Old 04-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #1  
Carb fiend!

S/C/G: 246/232/140

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Bloating?

Can eating too many carbs cause bloating? I'm not sure if carbs are the problem but when ever i'm at school i always get soo bloated and i hate it cause i feel even fatter than normal and my trousers go tight and stuff. Its really getting on my nerves and getting me down. Is there any way i can get rid of this bloating? Will more exercise help? I feel like the size of a sumo wrestler right now
Thanks

Last edited by FakeFrowns; 04-21-2008 at 03:17 PM.
FakeFrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 226/209/125

Height: 5'2

It may not be the carbs per se, however, you may be sensitve or even allergic to gluten and that could cause the bloat. try cutting out all wheat for about a week and see what happens. but you have to be very careful, wheat is in alot of things you wouldn't think it would be. good luck!
gahundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #3  
Carb fiend!

Thing is though, i'm only bloated at school. If anything i eat less wheat at school that i do at home as i like eating the nice bread we have at home and i'm never really bloated at home. I was wondering if a pro-biotic yoghurt every day like that danone one might help?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I definitely put on water weight with too many carbs. Not pretty. Only the refined ones have this effect, luckily.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #5  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Refined carbs do exactly the same thing to me . . . and if you couple them with too much salt (like in pizza) . . . oh my . . . water retention out the yingyang. the ankles get so swollen they actually hurt.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #6  
Carb fiend!

So what comes under refined carbs? Is it all white products like white bread, white pasta, white rice etc. Can rice cakes cause bloating? I love rice cakes just a little too much perhaps? Thanks for your advice! Just to mention but i don't think my bloatedness is water retention, i think its of more of a gaseous nature but not in a rude way! I shall explain more, its like someone has taken a balloon pump and pumped my stomach up. It tends to disappear over night and then builds up over the course of the day again. Its a bit weird!

Last edited by FakeFrowns; 04-22-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #7  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Are you eating alot of vegetables or beans? Whole grain cereal? They make me blow up.
I tried that yogurt that's supposed to help with bloating (activia, I think it's called) and I felt more bloated!
I'm not sure about the rice cakes. Do they have any fiber? That could be the culprit. Try not eating them for a couple of days and see how you feel.

Good luck
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #8  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Are you drinking enough water? It may feel like gas bloat but it could still be partially due to water as well. I know for me the classrooms at school are really dry and dusty all year round. Maybe it's causing you to become dehydrated. Do you drink caffeine during class? Might be worth upping your water intake for a few days and seeing if that helps.

And yes, refined carbs make me bloated too. Anything that is "enriched" is usually heavily processed. And yes, all white flour containing things are refined. I can't imagine rice cakes would have that much of an effect on you though... are you eating any other refined carbs throughout the day?
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #9  
Carb fiend!

A usual day for me consisits of:

Breakfast
1 cup cornflakes or rice crispy
1 banana, varies in size
1 cup of milk on cereal, don't drink it all as i don't do well with dairy

Lunch
Baked Potato + Marg
4/5 tablespoons of grated cheese
Cuecumber
Some salad type things
Depending on the protein option, usually chicken, turkey or ham.
Low fat yogurt or fruit

Dinner
What ever i can find thats low fat and low calorie to take me up to my 1400cal

Snacks
Rice cakes, mainly snack-a-jacks 1 or 2 90 cal bags a day
Apples

I have a 1L bottle of water on my desk and i usually refill it twice a day so i must be having between 2 and 3 litres. I don't put salt on my food or anything either as we aren't allowed at school unless what i'm eating salty food without knowing. Thanks for all the advice!!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 226/209/125

Height: 5'2

Some people don't tolerate raw veggies as well as cooked ones. there is alot of fiber that has to broke down by your body when you eat your veggies raw. and that can cause bloating for some people.
also you mention that you don't do well with dairy but i see by your menu that you had milk at bfast, cheese and yogurt at lunch. i have friend that is lactose intolerant and if she were to eat that much dairy in one day she would definetly be bloated. hope this helps and you find the culprit. it's no fun feeling bloated all the time.
amy
gahundy is offline   Reply With Quote