General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default TOPS election

Our TOPS group held elections tonight (delayed because of weather problems this month), and I was voted co-leader. It wasn't really a surprise, because I was asked to consider the position, and told no one else had wanted to run, but still I'm excited.

My husband and I are both on disability, and he and I had discussed my responsibilities and whether or not I could handle the responsibilities of the position. At the time, he said "just to make it clear" that he would support me, but did not want to hold any office himself.

Well, he was nominated for treasurer (not by me), and the nomination was seconded (again, not by me). Surprisingly, he accepted the nomination, and was voted in (winning by one vote). On the way home I asked him why he had accepted the nomination (and voted for himself) if he didn't want the position, and he said that he didn't want to be nominated and not have a single vote, so he voted for himself (thinking it would be the only vote). I laughed asking if he didn't even think I would vote for him, and he said he wasn't sure, but he didn't want to take any chances, and was hoping for at least three votes so it wouldn't be obvious that only he (and possibly I) had voted for him.

Actually, he's quite pleased to have the position, and agreed that as officers, it helps boost our commitment to doing well and attending the meetings.

I brought up to the group, and asked the current leader to check with the area captain to make sure it's ok to have a husband/wife co-leader/treasurer. Any checks written by the group need two signatures of the three officers authorized (leader, co-leader, and treasurer). I suggested that even if the area captain is ok with it, that we need to change our group's policy so that no checks are signed only by my husband and myself. We decided if possible to replace me with an other officer as an authorized signer. I know the group trusts us, and we would never abuse that trust, but it's just the right thing to do, you know? I would hate for someone to think that it would even be possible for us to misuse the club's funds (all $50 of it).

Actually, it's funny to think of my husband embezzling funds, as the first thing he suggested in the car, was that if he had to write checks that weren't for even dollar amounts, he intended to deposit the difference in the account himself so he would only have to deal with even numbers. Since TOPS is a nonprofit, I guess that would be kosher as long as he recorded it as a donation.

Anyway, just thought it was fun to share.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Congratulations! They are lucky to have you and as a team, it will be great to have that added support/incentive.

I'm actually thinking of looking back into TOPS, maybe even starting a group.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #3  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Congrats to you and hubby, Colleen! What a good motivator to go to meetings!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Congratulations!!! I know you & your husband are big supporters of TOPS so this must be very exciting All the best!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote