Old 05-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #1  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Default Low Cal Summer Favorites?

I've been getting bored with my menu, and craving summer food, something cooked out on the grill, picnic salads and the like. Anyone care to share their summer favorites that fit into the lower cal/sodium category? I'm pretty burned out myself on spinach/greens salads with dressing, but feel free to share anything, as maybe it will help someone else who is looking for new ideas.

So far, all I've come up with is grilled salmon and maybe some ground turkey burgers. A friend of mine says grilled pizza is yummy, but I'll have to find an alternate for the crust...maybe flatbread or tortillas or some whole grain option?
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #2  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

I hope this works - a link to a similar thread from a couple of months ago.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #3  
FB

If you eat pasta I LOVE making pasta salads with garden herbs, grilled salmon or shrimp, a zillion billion grilled veggies, wilted spinach and a touch of asiago tossed with a bit of pesto. I don't care much for pasta so I usually omit it for myself (while still calling it pasta salad- who knows my logic) or put in very little for the guys. I like using cheese tortellinis when I do happen to put pasta in my pasta salad

Shark and tuna also grill well in my experience.

I also love doing veggie and/or fish kabobs, marinated in a tiny bit of pesto.

Last edited by FB; 05-06-2008 at 04:38 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #4  
Fiber is my Friend

S/C/G: 488/353/250ish

Height: 5'11"

I've anxiously been awaiting warmer weather so that I could get in the "mood" for Summer Foods.

So yesterday I got a book from the Library about "Salads" from Williams - Sonoma and promptly went to Safeway and bought a huge container of Organic Baby greens mix.

I broiled a small piece of salmon, made my own vinaigrette of olive oil, lemon juice and agave syrup and put it all together and sprinkled a few toasted almonds on top - I was in heaven.

For the pizza, have you ever tried making your own dough? A dough recipe usually makes 12 serving. Just cut the dough into 12 portions and roll out for a single serving crust that you can cook right on the grill!

If not, (I see you are from Wa like me) look for a product called "Tia Rosa Tortilla Bread" (by Bimbo Bakeries USA Inc) They are wonderful! They are thick, yummy and make perfect single serving pizza crusts for

Cals 140
Fat 3
Carbs 24
Fiber 1
Protein 5
FiberFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I am a grilling rock star!

We just had veggie and steak and chicken kabobs last night. SUPER diet friendly and SUPER yummy.

I get some store bought marinade or make my own. Then throw it on the grill.

Any meat of course but then,
zucchini
potatoes
sweet potatoes
onions
mushrooms
carrots
asperigus...whatever you can think of.
Then for desert (drum roll please) any stone fruit...peaches are my favorite with a little cinamon and splenda brown sugar, cut side down, beautiful grill marks and top it while it is warm with some ff s/f whipped topping. YUM! I usually let the peaches cook on the lowest setting while we eat, perfect timing.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #6  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Thanks, everyone, those are some great ideas! I'm going to check out the link that 3Beans included, now.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote