Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #1  

Question Muscle soreness and water retention??

so i get that you can retain water when you start working out, so you may weigh high for a bit. and that as you build muscle your weight may drop a little slower, but the inches melt away to make up for it.

but what im now specifically wondering is since my muscles are sore does that mean they are definitely holding water as they work to rebuild the teeny tiny tears i tore in them this morning with my trainer??

and so -- should i expect a low loss week at WI tomorrow? no problem if thats the case. ive got sore abs and arms and butt NSVs for suuure!!

thanks!
partypantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

For me, this is true. But all bodies are different! Your body might not work this way.

We're all different animals. But if your weigh in tomorrow is higher than expected, you'll be able to be pretty sure thats where it came from.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

its not from retaining water. its usually from the release of amino acids that are stored in your muscles. make sure you drink LOTS of water 8-10 12oz glasses at LEAST when you are working out. i know it sounds silly to drink more water when you are retaining, but it helps flush it out. your body retains because it doesnt have enough.

also do not ONLY depend on the scale. have your trainer take your measurements. there are MANY times especialy when we are working out a lot that we gain muscle and lose fat. http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.co...t-v-muscle.jpg

that is a picture of 5 lbs of fat vs 5 lbs of muscle. it weighs exactly the same, but muscle is far denser.

hope that helped
princesspuffypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:07 PM   #4  

yay! thanks guys for the info! i figure once im "used" to pushing my body i will notice my own patterns and just learn my body like you (and your fantastic success!! congrats!) mandalinn.

that muscle v. fat pic is ridiculous! i stared at it for at least a minute. thanks for sharing - that's WILD!!

i think im gonna try to not be so scientific about this stuff anymore - what matters is the overall healthy goodness and not whether im carrying .5 less fat or muscle or water or belly full of food or whatever, right??

and i did get measured before i started! thank goodness the trainer did it because for me because im not sure im unbiased enough to take an accurate reading myself. thanks again!
partypantalones is offline   Reply With Quote