Old 02-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 162/141.9/137

Height: 5'5'

Default Zip N Steam Bags

Has anyone tried those Zip N Steam Bags? I bought some last week and tried cooking chicken breast for dinner. I put in two frozen chicken breast and some Buffalo wing sauce. It tells you how long to cook in the microwave but my chicken breast must have been larger since it took twice as long. They come with recipes too.
jamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/141.9/137

Height: 5'5'

I forgot to mention, that other than the cooking time was longer, I think they worked great. The chicken was tender and not dried out. I saw them on The Biggest Loser last week.
jamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/195/150

Height: 5'6"

I used one for my broccoli and it worked great. It was so easy and fast. I didn't think about chicken. I will have to try that.
sunflower48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #4  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Okay, I know that you are all cringing right now, because you what I am going to say. Again. I only keep bringing this up because I care about you guys!

I went to a Wellness Festival in Jackson Hole, WY last fall. I attended a workshop taught by Dr Walter Crinnion. He is an expert in toxins. He said some things about plastics that really hit home to me. Plastics have a toxin called plasticizers in them to make them more flexible. So the more flexible a plastic is, the more plasticizers that it has in it. When plastics are heated they break down, allowing the plasticizers to be released. When you heat food in flexible plastics such as ziplock bags, the toxins leach into your food and you eat them. Here are a couple of articles from Dr Crinnions website if you are interested.

http://www.crinnionmedical.com/artic...-diabetes.html

http://www.crinnionmedical.com/artic...r-thyroid.html
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #5  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

According to what I am reading on-line, the plastic these are made with is considered a "people safe plastic".

For what it is worth, I use them and love the convenience of them for those nights we are running short on time beacuse of activities.
krjpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Is there an actual quality difference though between just steaming in the serving bowl with a damp paper towel? Has anyone tried steaming both ways? In what ways are the steaming bags superior to the damp paper towel method? Is the taste better? Clean-up easier (but unless you're eating them right out of the bag, you still have to put them in a dish, right?)
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1"

Smile

I have never heard of these "Zip and Steam Bags" interesting concept. I have to look into it more. I love Ziploc products, they are so well made and very handy. The BIG XXL Ziploc bags came in handy when I was on vacation (trying to bring home only my clothes and nothing creepy crawly if you know what I mean - Tropical Island.) Anyway, let me refocus cause this is a food forum (ha,ha,ha)

I know that Turkey is great when cooked in oven bags (what a difference) and those Reynolds Crock Pot Liners I heard were good too. I will report back when I try it. Thanks for the tip "JAMIAM"
kennedy5672 is offline   Reply With Quote