South Beach Diet - Surprised at hostility towards SB

View Full Version : Surprised at hostility towards SB

greeneyes490
06-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Last night I posted on a "foodie" forum that I have participated in for many years looking for south beach friendly recipes.....some people recommended the cookbook and then others decided it was appropriate for a "lecture" on "fad" diets and how they lost X amout of weigh eating sensibly and taking control over what they put in their mouth etc.....it went on and on....I didn't post asking their opinion of the diet but they found it nessary to let me know how they feel......I tried to explain that I don't see the difference between this plan and what any doctor or nutrionist would recommend.....it is about lean meat/chicken/fish/seafood, lots of veggies, beans/legumes, fruit, whole grains etc.....and eating thorughout the day.....the first two weeks from my understanding is to rid yourself of cravings and then move onto introducting quality carbs and sugars etc....one woman described how she ate and it sounded exactly like what SB is about......so i have to assume these people have no idea what the program is about and they are just running off at the mouth....but it just put a real damper on my first week on the plan and the weight loss i acheived this week....so I think I will stay clear of those forums for a while cause they just end up trying to sabatoge what i am trying to acheive.........anyways I was just upset and felt the need to post in friendly territory :).......Hope everyone has a great canada day on tuesday and for the americans have a great Independance day on friday :).....

happiness seeker
06-28-2008, 01:05 PM
You are here in friendly territory. If you know nothing about SB I can see an outsider thinking it is a fad diet.... though the low carb/ healthy carb diets have been around longer now than most fads. Stick with what you are doing. SB is about healthy eating and healthy living. Don't let the unknowing put a damper on all your work! I do not see SD going anywhere, the ideals are strong and supported.

Happy Canada Day to you! Enjoy the weekend.

Ruthxxx
06-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Cathy, try not to let it get you. We even have some of that hostility here in 3FC. Atkins is getting bashed all the time but it does work for some people. I pretty much just don't talk about my plan on other websites or with folks in real life. Don't let the bastidges get you down!

Are you off on Monday or stuck working a single day? I wonder if the Canada Day celebrations will be rained out, especially the fireworks. We used to sit up on the hill behind the Rev. Canada data centre, drink wine and watch from there. I wonder if people still do that.

WebRover
06-28-2008, 02:58 PM
If it helps any to legitimize SB, it was my husband's doctor who recommended he go on South Beach. Don't think she'd be recommending a fad diet! My doctor knows I'm losing weight this way and she's supportive as well. And we're both getting great health benefits.

Before I read the book, I had gotten the impression it was a variation on Atkins. Perhaps your bashers were unaware and jumping on that bandwagon. Atkins is another misunderstood plan.

femmecreole
06-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Honestly I think it's the name...South Beach conjures up images of faddy stuff, wild nights and siliconed bodies on a beach...and usually anything that has "diet" behind it sounds like something that you do for a while then go back to eating junk.

If the name was "The healthy way to eat for life plan", then it would be a different story...

JerseyGyrl
06-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Atkins is another misunderstood plan.

:bravo: I 100% agree...Atkins is a very misunderstood plan!!

ladybugnessa
06-28-2008, 04:10 PM
I really think that part of the issue is that folks base their judgment on what they know which is often very little esp about south beach.

someone said to me today 'isn't that drinking lemon and water?" umm NO....

people are amazed when I say I eat fruit, I eat veggies, I eat grains... what the heck do they think i eat air?

basically i find it critical for me to sing the praises of a healthy diet and since that's what SBD is... that's what I do.

I tell them I eat south beach style... lean protein, good carbs, good fats, lots of veggies and fruits. MY internist, my gyn and my gastro have all OKed SBD as my 'diet'

murphmitch
06-28-2008, 04:25 PM
I have told several nurse practitioners about SB and they were impressed. They seemed to be unaware of what SB truly consists of. One said she needed to lose some weight and was interested in SB after I explained it to her. I think a lot of people don't understand it.

My mom's cardiologist recommended a "Mediterranean" diet to her after her angiogram showed some blockage, but didn't explain what he meant by that. I told her it's basically what South Beach consists of with the healthy oils and lots of produce.

chipper15173
06-28-2008, 04:25 PM
afternoon;
going to say my peace.....
why can't everyone just get along, on this site, that site, most diet sites.
all diets work for some, but not ALL.
i think most people just keep looking for the one magic diet that will do the trick and be a fast weight loss, so we can return to our normal (what we think is normal) way of eating. when all in all the weight has to come off slowly to better the chances of staying off. you do have to do some sort of exercise. and you can't return to "normal". you must change your ways.
i beleive the sites should be used for venting, exploring & learning. sometimes someone just has to talk something out, just to help themselfs figure out where/what went wrong. sometimes they need advice from someone looking in from the outside. sometimes they just need someone to listen to them.
i myself have been on most every diet out there. my doc recommeded this diet to me too. but he also knows i know my body better than he does. i have been now on p1 almost a week, but, my blood sugars have been out of range. so i do need to change my diet again, and it's back to the basics for a diabetic. i was looking for my magic diet which this isn't it for me, and that's ok with me. i still enjoy being here. i wish people were more supportive instead of sending them to food. (i mean for all sites). i know that is the last thing a person wants to do to someone else. when you have been in their shoes.
so, why can't everyone grow up and support each other. we all have needed help, we all know what the other is going through, we have been there or are there.
as long as we are doing this for ourselfs and our health to he** with everyone else.
thank you all for letting me vent my frustration with some out of line (other sites) "foodie fourms"

greeneyes, i am glad you felt comfort in coming here to vent. you do what you need to do for you!! don't listen to fools. we at 3fatchicks are not fools. we get the facts straight.

yoyoma
06-28-2008, 05:01 PM
FYI, I am not on South Beach. I agree with Cat about the name. I'm not plugged into the mainstream press, so when I came onto 3FC and saw something called the "South Beach Diet," I had visions of bikinis clad teens looking to drop fifteen pounds fast before summer beach weather using kooky, rigid menus. It took a while before I realized it sounded pretty sensible and long term.

I am happy with my roll-my-own approach to weight loss, but I am lurking the low carb boards. I've decided to tweak my diet a bit by upping the greens and lean protein and reducing the (whole) grains and starchier veggies to compensate.

kaplods
06-28-2008, 05:24 PM
I've been fat and dieting most of my life (since age 5), and I've found that no matter what you do, people will criticise it.

If you're not dieting, people will tell you that you should be, and if you are dieting, there are always people telling you that you shouldn't be or that you're doing it wrong.

I've heard almost every criticism and myth that exists.

You can't lose weight if you're a vegetarian.
You can't lose weight unless you're a vegetarian.
You can't lose weight if you follow a formal plan.
You can't lose weight unless you follow a formal plan.
You can't lose weight with meal replacements.
You can only lose weight on meal replacements.
You can't lose weight if you weigh yourself daily.
You can't lose weight unless you weigh yourself daily.
You're losing too fast.
You're losing too slow.
"That plan" (regardless of the plan) isn't healthy.
You SHOULD be following this plan instead (and boy have some of the "should do" diets have been crazy ones.

It gets absolutely ridiculous, and boils down to having to work it out for yourself, with the professionals of your choice. If my doctor is ok with what I'm doing, and my blood work is looking good, every one else can kiss my still very large fanny.

briezee
06-28-2008, 05:52 PM
My mother thinks I should be on WW. It worked for me once, but not recently, so I'm trying SBD. I know what my mother thinks of it and that she won't listen to reason, so she just gets told I'm watching what I eat and I just plan my once-a-month days with her as off-days, but try to be sensible. I used to not realize what SBD was about, but decided to research it when I was trying to get away from HFCS and discovered that it seemed like the right way for me to go.

ladybugnessa
06-28-2008, 06:07 PM
I just plan my once-a-month days with her as off-days, but try to be sensible.

now see my goal would be to stick to SBD and after we had a lovely day together point out to her that I stuck totally to the SBD principles...

living well and eating well is the best way to prove it's a healthy way to eat.

briezee
06-28-2008, 06:32 PM
now see my goal would be to stick to SBD and after we had a lovely day together point out to her that I stuck totally to the SBD principles...

living well and eating well is the best way to prove it's a healthy way to eat.

We have monthly game night. Because of my dad's work schedule, they have to be either at my brother's house or theirs - I live too far away. Their diet tends to be non-SBD friendly - pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. In the interest of keeping family peace (and all families are different), I eat one bite of everything prepared (if you don't, you might as well not eat at a family gathering) and then go heavier on the SBD-friendly items. I do bring my own snacks. When my dad's schedule changes and they visit me, I will definitely do as you say.

Family peace is more important to me than one day off plan as long as I'm sensible. What I thought was good last weekend, is that I did learn I can be sensible, go off plan and not completely derail myself, which has been a pitfall in the past.

(None of which explains my bagel this morning...it was handmade by the owner of the bagel store though, so I knew what was in it...)

ladybugnessa
06-28-2008, 06:46 PM
i eat bagels once in a while and try to go for whole wheat if possible.

tonight i'm having fresh corn on the cob and watermelon.... SBD food ****s would tell me I'm wrong. TOUGH.

we all modify to make this plan totally liveable.

CyndiM
06-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Count me in the folks who had this plan recommended by their doctor. She suggested SBD or WW.

I've discovered that everyone thinks they are obligated to advise you on weight loss. Reminds me of being pregnant, suddenly your body is public property :( My personal faves are the two people who I know only in passing who told me they thought I should stop losing weight now that I was "thin enough". Ummm, okay, yeah, thanks........

weezle
06-28-2008, 07:37 PM
I absolutely love when people look at me and ask why I'm "on a diet" (meaning I'm not partaking of something that they're eating.)

"Why are you dieting?"

"You don't need to lose weight."

"You're already too thin."

Well actually:

a) I'm not on a diet. I just try to eat healthy things (most of the time.....) :rolleyes:

b) I know what I weigh and have done extensive research using my height, current weight, bone-size, body-type, etc and know what weight range I should be in.

c) As long as I'm not starving myself or throwing my dinner up, and I'm getting proper nutrition, whose business is it what I eat and why?

I think people just tend to like to be downers. It doesn't matter what "diet" (or lifestyle) plan you're on, people are going to see that you're bettering yourself and either they aren't bettering themselves because they're too lazy, or they've tried and continue trying to better themselves and whatever they're trying isn't working as well for them as what's working for you. Either way, they're just jealous.

I bounce back and forth between WW and SBD (and usually end back up with a WW/Ph2 combo) and I love everybody. Well, nice people anyway. I'm sure I've shot my mouth off a time or two..... hard to imagine, I know. Kinda glad I wasn't around Thursday for the drama. :club:

Just try not to let it bother you. I don't keep what I do a secret, and when they start spouting off with those comments, I let them have it. I don't tell them what to do with their bodies, so they don't need to tell me what I need to be doing with mine.

When I'm a size -4 and 87 lbs soaking wet, then someone can say something about it. Until then, I know I'm getting my veggies, my lean proteins, my water, my LF dairy, and my whole grains, and I'm getting 1200-1800 calories a day, depending on how hungry I am.

Don't let them get you down! Keep doing what you're doing if it works for you! If not, switch it up! But always know that you have supportive people on this forum that don't care if you're a SBD'er or a WW'er or a... uhh... what else? Calorie counter. Or whatever.

What site were you on? Can I talk to them? :D

grneyedmustang
06-28-2008, 11:22 PM
My name is grneyedmustang and I have a confession to make...

I was one of those people.

Before I found out about South Beach, I thought it was just another fad diet. My beliefs were similar to what someone else said - where I thought it was another "eat oranges and drink water all day" for the teenyboppers (no offense to anyone who might be a teenager!) to lose 15 pounds to wear their new bikini in the summer. When SB first came out, I'd see the book/products and just think in the back of my mind, "when will they learn that those fad diets where you eat paper and drink grapefruit juice all day won't work?!" This is when I was doing WW (around 2005) -- and weight watchers was working for me at the time, so of course, that made me the authority on dieting, lol.

Fast forward to this year. For the past year (after I put on all the weight I lost on WW) my best friend kept telling me that I should try SB. She has done extremely well with SB, going from a size 16 to a size 8. I started with WW again this year, but felt that the flexibility with WW might possibly get me into trouble because I might find ways to justify my food choices, and looking at her results, decided I should look into it. I started reading about SB and I found out it was good for people like me who are insulin resistant - which WW doensn't really address. Here it is, two weeks into the plan, and I'm totally loving it!

Don't get me wrong, WW is a good plan, and it works for some people. At this point in my life though, I felt that I needed more structure in terms of my diet plan - and so far, that structure is working!

Yaaay for south beach! :carrot: Ok, I'm going to stop now before I once again start sounding like a SB informercial.

snapless
06-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Cathy, try not to let it get you. We even have some of that hostility here in 3FC. Atkins is getting bashed all the time but it does work for some people. I pretty much just don't talk about my plan on other websites or with folks in real life. Don't let the bastidges get you down!

True and sound advice. Sorry for butting in on your forum but I just had to respond to the Atkins getting bashed part.

After my recent involvement in a thread that kept getting steered toward degenerate insults, I have to say: Ignore the nay-sayers. Follow your doctor's advice and your own. You know what makes you feel better, and your doctor will have the medical information to help you make informed decisions about your nutrition and exercise.

grneyedmustang
06-29-2008, 05:22 PM
So I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is also on the "bash south beach" wagon.

I told him that I had been doing SBD for the past two weeks. He tells me how we need to sit down and talk about that, because he's totally against the SBD. I ask him why, he never really gives me any specific answers.

So then he begins telling me what I need to be looking for in a diet, such as:

"You need a diet that keeps you away from High Fructose Corn Syrup". I respond back that SB detoxes you from all sugars, including HFCS. He doesn't want to hear that...

"You need a diet that promotes whole grains". I inform him that I can't have any bread during Phase I, but I can have whole grains on phases II and III. Then he says, "no bread? I don't agree with that." I tell him that its only for the first two weeks. He says, "I still don't think SB is a good diet"...then he starts back on HFCS.

"You need a diet which emphasizes the elmination of processed foods." I try to tell him, again, that this is what SB promotes. He doesn't want to hear it. I also tell him that this diet is good for those who have issues such as insulin resistance (which I am) or PCOS. We go back and forth for a few minutes, then I get off the phone after telling him "the diet is working for me, so I think this is what I'm going to do".

I imagine there will be more of that coming from other people before it's all said and done...

ladybugnessa
06-29-2008, 05:25 PM
haha he just told you to do south beach...

I hate it when folks bash something without knowing what it is they are bashing.

so many think it's about eating that junky processed food with the SBD name on it.

kaplods
06-29-2008, 05:41 PM
That's exactly what I think is going on in the Atkins thread. I don't call my foodplan anything (other than maybe "what Colleen is trying to eat"), but it is fairly close to South Beach, WW Core, Glycemic Index or Glucose Revolution and even Atkins OWL (or at least maintenance).

In a nutshell, I try to choose whole foods, and be careful of carbohydrates that could trigger hunger and binging.

I do have a few disagreements with some of the organized plans, mostly on how strict you have to be in the beginning. I rather cynically suspect that much of the true reason behind starting off so rigidly is to impress participants with a dramatic loss in the first few weeks. Gradually decreasing high glycemic carbs might result in no or slow initial loss. Unfortunately in our easily frustrated, instant-gratification, no attention span culture you've got to grab people's attention fast, or they lose interest.

But that is really neither here nor there in this argument. There's always someone telling you you're wrong, even when what they consider is right is substantially identical to your opinion. They'll disagree with you anyway, because you call it by a different name.

If you argue your points, rather than respond to your arguments, they respond to what they've decided to believe (even if you've already pointed out the err in those beliefs).

It's like in the Atkins thread pointing out that it isn't all eggs and pork products (in fact you can follow Atkins without ever eating eggs or pork) and then someone ignoring that statement and saying "I still don't care what you say, all that pork and eggs can't be good for anyone."

You're left wondering "Did they hear/read a single word I said. And I really think the answer is No, they didn't.

Ruthxxx
06-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I don't bother wasting my breath and brain on opinionated people. What I do is really nobody's business but mine.

kaplods
06-29-2008, 06:09 PM
I agree (although I often do waste my breath, if not brain). When someone asks my opinion, I have to say I enjoy giving it (I am an attention-seeker, what can I say). And I might even occasionally give it when not asked, though I do expect, and don't take offense when people to tell me to shut up on the topic if the opinion isn't welcomed.

However, if they asked, and get angry with my opinion, that's their problem, not mine. I don't expect anyone to follow my advice or agree with my opinions, but if they asked for them, I don't understand them getting angry with me for the content of my adivce or opinion. If you don't want my opinion, don't ask for it.

I mean I would understand it, if someone asked my opinion and I said "my opinion is that you are an idiot," but I don't see a respectful disagreement as the attack some people percieve.

Fat Melanie
06-29-2008, 06:17 PM
I recently experienced a hostile reaction about the SBD. I told my Great-Aunt I was going to be doing it and she started rolling her eyes, telling me "oh, pffft, that crap doesn't work, you should do Weight Watchers instead." I was just like, eh, whatever. I have a feeling she and my grandma have been doing WW because they both have lost weight recently, so I guess that's why she mentioned it.

I don't think she knows what the South Beach is about.

pamperedsteph
06-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Cathy,

I was one of those people until last month. I'd done WW before and gotten to goal. Got pregnant again and it just wasn't workin' anymore. Long story short...nearly died from blood clots in my lungs, thought I had metastatic cancer (didn't). All ended up being from a thyroid condition. My endocrinologist suggested a low-glycemic index diet due to the metabolic dysfunction and insulin resistance common in this type of thyroid problem. Plus, he pointed out, I have such a strong genetic component that diabetes are likely no matter what I do but this kind of diet is medically sound and the research has really backed it up. He said I could probaby stave off the diabetes and help my metabolism with this type of diet.

So, there you nay-sayers. Let's just wait until they've spent close to 200 hours researching the right thing to do to stay healthy. I'm with you sister. Totally on board. Do you want me to beat 'em up? ;)

TwynnB
06-30-2008, 08:11 AM
It's funny, because I did SBD a couple of years ago, trying to learn to eat better and keep my weight down after nursing a child. I gave up after 7 days. I guess I just didn't understand it as well, didn't have the support, had a stressful job, and had two very young children that were sucking out my life energy :).

Now, I have 3FC, a much more laid back job, and my children are getting a bit older. And a husband that REALLY wants me to get my old body back (yeah, that's a whole 'nother post). And for some reason, something clicked in my little brain, and I have completely thrown myself in it this time.

If you had asked me about SBD after the first time, I would've told you it didn't work for me, was very rigid, etc. etc. Now, I have "seen the light" :), and I would bet most of my friends/coworkers are sick of hearing about it!!

rebel
06-30-2008, 11:00 AM
I think I'll just say "I'm cutting out processed food and starchy fruits and veggies", not go into more detail unless asked, and not try to educate people on SBD.

alinnell
06-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Last night I posted on a "foodie" forum that I have participated in for many years looking for south beach friendly recipes.....

IMO, "foodie's" can be downright mean at times! I belong to a foodie forum and have been jumped on several times (to the point that I no longer visit). And what's weird is that I was simply chiming in on an off topic "general chatter" type of thing--just adding my 2 cents worth that seemed to mirror what everyone else said, but with a different twist and suddenly I was hijacked.

Anyway, even though I don't completely follow SB, it does appear to be the most practical "diet" out there (healthy, good mixture of proteins, good fats, etc. and emphasis on whole grains, etc.). In fact, if you listen to a lot of people who "aren't following a diet" you'll find that they are in fact following a lot of the same principles of SB. It is easily a way of eating that you could/should follow for life.

Mum2Monkeys
06-30-2008, 12:57 PM
I know what you mean! When I told my family I was going on South Beach, they totally freaked. I think they truly thought it was a cabbage soup or grapefruit juice diet haha! Then once I explained it to them, they started berating me about choosing a "low carb" diet. Thing is, I don't consider SBD a "low carb diet".. LowER carb than I was eating before, sure, but that's because I was pretty much living off of bread, cookies, crackers and potatoes with some cheese and dairy thrown in!

Anyway, what finally got them off my back is I had them over for dinner and they LOVED the food, and every singly morsel was SB friendly :) Now if only I can get my dad to do it. He's convinced he can't live without processed foods. :(

lightfello
06-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Mark me down as another who found SB due to my nurse/practitioner recommending it.
I am doing a SB/WW hybrid. Basically tracking the points of my foods off the SB list. I really don't discuss it as I don't want to hear all the arguments for/against this plan or another.
Nessa-I thought I was the only one who thought of some people as "diet ****s." I've used low carb pasta and gotten read the riot act for it. Now I just ignore the naysayers and do what works for me.

snapless
06-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Now if only I can get my dad to do it. He's convinced he can't live without processed foods. :(

It simply amazes me the sheer number of Americans who feel this way. My husband (who is otherwise supportive of my lifestyle change) is one of them.

However, because I know the futility of trying to force someone else to change, I'm not trying to get him to exercise or change his eating habits. If/when he decides he's ready, he will change.

All I can do is keep supplying our refrigerator with whole foods and keep things sliced and divided up into convenient single serving sizes. ;)

alwe74
07-02-2008, 03:58 PM
I tried to explain that I don't see the difference between this plan and what any doctor or nutrionist would recommend...

A family friend of DH and I had a heart attack about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Her cardiologist told her to go out and buy the SB book and follow it to the letter. Some people just feel like they need to get on their soap boxes without being completely informed.

alwe74
07-02-2008, 04:01 PM
I am doing a SB/WW hybrid. Basically tracking the points of my foods off the SB list.

I'm doing the same thing with the SB/WW. I need to eat SB because of my PCOS but the WW keeps my portion control in check or I'll eat non-stop.:^:

pamatga
07-03-2008, 02:11 PM
I read all of your posts before adding my 2 cents worth. I was doing WW Flex Plan prior to this. WW has a long established history and it seems that everyone on the planet (probably the moon too) knows about WW. However, I was allowing myself to eat too many "not-so-good-for-me" foods while following that. It's not WW's fault, it was mine. Having said that initially I actually stumbled onto this forum within 3FC's. I followed it for about a month and I got the book, read it and decided to do a semi-Phase 2 for about 6 weeks between Thanksgiving and New Year's before actually doing Phase 1.

I decided to follow South Beach for two reasons

1) health- I had been beginning to show telltale signs of heart disease and diabetes for a couple of years which this food plan specifically addresses---the first of its kind that I am aware of.
2) I read the food list very carefully and it had enough of the foods that I already liked to eat to "convince" me that I could stick with it.

Granted, I did have to re-read the food list over to get some of the nuances like some things are portion-controlled and some are not. However, I would say that I feel better, I have more energy, I look better (some people say younger-bless 'em!:o) and I am more and more convinced that this is the way for ME.

I have just decided that rather than try to defend South Beach or any other diet/food plan or whatever, I let my actions speak for themselves. My sister has commented about how healthy I eat. This past Sunday she "treated" me to an all you can eat buffet. I've been to better but a piece of pie comes free with the meal so she went ahead and picked one out for me. I had two bites, said I've had better and pushed it away. I thought the look on her face was "priceless". Only because of being on SB was I able to do that without exercising much willpower (something I had in short supply before when I was overloading on processed foods and getting the "carb crazies"). She said to me, boy, you sure eat healthy.

I am really sorry that some of you got entangled in those no-win debates. Again, I agree that the best thing to do is go where you know you are understood and the rest of the world can eat their pie, if that is what they want.;)

kaplods
07-03-2008, 02:35 PM
pamatga: I have just decided that rather than try to defend South Beach or any other diet/food plan or whatever, I let my actions speak for themselves.
__________________________________________________ ____________

I can so relate to this. My food plan is very similar to South Beach or WW Core, with an "exchange" system as a backup for portion control (I can overeat even the best of carb-rich foods) but I generally don't really "call" it anything, especially in the "real" world, because doing so always seems to draw unwelcome commentary.

Either from people telling me how "unhealthy" South Beach is, or telling me how I'm doing South Beach incorrectly. The thing is I never say I am ON South Beach, or Core, because I'm not. They're just the popular plans closest to what I'm doing, so when I'm asked about my food plan, I say "it's sort of LIKE South Beach or Core."

Even if I avoid the terms completely, and say that I'm just trying to eat more whole foods, there can be alot of disagreement over what are and are not whole foods (I once had a twenty minute debate with a friend over canned cream of mushroom soup).

My MIL has decided to "go vegetarian." Now, she means that she is eating far, far less red meat, but who am I to tell her that fish isn't a vegetable.

Seriously though, I think that "what I choose to eat," is a much more accurate (if rather vague) description.

nullgal
07-03-2008, 03:51 PM
My doc told me to try SB because of my PCOS and just about everyone in my family has turned up their nose at it. they all think that phase 1 is the long term phase. i, too, have decided to just ignore it and move on. i do WW counting too. it helps keep me in check.

lightfello
07-03-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm doing the same thing with the SB/WW. I need to eat SB because of my PCOS but the WW keeps my portion control in check or I'll eat non-stop.:^:

I have PCOS too. We have exactly the same reasons for doing it the way we do.

kaplods
07-03-2008, 10:48 PM
I really thought I was the only one (or at least one of only a few) who needs a portion-control method as a back-up for low carb or low GI plans. Don't get my wrong, whole food/controlled-carb eating really does drastically reduce my appetite and hunger, but I can still overeat if I'm not careful.

It's such a relief to feel a little less freakish.

WarMaiden
07-04-2008, 01:49 AM
Nah, I think I'm looking at doing more portion control, myself. I need to pay attention to fruits, grains, and fatty foods a bit more--this is all healthy stuff, but it's very easy for me to have too much of these things for MY body. South Beach has some built-in portion control, but it doesn't seem to really be enough for me. I'm not sure entirely yet, though...I'm still working it out.

Mum2Monkeys
07-04-2008, 05:15 PM
You're definitely not the only one who worries about portion control! I remember when I did SB before getting pregnant with my 3 month old.. When I first started, I truly thought I could eat as much as I wanted of whatever I wanted as long as it was on the list. I soon discovered though, that's not quite true haha

My "trick" so to speak is I eat all my veggies first. So if I have a piece of grilled chicken breast, green beans, and broccoli (Phase 1 here!), I eat the green beans, then the broccoli, and then I get a second serving of both of those, and THEN eat the chicken. It has REALLY helped with my portion control. Otherwise, I'm quite likely to eat all the chicken, a bite or two of the veggies, and go off in search of more chicken.