Old 03-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #1  
Carb fiend!

S/C/G: 246/232/140

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy How to tell what you're burning off?

Hey, how can I find out how many calories of the ones i've eatten have been burned off? I've opened a FitDay account but i'm a bit confused! Also, i've entered what i've eatten today and what I know i'm going to be eating today but it seems so low! It only came to 1429 and I haven't even thought about cutting down. Calorie counting is a whole new world to me I'd also really like to find out what my resting metabolic rate is but I don't have a clue! Help!
Thanks
FakeFrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #2  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Since you're new to calorie counting, don't worry so much about the math yet. Just estimate how many calories to consume each day based on some of the calculators out there, like this one. Try this for a few weeks, see how you do, and tweak as needed.

Weight loss is a long term commitment, so there'll be plenty of time for learning and adjustments along the way. Congratulations on getting started!

P.S. I love Death Cab too. New album coming soon!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

The formula for Basal Metabolic rate is BMR =655+(4.35 x weight in pounds)+(4.7 x height in inches)-(4.7 x age in years). This should be what your body burns just by getting thru the day if you spend the whole day on the couch.

The one thing I really dislike about Fitday is the calories burned portion. IMHO - it is misleading. I have my Lifestyle Level set at bedbound....and it still seems high.

So, your normal food day can in at 1429 calories and you haven't even changed how you eat? That does seem kinda low for not even cutting back yet....if you want, make your Fitday public and post the link? We might be able to help with a little more detail.

Check out the calorie counting stickies for lots of useful info, too.

And to Calorie Counters!! For me it has been the way to go along with daily exercise.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #4  
Carb fiend!

Thanks for your replies! I will PM you my FitDay link as I haven't posted enough to be able to put links on here. I'm thinking maybe i haven't got the portions right or something as i'm english, i'm not used to working in cups and 'sticks'!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #5  
Carb fiend!

I'm sorry but I can't send it to you yet as I can't PM anyone but moderators until I reach 10 posts!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #6  
Meg

You can post your Fitday link under your user name in the gray box to the left of your posts, where you have your S/C/G weights and height.

Go to User CP at the top left of this page, then click on Edit Profile. Scroll down until you see Fitday. Enter your Fitday user name only (not the entire URL). Then click Save Changes. Remember that you have to change your Fitday account to public in order for this to work (go to your Home Page in Fitday and click Make My Journal Public! at the bottom of the page).

If you need help, just ask!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #7  
Carb fiend!

Thanks very much!
Old 03-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #8  

OK - I see your Fitday -

As far as calories burned - I wouldn't trip too much over logging couch time unless you are trying to be able to report less of it in the future? I do like Fitday for the reporting - and that might be fun to be able to look back at later.

on the aerobics and the walking - it is so important to exercise along with watching what you eat. If you really want an accurate count of how many calories you are burning, I recommend a heart rate monitor. That being said - I also think when you are just starting out, if you watch your calories and move, which you are already doing, you don't need to be really hardcore about the EXACT numbers. Later - when you get really close to goal might be a whole different story.

You didn't ask about opinions on what you ate - but can I suggest adding some veggies? It's a great way to get lots more volume in without adding a bunch of calories.

You are on the right track - asking questions is good! You'll get lots of advice from the chicks (and dudes) here.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #9  
Carb fiend!

Thanks for the advice, I was planning on eating a pieces of fruit between each of my main meals to stop hunger pangs but I just wasnt hungy. It may be because of the appetite surpressant i'm trying out (non prescription) or cause i'd been drinking a lot of water or both as the pill is making me really thirsty, not sure.
Thanks
Old 03-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #10  
Carb fiend!

I've also used that equation to work out my RMR and it came to 1943.3, that sounds really high! I also thought i would try out one of those online ones and it says its 2,273 so maybe i shall just calorie and do lots of exercise which should work!

Last edited by FakeFrowns; 03-01-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #11  

At the end of the day - the equations are just an estimate. What really works is experimenting and learning about yourself.

From where I'm sitting you are already doing the 2 things I think help me most. Logging what you are consuming and exercising.