General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212.6/149.6/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Any other "worriers" out there?

Does anybody else tend to worry things to death? It seems like I can even take the good things going on in my life (i.e. leaving for Jamaica on Tuesday) and start worrying about it (somehow our reservations will get messed up.) I really drive myself crazy with it sometimes. It's not everyday, but when I'm having "one of those days" I swear I can put a negative, worrisome scenario on anything! Does anyone else ever do this?
PJS145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #2  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

You are not alone! I worry about some things almost to obsession. Especially my kids. Or about traveling or about them traveling without us (like on youth group trips across country). I know where some of this worrying comes from, but it's still difficult to deal with. I don't know an easy answer, but I do a lot of praying when I'm dealing with issues beyond my control. For the things I can control, I make a lot of checklists, so I don't forget things, and double-check everything when I'm packing, and things like that to try to eliminate some of the little errors that can cause me to worry. I think everyone has things they worry about and sometimes that's good, especially when it causes you to go back and make sure the iron is unplugged before you leave! Have a great trip, but don't worry tooooooo much!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #3  

Thanks for your great advice! Once we get there I'll be fine-it is the land of No Problem, Mon!lol I really like your reminder about prayer-sometimes in all my "worriedness" I forget that simple bit of advice!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, that's sort of my life. I'm a worrier, obsessive type. But I've been on and off Paxil for years, and that seems to help a little. I've tried all sorts of things to just get my mind off of things. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But one thing that helps is sometimes just thinking through the situation. Going to the worst-case scenario sometimes helps me to put it all into perspective.

So, if your reservations are screwed up, what will happen? Chances are you can still get a room in the hotel and if not that hotel, another one. And hey, it is Jamaica, right? You wouldn't freeze to death if you had to sleep on the beach, would you?

Now, stop worrying and have fun!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #5  

Amy-great point!!! Maybe the reason I like Jamaica so much is that it really is a culture of "no worries." Once I get there (this is our 3rd trip) I always feel so relaxed and calm and worry free. Wish they could bottle that!

Thanks for your positive thoughts.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Worry? You mean waking up at 2 AM and you can't get back to sleep at all because you constantly go over lists of things to do so you don't accidentally forget something? Count me in. I don't think I've had a full night sleep EVER! And people think I'm so calm!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #7  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

Champion worrywart here! I can worry about anything, but my "favorites" are health anxiety (can get pretty bothersome) and worrying about running late or forgetting to do important tasks (is rather convenient since my DH is such a dreamy sometimes).

Some days, I just have this all-pervading sense of doom that gets me to worry about the most ridiculous things and scenarios. Recognizing this mood (and making fun of it) is usually the first step towards battling it for me.

Another strategy I have for specific worries is to look at what aspects I can control (and plan what I can do about it, then do it) and to consciously try and let go of the aspects I have no control over. I also ask myself: what is more probable - that this thing you fear really comes true, or that you're being your usual overanxious self?
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am a worrier, and it can be really destructive, in my experience. I'm working toward using mantras whenever I'm feeling panicky. Just close your eyes and repeat "Everything is exactly as it is meant to be at this moment in time".

Sometimes it really helps.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #9  

So nice to not be alone! I love the mantra idea, mandalinn....and heffalump, I totally get the "all pervading" sense of doom. Thanks to everyone for their wonderful suggestions-I suddenly feel like I can get a handle on this!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #10  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Oh man...I wish there was a switch where I could turn my brain off sometimes. It never ends! I worry 24/7 about anything and everything. The mantras do work...I had to use them when DS went to Iraq! Of course I have to say it is 100 times worse for me with kids.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #11  

I am definitely a worrier. My best solution is to talk to my sister. She helps me get my thoughts straight and open my mind to the possibility that maybe there really is nothing to worry about, after all. It's always good to have someone to talk to and help you see things from a different perspective.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote