Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-11-2008, 07:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/158/130

Height: 5'5

Default Please... what do you do the day after a binge?

I've binged on and off for a long time, which was the ultimate cause of gradual weight gain. I'd binge one day and start my so called diet the next day, and this fueled my next binge because I felt restricted. Well this time I know I binged but I was partially in control in that I actually counted how many calories. I had almost 4000 calories yesterday, and of course, I feel absolutely disgusting. I am proud of myself for having been able to stick to 1500-2000 max for the past 20 days, but I guess little stumbles had to come along. Obviously I'm extremely tempted to restrict myself completely today by not eating so that the 4000 calories divides to be 2000 calories for the two days. But I know that it will lead me to binge tonight or something most likely. What kind of advice do you have for me? Right now it's the morning of and I don't know if I should consume my regular 1500 plan. It's the most sensible I know, but I don't know if it's the easiest way... What about all the excess calories from yesterday???? I feel gross and probably won't hit the gym today or exercise much today it's wet outside...
beegoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Right. Back. To. Plan.

We cannot undo what we have done, but we can step forward from the moment. If 1500 is your regular schedule, then get right back on track with that. About the extra calories yesterday, forgive yourself. You made a mistake, a poor choice. The only way to let it go is to well... let it go. Move on. Feeling gross is a usual side affect of eating too much. Happens to me, too. Why not hit the gym today? Make the time. That will probably help out even more. You might even feel a little accomplished. And just think about how you'll feel tomorrow if you're on plan today!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #3  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Okay, first thought - get back on the damn horse, love! Don't say to yourself 'I screwed up yesterday, so today I won't exercise' - say to yourself 'okay, that was yesterday, this is today, and, boy, I've got some calories to burn!'

I'm not following WeightWatchers, but I really found this resonated with me:
If you have a lapse, then don't let your lapse become a relapse. Don't let a relapse become a total collapse.

We all have occasional lapses. That's okay - we're human, and sometimes we make bad choices. The thing is - don't let this lapse snowball into a relapse. You need to get BACK ON PLAN. Because it's terribly easy to listen to that little voice that says 'Oh, I messed this up - I'm a failure! What's the point! Might as well give in!' And then the lapse becomes a relapse, and then the relapse can become a total collapse.

Don't let that happen! Nip it in the bud! You can't turn the clock back, but you CAN choose to value yourself. You CAN choose to suck it up and get back on plan. You CAN treat your body better, and make today a good day. And tomorrow. And the day after that.

More important, though: ask yourself WHY this is happening. What leads up to going off-plan? Is there one catalyst, is it an overall feeling of disillusionment/frustration/fear of change/perverse determination to eat something because you know you shouldn't? Is it a specific craving for a particular taste?

You could do worse than read 'Fat is a Feminist Issue', actually - sometimes we sabotage ourselves on purpose, without even realising it, because much as we loathe the fat, it CAN also be a kind of security blanket - something familiar, something to blame our disatisfactions and fears and failures upon. Getting rid of that can actually be scary as well as exciting.

On the other hand, it may be more physiological than psychological. Is it perhaps the case that you aren't finding calorie-counting a very satisfying weight-loss plan? Do you find yourself craving particular foodgroups?

It may be that there are particular foods that set you off. (I'm not calorie counting myself - I'm low carbing. And cutting out the starchy food has made a remarkable difference to how I feel about foods, and how things tempt me. I didn't realise how much of my relationship with food was tied with my ability to metabolise carbs, until I cranked them way down. Now I am very rarely hungry, and don't feel that I'm denying myself. And yet I'm continuing to average 2lb per week.)

You say that this is a pattern - well, you need to think very hard about this and understand WHY it is a pattern, so that you can end it. If you're just telling yourself 'this is what I do' then you are paving the way for it to keep on happening - and that really isn't what you want.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #4  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Beegoss! I agree with Faerie's wisdom. Today is today- let it stand on its own merit. Also, for me, "for every diet (super-restriction), there is an equal and opposite binge"! So in restricting greatly today, you may actually be unknowingly "planning" tomorrow's binge! How smart you are to be examining your own eating behavior history- this understanding of what sets YOU off can help you identify it when it pops up again. Maybe some streching and light exercise today just to make your body feel good? Good luck- it sounds like you are ready to make good choices today!
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Ditto the above advice. Yesterday is over and done with so you just have to move on. Eat normally and get a workout in - NO excuses, you'll feel better for it. Tis much better then kicking yourself in the *** and leading down the road of another binge.

Good luck!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #6  

Height: 5'10

I agree with everyone else, but I personally exercise double then what my plan states to make up for it. It works for me but if you think it might lead into another binge, don't do. Just eat the same amount that was on your normal plan. I've done the starve yourself thing and it doesn't work. I wish it did but it doesnt lol.
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/146/132

Height: 5'5"

Here's what I end up doing. The day after a binge, I still eat a light breakfast to keep my metabolism up. I never skip breakfast. After that, I go on with my day and I don't eat until I feel/hear my stomach growl. That way I physically know that my body has processed all the food in my stomach and is TELLING me it needs more. That way I feel little to no guilt and I move on. I do have to add that this is happening with much less frequency in my life. Once or twice a month maybe, so it's not a 4 times weekly occurence for me anymore.
sumu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #8  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlovin View Post
I agree with everyone else, but I personally exercise double then what my plan states to make up for it. It works for me but if you think it might lead into another binge, don't do. Just eat the same amount that was on your normal plan. I've done the starve yourself thing and it doesn't work. I wish it did but it doesnt lol.
I've always wondered about the double the exercise effort, sometimes I take that approach but then it gets me wondering about the idea of burning too many calories and messing up your bodies natural rhythm (you know that whole idea of starvation survival). But this obviously works for you sweetlovin, what about anyone else? Does anyone else double up on their exercise after a particularly bad day?
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote