Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/239/155

Height: 5'7"

Unhappy I need a suggestion

Hi there everyone. I am very new to this site (new today), and am hoping that I will be able to get some good advice from you all.

My issue is that, like so many of us, I hate to excersize. There are very few things I actually enjoy - swimming and hiking. As far as swimming goes, I don't have a pool and on a Starbucks paycheck can't really afford to join a gym. The hiking is something that I would hope to be able to replicate.

Walking is ok, but gets really boring. It just seems to be the same thing over and over and over again - walking around a track or in the neighborhood - but hiking dosen't give me that, and it seems like I am working harder.

The problem I have is that there isn't really anywhere to hike around me, but that's the only activity I really enjoy. Any suggestions for me?
Meridee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Hmmm... Love hiking, no place to go, that really sucks... Around here we have trails in marshes that are really nice... Or if walking is available and you find it boring go to the library and get some books on tape or CDs, that will make the time go faster... I do like walking or running though because I look at all the houses and the decors outside and inside, I play mind games of what I would do with this or that...

Just some suggestions, keep us posted on what you'll do plus I'm sure someone else will come along with more imaginative suggestions than I have...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #3  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

I love strength training. Cardio...not so much. At all. But back when I was starting my diet I realized I had to get moving. What worked for me (both at my heavy weight & almost pre-beginner skill level) was Walk Away the Pounds. I really liked it. Used the 1-mile WATP DVD for quite a long time & then moved to the 2-mile version. I like it because it is FAST (under 1/2 hr) & before I knew it my cardio was done. I still use WATP at least once a week...now using the little weight balls for extra zip.

OK, so I was doing well w/WATP but was starting to get bored after about 6 months. Then I discovered Zumba. OMG...LOVE it! It's a Latin dance cardio routine & provides a very fun & thorough cardio workout. There are no Zumba classes near me so I bought the DVDs from Zumba.com.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions on the hiking though.
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #4  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

I googled Royal Oak, MI, and came up with some nature walks hosted by the Royal Oak Nature Society, the Detroit Zoo (scenic place for a walk, anyway), and something like 50 local parks. Would one of those work for getting some hiking in? For the swimming, is there a YMCA nearby? They will pro-rate the monthly fee, all you have to do is apply for financial scholarship, then you could probably afford the membership or at least get a swim in once in a while. Good luck, and welcome to 3FC!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 03-08-2008 at 01:47 PM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

I love walking and swimming and dislike many other forms of exercise as well. Since cash is an issue, you could try keeping an eye on Craigslist for a treadmill or elliptical in your price range, or even a mini-trampoline - those are great things to do when you are watching the tv (I can do over an hour on my elliptical without even noticing it if I pop in a movie). Someone here recently posted that they got a 'gazelle' machine for $30 off their local Craigslist. Lots of exercise things on Craigslist are brand new, or almost new, because people buy them with the best intentions, but then wind up never using them.

Free weights are good exercise too. You can buy them one or two at a time, and they should be between $5-10 each, new. I have seen them for sale on Craigslist several times too. Oh, and maybe ask your local Freecycle group if anyone has any free weights of other exercise equipment you can have. You may may discover you don't like that exercise, but it doesn't hurt to try all kinds of different things - you might find something you like eventually.

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Check to see if your local library has any books about hiking in your area. I've found some of the best hidden hiking spots in books (ok if they are in a book, they aren't hidden) but basically places I didn't think would have hiking actually did. You can also google for hiking spots in your area.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #7  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I've never used it, but I know people who have - Meetup.com

I put Royal Oak, MI in and there seems to be a lot of like-minded people in your area:

http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/mi/r...ak/#Recreation

You might find a group there that interests you.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #8  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

You might try a site like mapmyrun.com as well....

Music makes even a boring walk or run more fun. Fill up the mp3 player and move it.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

The Walk Away the Pounds DVD is a good way to "walk" indoors and the time really seems to fly by when I do it. It's not the same repetative thing, there's kicking, and side steps, and arm movements (better workout than going around the block). You can get the DVD's on Netflix if you have it and try them out before you buy.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #10  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Is there a recreation centre nearby, with a pool? I used to swim, and I loved it. I looked pretty good at that time. I like to swim lanes (although I swim breast stroke and I am not the fastest swimmer) and in order to be in a pool that is not packed, I used to get up a 5:20 am in order to be ready to jump in the pool the moment the door (from the shower area to the pool) is unlocked, at 6 am sharp.
I don't mind getting up early, but in winter it really requires a strong will.
Unfortunately, I moved, and I don't have a pool close enough (and one that opens early enough). I had to return home before going to work to let the dogs out and now when I live farther away, going to the same pool is out of question.

Anyway, but what I wanted to say is to check if the rec centre has something like a seasonal pass. Here, they used to sell one and it was a lot cheaper than buying admission every single time. (I think it used to be $100 for 50 visits, versus $3 or $3.50 for individual admission). I am sure it is more expensive now, but seasonal passes are quite economical. Swimming is actually very good for you. I wish my arms were as toned as they were when I used to swim.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 248/?/150

Don't really have any suggestions that haven't been mentioned. BUT...your name is what attracted me to this thread. I have a niece by that name AND a classmate back in high school. Think the spelling on theirs is Maridee however. It's not that common of a name so just wanted to pop in to mention this! Hope you figure out what type of exercise will work for you!!
frustratedieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #12  

I totally understand how just walking/jogging can be suuuper boring. I have a treadmill that face two things: a wall and a light switch. Haha, not very visually stimulating...

I find that music is the thing that gets me going to the maxxx. Here are some songs I like to play:

1) SexyBack
2) The Final Countdown
3) Bringin' Da Noise (by NSync)
4) Pump It
5) Woo Hoo (by The 5 6 7 8's)
6) Jump In The Line
7) Livin La Vida Loca
8) I Got to Keep on Moving
9) Suavemente
10) If U Can't Dance (by The Spice Girls)
11) Boom,Boom (by The Kumbia Kings)
12) Barbie Girl
13) Peanut Butter Jelly Time
14) Ca Plane Pour Moi (by Plastic Bertrand)
15) Hey Mama
16) The Numa Numa Song

Some of them are pretty dorky, but they give me that little extra push of amusement that wants to keep me going.
cephalopod gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 257/239/155

Talking Thanks!!!

Wow! I must say you all have some great ideas!

Thanks so much, I am going to check out a few things that you suggested and see if it helps. I'm sure it will!
Meridee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #14  

If you don't have any trails nearby, or you've walked the nearby trails so much that they've become boring, I'd suggest simply driving to different nearby areas/communities to walk around just for the different scenery so you have something new to look at.

Also, I can always suggest Dance Dance Revolution if you or a loved one has a Playstation 2 or Xbox. It's pretty fun AND it's a great cardiovascular exercise. I play it for at least an hour daily.
Coryo61827 is offline   Reply With Quote