Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default My Obese Mother!!

My mother is really obese and her health and genetics have really been complicating her life recently. I was there when the doctor came and done a really extensive physical on my mother and he had to wrestle a huge abdomen, three hernias, just to palpate her tummy and liver to see if he can locate a bleed. I thanked God silently that I'm not my mother right now and was very sad to see her struggling with her health because of being morbidly obese. I sat there and looked at my three sisters that were there and the youngest is on heart meds, two others on thyroid, B/P meds, diabetics and severe fibro and arthritis. They are all headed for the same thing my mother is dealing with right now and I believe at an earlier age than she started. They made fun of me because I had to pack my bucket because of low BS, I was freezing and had to wear a sweater in 80 degree weather, and my saggy, baggy arms and pants. Not mean spirited, but... I wish they would consider WLS, but since they won't even acknowledge mine, it is hard to find away to talk about it. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for each one of them.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

it seems like you have had great success with what you're doing; and when it comes to the health of your mother and sisters, you should not worry about feelings/akwardness...come right out and suggest they do the same thing you did.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 316/SD300/254/180 RNY 3-4-08

Height: 5'8

Default Darling!

I know how hard things are for you right now, but just like the mental image, put yourself in their shoes. Think back many years ago, lets say in your late 30's early 40's. If someone had told you that you need to have WLS, no matter how they said it too you. How would you have reacted? I do not say this to make you upset or mad, but to me WLS is such a personal choice. Yes I shout about it from the top of the roof any time anyone asks me about it. But, I know that if I had had WLS several years ago, I really would not have been ready mentally. Does that make sense.

You know I know where you are coming from, both of our parents have ROCKS for Heads. I finally made peace out dad and realized he is not going to change his way, so I have to accept that. We both get the Fat gene's from both sides of the family. I love girl and hang in there. Call me if you need anything!
whitelion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #4  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I'm in a similar situation.. I havent had WLS... but I was morbidly obese and my parents and younger brother still are. They all suffer from high bp, my mom is diabetic... etc. They have had a lot of problems with circulation, swelling, kidney stones... the list goes on

I have offered to cook healthy food for my younger brother who I live with... since he eats fast food daily and complains about his finances. I look at him and my parents.. and it makes me really sad because I love them all... but they're choosing a bad path for their health. They see that I still eat (I just regularly make healthier choices and religiously plan meals/snacks) but they choose not to make their own changes.

I completly agree with whitelion... family/loved ones have to come to the decision themselves. Nothing I can say now will get them to that place. All I can do is lead by example... much like you have!
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #5  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

i agree too, no matter how you say it, they will most probably look at it like "look at me, how great i am". they will see as things go south that they might want to consider wls. lead by example.
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote