Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What do you do for wraps?

View Full Version : What do you do for wraps?

cbmare
04-04-2008, 02:58 PM
I've noticed quite a few of you make wraps. Other than tortillas or lettuce leaves, what do you use?

Ruthxxx
04-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I use whole wheat pitas split into two circles or else just use them as pockets.

rockinrobin
04-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Damascus brand wraps are phenomenal. They are very large, 110 calories, 10 gms of protein and 5 fiber, something like that, I don't have the bag in front of me. They are incredibly tasty too. My favorite is red pepper onion.

LaTorilla is another brand that I've heard of that is very low cal, high protein & fiber.

I do use romaine lettuce for wraps. Great with tuna.

chick_in_the_hat
04-04-2008, 09:33 PM
La Tortilla low carb whole wheat - 50 calories, 8 g fiber...good stuff. :T

suitejudyblueeyes
04-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I use the Flat Out brand wraps. I have a freezer full of 'em because I can't always find them at the grocery store.

Otherwise I find Boston lettuce is fantastic for rolling up lunchmeat and things. It's flexible and buttery in texture and just the right size.

pipernoswiper
04-04-2008, 11:57 PM
if your on ww the la tortilla wraps (the 50 calorie ones) are free for one, you have to count a point if you use 2.

i put everything in a wrap, peanut butter, spaghetti sauce and grated romano cheese, ham and cheese, chicken, veggie wraps, tuna or salmon, i've even made a gourmet mustard wrap when i've been out of points for the day, i wasnt hungry, i just wanted to eat, it satisfies the need to chew, and its free (i'm all about free foods!) o tih almsot forgot, i do this all the time, nuke a jennie-0 turkey hot dog (3 points), put on a piece of ww singles (1point), and i have a 4 point pig in a blanket......num num!

gastronome
04-05-2008, 02:32 AM
When I'm feeling really exotic I use rice paper wrappers to make wraps because the tortilla and lettuce leaves get real old. I can make spring rolls for very little calories. You can find these in many asian stores...they come in flat dried circles usually in a plastic container.

LLV
04-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Normally I just use the traditional tortilla (I don't like the flat out wraps, the texture is too spongey and papery for me) but on occasion I'll make chappati bread, which is really good for wraps.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/Recipe.aspx?recipeId=34979

azmom
04-05-2008, 08:05 PM
I love both the Flat Out wraps and the La Tortilla wheat tortillas for wraps!

Cassie501107
04-05-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm using La Tortilla as well...trying to get used to the taste; I'm not all that wild about 'em....yet.;)

Cassie501107
04-06-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm using La Tortilla as well...trying to get used to the taste; I'm not all that wild about 'em....yet.;)

Scratch that--I made a wrap with a La Tortilla today that was just...INCREDIBLE! I threw some Laughing Cow cheese, baby spinach, tomato, and turkey on it, and wow--I'll be having that much more often.:yes:

friendlykat4u
04-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I like Caesar's Lavash low carb wraps, one is 100 cal and it fits a lot of filling. I usually load them with vegetables, but I've also done peanut butter, bananas, etc. I love them.

gemini1567
04-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Oh, thanks for the ideas. I'm getting used to this whole weight loss thing & need all the hints & pointers I can get!

cbmare
04-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks all! I have some of the Asian wraps at home. I just have to put them in hot water. Do you heat your tortillas? I can't stand them cold. I guess I could bring the innards in a container and heat the tortilla in the microwave.

Hmmm. Now I'm going to be planning my lunches in a different way.

Thanks again.

rockinrobin
04-10-2008, 08:00 AM
You can heat them up by putting them directly on the burner on your stove top. On a low flame for a few secs. Don't let them get burnt though. Just a little warm, and maybe a little darkened in spots.

AussieDaria
04-15-2008, 08:14 AM
i put everything in a wrap, peanut butter, spaghetti sauce and grated romano cheese, ham and cheese, chicken<snip>I got about this far before realising that this wasn't all in the one wrap! :D

I use either mountain bread or lavash for wraps.

You can make unfried spring rolls using rice paper wraps and say, bbq chicken with grated veggies like zucchini and carrot, and tiny-dice onion and capsicum. Tasty and amazingly filling and you won't believe how low in calories rice paper wraps are. Weird rubbery texture, but I like that. :) Only problem is, although they're really tasty they're surprisingly easy to get bored with, which is a bit of a shame. Not sure why that is, but I found that any more than once a fortnight and I went right off them for ages. *shrug*

cbmare
04-17-2008, 02:22 PM
I got about this far before realising that this wasn't all in the one wrap! :D

I use either mountain bread or lavash for wraps.

You can make unfried spring rolls using rice paper wraps and say, bbq chicken with grated veggies like zucchini and carrot, and tiny-dice onion and capsicum. Tasty and amazingly filling and you won't believe how low in calories rice paper wraps are. Weird rubbery texture, but I like that. :) Only problem is, although they're really tasty they're surprisingly easy to get bored with, which is a bit of a shame. Not sure why that is, but I found that any more than once a fortnight and I went right off them for ages. *shrug*

OK. How long is a "fortnight"?

So far I've found tortillas only. Where are these lavash and other wraps? They are not on the shelves with the tortillas.

SkinnyDogMom
04-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Probably more than you wanted to know:

Fortnight
From Wikipedia
The fortnight is a unit of time equivalent to fourteen days. The word derives from the Old English feorwertyne niht, meaning "fourteen nights".[1]

The word is common in Britain, Ireland and many Commonwealth countries such as India and Australia where many wages, salaries and most social security benefits are paid on a fortnightly basis.[2] The fortnight is rarely used in United States of America, but is used regionally in Canada. It is also the base unit of time in the humorous FFF System of units.

In many languages, there is no single word for a two-week period and the equivalents of "two weeks" or "fourteen days" have to be used. Payroll systems may use the term bi-weekly in reference to pay periods every two weeks. In Spanish, Italian, French and in Portuguese, there are the terms quincena, quindici giorni, quinzaine and quinzena, all meaning "fifteen days". Similarly, in Greek, the term dekapenthimero meaning "fifteen days" is also used. In Arabic the short term "أسبوعان" (two weeks) is commonly used and the longer term "خمسة عشر يوماً" (fifteen days) is used to a lesser extent. In Hebrew the term "שבועיים" (two weeks) is commonly used.

friendlykat4u
04-17-2008, 07:02 PM
OK. How long is a "fortnight"?

So far I've found tortillas only. Where are these lavash and other wraps? They are not on the shelves with the tortillas.

I get the lavash at BJ's and they're at the bakery section. At the supermarket they have them in the deli section, right in front of the deli counter, I shop at Shaw's and I've seen them in the same spot at Stop & Shop.

BlueToBlue
04-17-2008, 08:58 PM
I use La Tortilla Factory wraps but I have to admit I think they taste pretty cardboardy. Unfortunately they are the only low cal wrap carried in any of the grocery stores in my area (believe me, I've looked). :mad:

I do like Trader Joe's whole wheat pitas, which are only 130 calories per pita, but I think they'd break apart if you tried to roll them up like a wrap (but you could stuff them).

cbmare
04-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the descriptions of a fortnight.

I'll look more carefully for the wraps. Blue, we live pretty close. If I find them, I'll let you know where.

ShannanA
04-30-2008, 03:32 AM
I like roast beef, cheese, lots of mayo, tomato and alfalfa sprouts. I'm on low carb though and get the 3 carb tortillas.

ANOther
05-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Another satisfied Flat Out customer, I just made a roast-beef wrap for lunch today. I've also tried them as pizza crusts but have to be sure not to cook them too long. I'm now using the white whole-wheat

gailr42
05-01-2008, 01:11 PM
SkinnyDogMom, thanks for the info on fortnight. I love trivia.

I had a wrap at Costco yesterday. I've never had one before and I liked it except as an earlier poster mentioned, it seemed like it should be warm. Sort of damp and doughy cold.

fourangelsmommie
07-06-2008, 10:04 PM
I try to get low fat tortillas at wal-mart, not sure what brand, and I use them in place of bread for sandwiches, wraps, pizza, quesadillas, egg rolls, etc.

Top with Peanut butter and jelly, cream cheese & Jelly, stuff with eggwhites, cheese, ham, turkey bacon, veggies, tuna or chicken salad, roast beef, turkey, chicken, use as pizza crust by topping with chicken and bbq sauce and cheese, make tacos, quesadillas, etc.

I love tortillas, and have started using them for EVERYTHING, so much so, that my hubby asks ''where's the bread'? now.

kaplods
07-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I've also used the rice paper viatnamese spring roll rappers (they sort of look like dried gelatin).

The other day I made a wrap with a large sheet of nori (the seaweed sheets used for sushi). It was very good, but I should have let it stand on the counter a few minutes, and/or used a moiser filling, to allow the nori to soften more before eating (it would have made biting through the wrapper easier).

walking2lose
07-06-2008, 10:21 PM
I don't eat bread at home, so wraps are frequent thing for me to eat. I use either Buena Vida Reduced Carb Whole Wheat wraps (I'm not a low carber, but these have only 70 calories and I think 5 grams of fiber!!) or Trader Joe's Low Carb Wheat wraps (these are smaller and have only 50 calories ...yea!!). Both of these taste good and work well with a smear of hummus and veggies or a breakfast burrito, turkey and cheese, mini "pizzas" or whatever. The Buena Vida are from WalMart of all places (in refrig section).

I do like Flat Outs too.

BlueToBlue
07-06-2008, 10:36 PM
...or Trader Joe's Low Carb Wheat wraps (these are smaller and have only 50 calories ...yea!!).

Really! I've never seen these at my Trader Joe's. Maybe they are a new product--I'm going to have to keep an eye out for them.

snapless
07-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Copied from another thread I posted it in...

I use the La Tortilla Factory's multigrain (12g fiber!) which is made with 5 whole grains and extra virgin olive oil.

100 calories
3.5 grams total fat
- 0.5 grams saturated fat
- 0 grams trans fat
- 0 grams polyunsaturated fat
- 2 grams monounsaturated fat
0 mg cholesterol
290 mg sodium
17 grams total carbs
12 grams dietary fiber
1 gram sugar
8 grams protein

And I love the way they taste too. I also use them as my 'dough' for my homemade pizzas. :)

walking2lose
07-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Hey Barbara - Nope, they aren't new at our store; I've been getting them for at least 2 years. I am going to TJ's tomorrow, so I'll post the full nutritional info for you. Yes, they are small, but they are a staple in our house.

I hope you can find them, although different TJ's carry different items. I remember your raves about TJs egg white egg salad - I look for that every time I'm there, hoping ours will start carrying it. No luck yet!

BlueToBlue
07-07-2008, 03:50 AM
snapless, it just goes to show that everyone's taste is different. I also get the La Tortilla multigrain wraps or sometimes I get their sun-dried tomato variety, but I think both taste very close to cardboard. They work for holding a wrap together, but I definitely wish I could find something I liked better for the same calories.

Hey Barbara - Nope, they aren't new at our store; I've been getting them for at least 2 years. I am going to TJ's tomorrow, so I'll post the full nutritional info for you. Yes, they are small, but they are a staple in our house.

I hope you can find them, although different TJ's carry different items. I remember your raves about TJs egg white egg salad - I look for that every time I'm there, hoping ours will start carrying it. No luck yet!

Bummer. I'll have to scour my TJ's for them; maybe I've just missed them. Where does your TJ's stock them--are they with the tortillas and pitas?

Maybe you could ask your TJ's to start carrying the egg white salad. It's called Egg White Salad and it comes in spicy ranchero, original chive, and salmon and dill flavors. I just happen to have a tub in my fridge right now so I can tell that you the SKU for the spicy ranchero flavor is 0086 5500 (or 86550, it's listed both ways on the package).

snapless
07-07-2008, 04:10 AM
snapless, it just goes to show that everyone's taste is different. I also get the La Tortilla multigrain wraps or sometimes I get their sun-dried tomato variety, but I think both taste very close to cardboard. They work for holding a wrap together, but I definitely wish I could find something I liked better for the same calories.

Have you considered making your own or purchasing fresh from a local Mexican food restaurant?

Read this article for a basic idea on how to make flour tortillas:
http://www.texascooking.com/features/sept98flourtortillas.htm

I recommend using the Sonoran recipe and modifying it (whole grain flour and olive oil instead of all purpose flour and shortening, you might even try adding other things to the mix, like grinding up your own sun-dried tomato slices).

I'm from TX and there are restaurants there where you can purchase all kinds of mexican food 'style' ingredients, including whole grain wraps made fresh.

Personally if I were back in the US with a normal sized kitchen, I'd be making my own. But with the extremely limited counter space and packaged products I have available here, I'll stick with the La Tortilla multigrains. :)

EDIT: PS: One of the reasons I think I like my wraps so much is I cover the entire inside of the wrap with a thin film of dijonaisse before I build it. Adds a lot of flavor.

BlueToBlue
07-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Snapless, I'm really looking for something that is a lot lower in calories. That recipe makes eight 7 or 8 inch tortillas that are going to come in at around 120 calories each, even if I use whole wheat flour. For that size wrap, I want it to be around 50 calories. The La Tortilla wraps work for me because they are super large for their 100 calories, so a lot of times I only need to eat half.

Same goes for tortillas from local restaurants--they are all going to be too high in calories. In fact, in most cases, I wouldn't even be able to find out the nutritional info for them.

walking2lose
07-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Hey Barbara - I went to TJ's today, so I'm going to post the info for you on the wraps. They are in the refrigerated section with the other wraps (near produce). I was rushed today, but I may request the egg salad sometime. I have asked about it before, and the employee went to the back. Her answer was just that "Our store doesn't carry that at this time." :( I am an egg fanatic, specifically an egg white fanatic. DH likes to say I'm going to turn into an egg. I know I would love that egg salad!

They're called Reduced Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas (like I said, I am not on a low carb regime, but I just like these, and they're very low cal- they work well for type 1 diabetic DH too)

They are SMALL 1 tortilla is one ounce - about 6.5 inches. DH wants to know what I'm doing with the tape measure and the tortillas in the office! :dizzy:

50 Cal
2.5 fat (0 sat. fat)
6 carbs
2 fiber (thought it was higher)
3 protein

The other ones I get at Super WalMart (yech, but it's 5 minutes away, and TJ's is 30 minutes away) are good too.

Buena Vida for Low Carb diets whole wheat- these are a little bigger - about 7 inches
70 cal
4 fat (0 sat fat)
7 carb
3 fiber
4 protein

Both of these wraps are small, so if you are happy with your the La Tortilla, you may just want to stick with them. I personally like them BECAUSE they are small - great for a quick breakfast burrito, sandwich, "pizza" or whatever. I do sometimes eat 2 of them for lunch if I don't have much else to supplement my lunch. Hope you can find them, so you can try them out.

walking2lose
07-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Snapless -- I LOVE homemade tortillas! They remind me of my childhood. We lived in Texas when I was three, and my parents got hooked on pintos, homemade tortillas, and other Tex/Mex homemade fare. They make the homemade tortillas still about once a year when they get the urge. Yum.

BlueToBlue
07-08-2008, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the info, Walking. I'd prefer a small wrap, so long as it isn't 120 calories. I often end up cutting the La Tortilla wraps in half, which is a little awkward--they end up in a half circle shape that doesn't hold filling well (so they taste like cardboard and my filling spills out--nope, I'm definitely not happy with them). If I could find a small wrap that I like that is only 50 calories, that would be perfect. If I have more filling than fits in one wrap, I can always divide the filling between two wraps. I haven't scoured TJ's refrigerated section for them, I was looking over by the bread, so maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.

fiberlover
07-14-2008, 09:22 AM
I love the Flat out wraps. I also use those for a thin crust pizza. Just put on sauce, cheese and turkey pepperoni. Toaster oven for 3-4 minutes, yum!

pipernoswiper
07-31-2008, 10:40 PM
heres a le tortillia wrap tip, cook the wrap in a skillet with olive oil pam cooking spray and favorite seasonings (after you have it filled) and it makes it really good. a little crunchy and a lot less cardboardy :)

Vladadog
08-07-2008, 10:38 PM
I love Joseph's brand pita's, wraps, and tortillas. I buy the flax, oat, and whole wheat ones. A small pita (http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/josephs/flax-oat-bran-26-whole-wheat-flour-pita-bread-small) is sandwich size and only 45 calories. And very very yummy.

Unfortunately, I believe these are only available in the north east. But they are worth trying to track down.

SunshineCA
08-19-2008, 06:39 PM
I mainly use lettuce leaves (bibb, red/green leaf, romaine) and whole wheat tortilla shells. Cabbage leaves are good as well. :)