PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:19 AM   #1  

Default swollen feet and ankles

Does anyone have a problem with swollen feet and ankles? Mine are horrible and my Dr said the spirolactone would help but it's not. It seems to be no matter what I eat or drink they will not go down. And I've had tests done and they can't find a reason why except my weight and the heat here in Vegas.
Anyone else have this?
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I'm the same and had a whole bunch of test done a few years ago which showed there's nothing wrong with me. Having lost a load of weight I can say that its a little better but as the temperature rises my feet and ankles swell. Being the the UK though at least I don't have the heat of Las Vegas to contend with. Strange as it may seem being more active actually helps me its when I'm sat around and its hot I swell.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I've been noticing this myself. I've not had any tests done or anything because I've pretty much attributed it to my weight gain because the heavier I've gotten the worse they are. It's also worse at the end of the day even though I sit behind a desk all day it's still terrible. Morning they aren't bad. More exercise the better they are.

Jennifer

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.”
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:11 AM   #4  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

me too. But I am a diabetic and I think that is part of it, but I would still keep on your dr. my dr wants me to tell him if my swelling ever gets too bad. I get it when I am on my feet a lot.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:34 AM   #5  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Out of curiosity does the swelling just hurt or do you ever lose feelings or numbness in them..?
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My ankles swell quite a bit. My husband has it even more severely, and wears compression socks to help. The seem to ease the pain of walking for him (but he's diabetic and if you're diabetic, you really have to talk to your doctor before using any Do It Yourself remedy).

We've both had cardiac tests to rule out heart issues causing the swelling. We're also both on a diuretic blood pressure medication.

For me, drinking a lot of water and avoiding excess salt help alot. For my husband, it doesn't seem to matter as much.

I think alot of it is genetic (once the doctors have ruled out all of the other things it could be). I have a photo of my grandmother in her early 20's (I'm adopted, so she's not a biological relative to me) and she was slim, and still didn't have an ankle to speak of. My mother and one of my thin sisters (who wasn't adopted) seem to have inherited the cankles and tendency towards swollen legs and feet.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/283/???

Height: 5'5"

I found a natural herbal diuretic that helps me. Exercise is helping out, too. The heat, unfortunately, still gives me swelling but the herbal diuretic seems to help out a lot.
cathexis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:15 AM   #8  

Thanks for the replies and the help! I'm sorry others have it but feel a bit less scared about it.
Spoz they just hurt like I'm walking with lead weights around my feet. I never have lost sensation in them though.
Plus were moving right now so that doesn't help I'm outside more so that makes it worse.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/289/180

Height: 5'8"

My feet and ankles swell up as well. I am never sure if it is the weight, the fact that I have PCOS and am bad about taking my metformin when I am supposed to, my thyroid issues, who knows maybe it is a combination of everything? But Carrie, I hear ya, I live in Las Vegas too, it's been horrible hasn't it?
folwthewhtrbt702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:42 PM   #10  

Really horrible and my feet are not doing so well! I went to the dr the other day she thinks it's all the artificial sweeteners I use in the stuff I drink so looks like just water and plain ice tea for me.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #11  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Mine swell a lot too, especially as the weather becomes hotter and more humid. They are really bad if I'm sitting with them dangling down so I try to keep my feet elevated as much as possible if I'm sitting.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote