South Beach Diet - I had my first trip ever to Trader Joe's....

JerseyGirrl
04-28-2008, 03:20 PM
and I'm IN LOVE!!!!:love: At first, I was a little disappointed when my bf and I pulled up because it looked pretty tiny compared to what I had imagined, but once we were inside I was like a little kid in a candystore..only a much healthier and affordable one!! I found quite a few things that I can't find in my regular supermarket and some things that I can't afford in my regular supermarket that were so much cheaper there. I stocked up on frozen fruit that is normally 3.50-5.00 per bag at my local grocers. At TJ's it was only 1.99 per bag and the bags seemed to be more full. I bought quite a few things and still stayed under $50. If I bought everything that I bought there in my local store I would have easily spent $80-$100 big ones! I'm so jumping on the TJ bandwagon! I'm sure I'll be out there at least once a week.

Ruthxxx
04-28-2008, 03:26 PM
:( No TJ's up here. One of these days.......

modkittn
04-28-2008, 03:28 PM
I love TJ's! There is one about an hour away from me. I stop at it on the way home from visiting family. But I just found out that there is going to be one opening in my town in October. I can't wait!

tomandkara
04-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Yay! Glad you had so much fun!

Kara

Natalie'sMom
04-28-2008, 03:34 PM
I am jealous!! I love it too but we don't have it here!

SunshineRunner
04-28-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm sooooooooooo jealous. :(

ladybugnessa
04-28-2008, 03:44 PM
:( No TJ's up here. One of these days.......

Ruth come visit me and I'll take you to mine!

JerseyGirrl
04-28-2008, 03:51 PM
They are adding quite a few new locations..you can check the website http://www.traderjoes.com/locations.asp to see if the will be opening one near you. I hope they spread like wildfire! If not, you ladies can send me a list and I'll fed-ex your order to ya since I fell in love with the place!

xGurlyGrlx
04-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I LOVE TJ's! I get most of my food there. It's much cheaper for a lot of things! Esp. LC cheese.

NESSA (I hope you read this thread ;)) I went to TJ's yesterday looking for the whole wheat pizza dough you posted about. I didn't see it. I only saw a white flour dough and wheat dough. It had whole wheat flour but the first ingredient is wheat flour. Is that the one you were talking about or did I miss the real whole wheat one? :dizzy:

movielover
04-28-2008, 04:12 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE TJ's it is the best!!!!

ladybugnessa
04-28-2008, 04:24 PM
I LOVE TJ's! I get most of my food there. It's much cheaper for a lot of things! Esp. LC cheese.

NESSA (I hope you read this thread ;)) I went to TJ's yesterday looking for the whole wheat pizza dough you posted about. I didn't see it. I only saw a white flour dough and wheat dough. It had whole wheat flour but the first ingredient is wheat flour. Is that the one you were talking about or did I miss the real whole wheat one? :dizzy:

very very weird. you are the second person in CA to tell me they can't find 100% whole wheat pizza dough.... I'd ask about it the next time you are there.

movielover
04-28-2008, 04:27 PM
very very weird. you are the second person in CA to tell me they can't find 100% whole wheat pizza dough.... I'd ask about it the next time you are there.

I have never been able to find it here (CA). I thought it was weird that Nessa would have their wheat dough!

zeffryn
04-28-2008, 07:01 PM
It's aggravating that the closest one is in Atlanta. That is entirely too far to drive for a grocery store....although I do have a friend moving to Atlanta in a few weeks. A great opportunity to visit the grocery ....err....her.

frustratedieter
04-28-2008, 11:13 PM
I live near Madison Wisc. and we got one about a year ago there. It is really cool to shop there BUT they also have some items that aren't SB friendly that would be tempting. Reading this post though, think I should take a ride and check them out again.

JulieJ08
04-29-2008, 12:17 AM

I'm in Southern California too, and I've asked and been told by TJ that they don't have it anymore, couldn't say if it would come back. That was at least a couple months ago, and they still don't have it

I may owe my success to living a couple miles from a TJ ;)

ladybugnessa
04-29-2008, 08:17 AM
I live near Madison Wisc. and we got one about a year ago there. It is really cool to shop there BUT they also have some items that aren't SB friendly that would be tempting. Reading this post though, think I should take a ride and check them out again.

everything in life has stuff that is not SBD friendly that is tempting. be strong. they have a lot of great stuff that is SBD legal.

try ths guac and salsa mix (the one with enstein on the front)

Marathon Mom
04-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Trader Joe..... I love him...

I've never been dissapointed with that guy.

Best store!! and every store I've been to, the Staff is SUPER friendly...

JerseyGirrl
04-29-2008, 10:51 AM
nessa i just bought guac and salsa mix but havent tried it yet lol by the way i love ur new pic u look great!

SkinnyDogMom
04-29-2008, 11:14 AM
My newest favorite thing from Trader Joe's is the Cilantro salad dressing. It is in the produce section, kept cold.

Gumah
04-29-2008, 07:05 PM
TJ's is awesome! So easy to be on So Beach and shop there, so many "legal" goodies and super high quality as well. I love it!

spcdcider
04-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Does anyone know if there is a list posted on Trader Joe's friendly foods? I remember last night, doing some reading here, seeing a link posted on a thread someone started to welcome the year 2008. Now have I confused everyone with that last sentence? Kathy

martinlady711
04-30-2008, 01:08 AM
It's aggravating that the closest one is in Atlanta. That is entirely too far to drive for a grocery store....although I do have a friend moving to Atlanta in a few weeks. A great opportunity to visit the grocery ....err....her.

That is the one that is closest to me as well. Its closer to me than it is to you but still too far to go just for some food. Maybe next time I go to ATL I will check it out and I will change my mind about it being too far away!

movielover
04-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Someone I know looked into buying one as a business, but she was not able to! She wanted it for Colorado!

ladybugnessa
04-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Someone I know looked into buying one as a business, but she was not able to! She wanted it for Colorado!

It's not franchised. My dad tried to buy one and open it in South Florida so his girl friend could have one. (must be nice ya know)....

wholy owned by the family. and yes they are RELATED to ALIDI folks.

movielover
04-30-2008, 11:49 AM
wholy owned by the family. and yes they are RELATED to ALIDI folks.

I know that is crazy, huh?!?!? I think I want to go tonight now :)

zeffryn
04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
The fact that Trader Joes and ALDI are related is supposed to be kept hush hush. The TJ's demographic isn't quite the ALDI demographic.

Screw that! I <3 both stores!

ladybugnessa
04-30-2008, 12:34 PM
The fact that Trader Joes and ALDI are related is supposed to be kept hush hush. The TJ's demographic isn't quite the ALDI demographic.

Screw that! I <3 both stores!

ME TOO!

zeffryn
04-30-2008, 12:52 PM
I would kill to have an Aldi OR a TJ's by our house. I used to save so much money buying food at Aldi.

movielover
04-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Never even heard of ALDI!!!!

ladybugnessa
04-30-2008, 01:08 PM
1 trader joe about 2 miles from my house
2 about 15 miles in opposite directions
and 2 aldis each about 5 miles away.

kittycat40
04-30-2008, 01:16 PM
I went to tj this past sunday. they had no product!! I had made a list of good picks found on 3fc-- almost nothing there-- honest!
So, I asked a helper where some items were, and said -- we're cleaned out. I asked when they get shipments, he said, nightly. So I asked what is the best day to shop and actually find the products?? He said, tues, wed, or thurs... so I'll try again.
For you beachers, I did buy rasberry dried fruit bars. Yum. and I am at this second eating the clilantro dsg for the first time. Awesome!!

ShannanA
04-30-2008, 01:20 PM
I do all my grocery shopping at walmart, I spend about $250 a month for a family of 4 to eat. I have been to a trader joe's once and was not impressed with the selection or the prices. This was several years ago though.

Aldi's is good for dairy, canned goods and fruit but I don't like making multiple stops and usually I go grocery shopping when I get off work at midnight so shopping there isn't an option.

ladybugnessa
04-30-2008, 01:24 PM
I went to tj this past sunday. they had no product!! I had made a list of good picks found on 3fc-- almost nothing there-- honest!
So, I asked a helper where some items were, and said -- we're cleaned out. I asked when they get shipments, he said, nightly. So I asked what is the best day to shop and actually find the products?? He said, tues, wed, or thurs... so I'll try again.
For you beachers, I did buy rasberry dried fruit bars. Yum. and I am at this second eating the clilantro dsg for the first time. Awesome!!

I NEVER EVER GO ON THE WEEKENDS... they are out of everything.. and crowded. folks who can't go during the week go on weekends.

tonite on my way home i may have to stop.... i need eggs, guacsalsa, girl child wants spinach dip.....

kittycat40
04-30-2008, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=ShannanA;2177560]I do all my grocery shopping at walmart, I spend about $250 a month for a family of 4 to eat. I have been to a trader joe's once and was not impressed with the selection or the prices. This was several years ago though.
QUOTE]

That's great! I shop primarily at costco and spend three-four times that. My family is four little boys... and one big man... and me!! We can really eat. And food has risen in price remarkably!! I fear my bill when my guys get a little older!

zeffryn
04-30-2008, 02:07 PM
We used to shop at Wal-Mart, until I became more concerned about their business practices. We try to avoid Wal-Mart at all costs, now. I shop at local produce stands, and small grocers to get the best deals. I really have to scour the ads and usually cook with what is in season or on sale, but I've been able to keep our monthly grocery bill between $200 and $300.

In my experience, TJ's had the best produce on Tuesday and Wednesday. Weekends are horrible to be there, as they are so busy and don't have anything. I try to avoid all supermarkets during the weekend, as the produce is getting old and picked over.

movielover
04-30-2008, 02:16 PM
I do all my grocery shopping at walmart, I spend about $250 a month for a family of 4 to eat. I have been to a trader joe's once and was not impressed with the selection or the prices. This was several years ago though.

TJ's is way cheaper on a huge majority of things then Walmart! But they don't have everything like WM does!

movielover
04-30-2008, 02:20 PM
What kind of crackers do you recommend getting there? Anything else super great that I can not pass up? Salsa-Guac???

SkinnyDogMom
04-30-2008, 02:30 PM
My TJ staples are Ezekial sprouted bread--usually I get the sesame seed type, cilantro salad dressing, sometimes bagged salads and fresh fruits (but we get these less expensive at the commisary), nuts, better n' peanut butter, agave nectar, frozen fish, frozen veggies, TJ's brand of greek 0% fat plain yogurt, dried, no sugar added fruits-raisins, cherries, pears etc, rarely I pick up cereal, eggs or milk, TJ's aioli garlic mustard sauce--THE BEST!, TJ's brand albacore tuna in water-canned, EVOO, balsamic vinegar, whole wheat pita bread, whole wheat pizza dough, chicken/turkey sausages in various flavors, goat cheese crumbles and wine.

ladybugnessa
04-30-2008, 02:51 PM
What kind of crackers do you recommend getting there? Anything else super great that I can not pass up? Salsa-Guac???

Ak-mak crackers (yellow and blue box) are great
salsa-guac
trader joes greek yogurt
chiplote pepper hummus
whole wheat pizza dough

ladybugnessa
04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
oy guess where i'm gonna stop now on my way home???

Schmoodle
04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
ShannanA, I just found out there is an Aldi's near me and I can't wait until I get a chance to check it out. I've heard good things.

I don't think TJ's is cheaper if you do all your shopping there, but for certain things they are great - here's what I always get:
Cheese, gourmet chicken sausages, dried fruit and nuts, Tj's brand Greek yogurt, frozen soy corn dogs for the kids, veggie mixes, edamame in the pod, Frozen tuna and salmon burgers, pre-cooked brown rice, French mustard, capers, no-sugar marinara sauce, boxed soups (esp roasted tomato red pepper), natural peanut butter, ww couscous, Goddess dressing, 100-calorie dark chocolate bars, ww pitas and tortillas, Ezekiel bread, a baguette if they are fresh, Toffee Crunch cereal for DH (full of sugar). That's my circuit every time I go!

Carla, does the Better'n Peanut Butter have sugar? I heard it was really good, but thought I'd checked before and found it to have added sugar.

ladybugnessa
04-30-2008, 02:56 PM
i drop 70 dollars in TJS usually once or twice a week but i do a lot of my shopping there (in spurts)

JerseyGirrl
04-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Nessa..that guac/salsa is going to get me thru a lot of summer bbqs w/o cheating...it is sooooo good! And suprisingly low in calories compared to most guac dips.

ladybugnessa
04-30-2008, 03:04 PM
i put it on my salads and i use salsa and greek dressing mixed as my salad dressing and that's fat free so i count it as my fat and OMG i can have a lot that way! only 30 calories per 2 Tablespoons... 1/4 of dressing!

and just found the vegetarian low fat refried beans there....

beachgal
04-30-2008, 03:07 PM
I can't imagine not falling in love with TJ's! :love: I miss that guy SO much! *sniff* Thankfully, there's one near Milwaukee now, so DH and I can stock up when we're out there in a couple weeks for a family wedding. Best of all, we'll drive out, so I'll have lots of room and can buy breakable things, which I couldn't do when I lugged my TJ's finds home in my suitcase from CA! :lol:

The thing about TJ's is that they frequently discontinue things, so if you find something you love, buy a lot NOW! Here's the info from their TJ's FAQ:

Why does TJ’s frequently discontinue products?
Our mission is to bring you the best quality products at the best prices. To do this, we have to manage our store space well. Each of our products must "stand on its own," meaning it must pay its own way. Each product passes certain criteria in order to earn its way onto our shelves – including a rigorous tasting panel.

There may be several factors that determine why we discontinue products:

It may be a seasonal product - for example, strawberries, which are in season only specific times of the year.
The gang way factor - because we introduce 10-15 new products a week, we have to eliminate 10-15 items in order to give our newest items a fair chance.
The cost of producing the item may increase, which would in turn increase the cost to you - if the item is not a strong seller, we may choose to discontinue it.

So, that may be why some people couldn't find things that others found. It may sell well in your store but not in other ones (i.e. the WW pizza dough which I couldn't find in CA or in WI), or it may not sell well anywhere and be totally discontinued.

Don't forget about the simmer sauces...they are divine and many of them are totally SBD safe! I brought three of these beauties home at Christmastime. :T

Also at that time, we bought some WW pita chips that were flavored...sour cream and onion or something? They were divine and all the crew members we passed told us they loved them, so I'm figuring they might have stuck around. That would be a yummy "cracker" to pick up. I love their prepared "to-go" salads. There was a greek one that was divine! My friend lives within walking distance of a TJ's (waaa!!!) and had a crush on one of the crew members when I visited her a couple years ago, so we went in each day and picked out a lunch. Yumm-y! I love getting Diet Hansen's soda, too! :drool: They are definitely a great place to buy great cheese at low prices and their wine selection rocks. :yes:

Congrats, JerseyGrrl, on no longer being a TJ virgin! ;) Don't you dare tell me you live near an IKEA too or I may have to bonk you one! :club: (just kidding...I think.)

JerseyGirrl
04-30-2008, 03:24 PM
LOL Beachgal..yes I live near an IKEA(please don't bonk me) I live in north jersey..if u travel 15 minutes from my house in any given direction you are guaranteed to hit a mall..I live in the consumerism capital of the world lol

SkinnyDogMom
04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
"Carla, does the Better'n Peanut Butter have sugar? I heard it was really good, but thought I'd checked before and found it to have added sugar."

well, maybe, I think so, "...tapioca syrup? rice syrup?...dehydrated cane juice..."
The nutrition label says Total Carbs 13g, fiber 2g, sugars 2g, other carbs 9g.
I like it because it has half the calories and only 2g fat--1 poly, 1 mono.
I don't think it tastes exactly like peanut butter, and I would not eat it just by the spoonful. I DO like it on apples. Usually I mix it half and half with natural Smuckers because it lowers the calories and makes it creamier.
I am going to try to make a whipped PB with the Smuckers next time I think about it.
Karla
PS--I wouldn't say it was really good. It is ok.

ladybugnessa
04-30-2008, 04:36 PM
we use trader joes natural peanut butter... smuckers works too.

but yep syrups and cane are key codes for sugar.

pamatga
05-01-2008, 01:06 PM
We have a TJ's within a couple of miles from my home. It moved in a couple years ago. I just haven't been there yet. We get their flyers which are very creative and fun to read but all of their advertised specials sound high buck to me. I make everything from scratch and have for decades so I don't buy a lot of those "convenience" foods.

I will let you know what I find that I like when I go there. It will be soon, I promise.;)

spcdcider
05-02-2008, 08:28 AM
I cleaned my pantry, fridge and freezer yesterday. Today I am off to Trader Joe's. I found I also had the older paperback South Beach Handbook for the GI index and since most of the foods are the same for phase 1 I will carry it with me. Wish me luck for staying on the list.
Kathy