Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #1  
petty

S/C/G: 178/168/120

Height: 5'

Unhappy hello I had gastric bypass 1998.

I had gastric bypass in 1998 and went from 238 to 128. now its 2008 and I am going to weight watchers again as I was back up to 176 lbs. I have had many medical problems since the bypass. B12 defiency, heart problems, blood clots, higher blood pressure than before (for a while it was way down but did not last ) and sick, sick and more sick every time I eat anything with milk or fried foods or sugar. I do not recommend having it done. My husband had it done also and he has kept off some of the weight but has a lot of the same problems I have. Weight watchers is good if you can follow it. You cannot give up as it is not easy to do. everyone i talk to that has had the surgury that I had has had the same problems and eventually gain back the weight and still have the medical problems but more. Good luck you will need it. also most painful operation I ever had...
petty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Thanks for the heads up...I understand that some are lactose intolerant though I am not...I will keep up my vitamin B's and follow my Dr's thought of very low fat and no sugar.

I am sorry you had such a hard time. Good luck to you, I hope you find an easier time of things.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

a lot of people regain their weight if they're not careful - it's only a tool - just like weight watchers is a tool. and there ARE INDEED risks associated with the surgery, and there are ways to minimize them [notice i didn't say GET RID OF THEM!].

getting 'sick' from sugar and fried foods is common - it's called dumping, and it's a sign to stop eating that stuff. and many people become lactose intolerant after the surgery -

i'm wondering if your surgeon explained the risks and lifestyle you needed to follow. no matter what, though, if WW works for you and your husband, that's wonderful.

WLS will work only if we work with it, not against it. and that's why we always say around here that ya gotta do your homework before going into surgery, and ya gotta be prepared for post-surgery changes! ALL kinds of changes!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #4  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Why would you be eating fried food or anything with sugar anyway. You know what it does to a person, let alone a bariatric patient. WLS is only a tool, not a cure all. You have to follow all the same drs. orders as from the start.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

You said you had the Bypass in 1998. My MIL had her bypass in 2002 and didn't hear half the things I heard in 2006 when I had my bypass. Also she didn't have to jump through any of the hurdles we had to jump through (ie the 6 months supervised diet) She had her surgery within 30 days of seeing the doctor for the first time. And we even used the same surgery office.
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 316/SD300/254/180 RNY 3-4-08

Height: 5'8

Default Was there a question in there?

I am sorry to hear you have had soo many problems. In point WLS is ONLY a tool and you only get out of it what you put into it. I may only be a few weeks post op but, from all the training and information that I have gained an learned before choosing this path says LIMITED sugar, and it does not make sense to go through all this process and eat fried foods. I know that unless I make sure I keep up with my suppliments, I could have other problems. I hope you find what you are looking for and good luck.
whitelion30 is offline   Reply With Quote