Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Any thought on not being able to take a full breath?

I'm about seven months out and for the past three to four weeks have noticed that I don't have the air to laugh or cough right. I have a rather large hernia just above my umbilicus. I've noticed that I feel short of breath more after I eat, even a small amount. Isn't really painful, my chest just feels "full". I was talking to my niece who is an RN about what is going on and while talking to her I put my arm over my head to scratch my back and realized that I could get a full breath. What could be putting pressure on my diaphram? My hernia is hard and painful at times, and I know it will need to be repaired, but am hoping to put it off until my weight stabilizes and I can also get some plastics done on my flab. And can't think why the hernia would have anything to do with my breathing. Any suggestion. I don't see my bariatric surgeon until July. Had a hot flash at 4:00 this morning and so no food, but sitting at the kitchen table and had the same full feeling in my chest then also. Weird huh?!? For supper had about a 1/2 cup of protein chai tea, and it started up again. I was up walking around and drinking my supper. Thanks for any help or suggestion.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

Your niece may be able to advise you on this, but I'd see a doctor about it. Can you go to a clinic, or call your family doctor? Pressure on your chest may not have to do with your hernia. Although lifting your arm might relieve it, you are shifting your internal organs, and the pressure sensation may be from something other than the hernia. You may have pneumonia. You may have just pulled a muscle in your middle back. This even sounds like it could be indigestion. Just go and rule out any scary ideas.

Last edited by Kofarq; 05-15-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #3  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

I agree with Kofarq... Please don't ignore chest pain of any kind... Please go and get it checked out.
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:46 PM   #4  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

(sorry I havent had surgery but...) I am no doctor for sure but I seemed to have similar symptoms as you do and I suffered with it for 4 months and it ended up being my gall bladder. Do you have your gall bladder? Do these attacks happen only after eating?
Either way please get to the doctor soon! Cuz it could be very serious especially after such a major surgery! Good luck to you and I'll be praying for you.
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:52 PM   #5  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

you could also have a hernia that extends up into your diaphrame and your bowels will go into that hole and travel up to chest cavity. GO SEE A DR! good luck.
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

I'm with you MistyM. GB is gone since 19 and we were discussing the possibility of an internal hernia and just wanted to know if anyone else after wls had experienced any of these symptoms possibly related to an internal hernia. We, danged nurses know just enough to be dangerous, but not smart enough to really know for sure. If it keeps up will contact my surgeon. Thanks.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

Go See The Doctor

ok? NOTHING you've described is a 'normal' result of your surgery. there's something else going on, and it doesn't sound like it's getting better.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Yeah DOCTOR !!! get your rump there asap lady.... It might only be allergies but you NEVER KNOW !!! and its nothing to take lightly.

LOVE MOM

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 316/SD300/254/180 RNY 3-4-08

Height: 5'8

Default Are You Nuts!!!

You are a nurse if someone was telling you this, what would be you advice to them??!!! Get you butt to the doctor and make sure you let us know what is going!!
whitelion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #10  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Nancy honey, we love you too much!!! Please don't do self diagnosis...you are not going to be able to follow up with the tests and treatment you need. You can't do surgery on the hernia yourself! IF that's the problem!

Please Please go see a doctor.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 05-17-2008 at 12:48 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote