity for a while, so you're undoubtedly aware that members who have chosen surgery have done so after extensive research, consultations with experts, personal soulsearching and yes, time. So I'm certain that you were saying that you respect their choices, just as yours is respected here.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I do plan to have a breat lift and implants sometime this year. I would like to have my arms and a tummy tuck also done but can't seem to afford it all at this time. Basically I'm happy with how I look in clothes, it's the without clothes that bothers me. I'm well past the bikini stage too, but I did my best to lose the weight and I want to feel the best I can about my body.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I go back and forth on the idea. I have quite a bit of loose skin from my excessive weight. I don't ever plan to wear a bikini or anything like that but I may want to get some of the excess skin removed. At times, it is very uncomfortable and it'd be nice to get some of it out of the way.

There are risks and it may or may not be worth the risk. You could come through it fine, or have sever complications.

Money. Honestly, I'm not worried about the money although I do think there are better things I could do with the money. If you gave me a choice of trekking in Peru or getting plastic surgery, I'd probably choose Peru and postpone the plastic surgery for another year.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #12  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

in a hot minute. I probably will HAVE to have a tummy tuck. i have the dreaded topical yeast rash that is after a 70 pound loss only getting WORSE and worse. I have scars under my tummy and on the tops of my thighs from yeast so bad I've had to miss work.

so NOT only will I have a tummy tuck. my understanding it that my insurance will pay for it as it's medically necessary.

i'm saving for the mastopexy.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
I do realize that because I haven't lost as much as some of you amazing ladies I'm not going to have the same perspective
I do think that makes a HUGE difference.

I used to be in the "no plastic surgery ever" camp. My mindset was why risk surgery unnecessarily for vanity.

However, my eyes have been opened somewhat by losing 70 lbs and realizing that by the time I lose the full 100+ that I want to lose, the "apron" of skin I have will still be there. If it were just a little loose and soft and stretchy, I might still have the same mindset I had. But it's more that that.

It's actively uncomfortable. It "flaps" when I run or workout hard (I know, TMI TMI).

It gathers in the front of my pants and means I have to buy a size larger than I otherwise would have. I know this for a fact because I can wear a 10 in a skirt which fits beautifully around my waist and flares over my "flap" - whereas I have to buy a 12 in pants (which then gap at the waist) in order to accommodate the extra skin hanging off my belly.

I am getting small skin tags at my groin/joint area where the skin hangs and rubs - I've finally gotten rid of the ones under my arms and lost enough weight that they're not coming back - I don't want to deal with them on my groin for the rest of my life!

And yeah, I know that w/out the skin, I'd be pretty close to having the flat tummy that I've always wanted and haven't had since i was too young to appreciate it!

Those are just a few of the things that are bothersome about the extra skin.

Is any of that a health risk? Nope. Could I live with it for the rest of my life if I had to? Yup. Would I be miserable? Nope.

But if I can afford it, if it makes my life easier, if I am comfortable with the risks, and if it makes me feel happier about myself ... then yeah, I'm going to do it.

Just FWIW.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 06-30-2008 at 02:50 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

PhotoChick, you mentioned the dreaded apron (one of which I know I will have, probably down to my knees ). Though it's not directly a health problem, I would consider having that removed, as it is still a functional thing, not just physical appearance. If it is to the point that it makes you not want to run or not be able to dress yourself normally, that's a problem (I have this problem now--I run and some things "slap" around--it's not pretty!).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #15  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

To answer the original question - would I have plastic surgery? Yes. I haven't yet because 1) I don't have the money for it yet (I'm saving), 2) I don't have recovery time available, and 3) I'm still losing weight and hope that my skin will do some recovery on its own. That being said, when I've maintained for a nice long while (photo chicks 9 months sounds like a good ballpark), if I have the time money and still want to I will have surgery.

I don't buy into the "plastic surgery = bad" camp. Beauty is beauty, confidence is confidence - however you get there... Its not a decision to be taken lightly, for certain, but its a decision that every responsible person should make for themselves, without feeling guilty if they decide to do it.

Anyhow, congrats on your amazing loss!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote