100 lb. Club - Does anyone else eat..

View Full Version : Does anyone else eat..

sockmonkey70
02-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Lunchables?

As many of you know, I have been struggling to find my way back on track. I don't have alot of time to cook, so I allow myself to say "It's ok, I'll just grab some fast food."

I think I have found my personal solution..I know it sounds kiddy...But I really like Lunchables! The little pizza kits and the lunch meat and cheeses are really good. And not as nutritionally void as fast food..I don't have to stop and count out crackers, pull out lunch meat, pull out cheese. It's already there, ready to grab and take with me. They are way cheaper than eating fast food everyday too! Only like $2. I can get the Lunchable Juniors for $1 with the coupons that come on them, and they make a nice 140 calorie snack.

OK so tell me if I am weird LOL.

nikki112682
02-22-2008, 10:40 PM
I think that's a pretty good idea! Let me know how it works out for u. I do weight watchers.... I try to eat the things I love but in moderation, which is so incredibly hard. I am hooked on HOSTESS mini muffins, they are only 1 pt a package and because of the high fiber in them I am satisfied a bit longer than most other snacks.

SunshineRunner
02-22-2008, 11:13 PM
I would have lunchables a long time ago when trying to diet (not successful at that time...not due to lunchables though)...I think they are okay...but I believe they are higher in sodium than other items...not sure...but check it out. Just don't go overboard on them :)

nelie
02-22-2008, 11:52 PM
You could also try making your own 'lunchables' if you wanted once you get the hang of it.

For me, I've started eating baby food as a snack. I really enjoyed pureed fruits and they only have fruit and water as their ingredients. The butternut squash and sweet potato ones are really good too.

Daimere
02-23-2008, 12:10 AM
I have a secret. I LOVE lunchables.

SoulBliss
02-23-2008, 12:34 AM
I am hooked on HOSTESS mini muffins, they are only 1 pt a package and because of the high fiber in them I am satisfied a bit longer than most other snacks.

Hostess mini muffins are high in fiber? :dizzy:

I am glad you have found something that makes portion and calorie control easier. I do think that using reusable containers and putting together your own "lunchables" would be really great.

PhotoChick
02-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Lunchables are extremely high in sodium and full of processed chemicals. Also you have to watch them carefully. Some of them are 600+ calories and 20+ grams of fat per package.

I would suspect that the lower cal ones are better than fast food, but I wouldn't make a habit of them myself.

As someone else pointed out, you can make your own lunchables type meal. Buy your deli meat, crackers, cheese, etc., prepackage 5 or 6 of them on the weekend, and then just grab-n-go during the rest of the week.

loveXhateXregret
02-23-2008, 12:48 AM
lunchables are horrible for you!

if you are trying to lose weight and live healthier stay away from them...full of sodium (makes you retain water) and processed nonsense...

take other peoples advice...make your own...

or instead of grabbing the lunchable grab the southbeach diet wraps...waaaaay healthier for you and they are on the same shelf as the lunchables

sockmonkey70
02-23-2008, 12:57 AM
I know they aren't the most healthy food...But I am just trying to find something that works for me until I have time to cook again. I am sure one of them for lunch is better for me than a double cheeseburger and fries, or a bag full of Taco Bell I would normally pick up.

PS...I only get the ones marked "sensible solution"...They are marginally better than the others.

loveXhateXregret
02-23-2008, 01:17 AM
actually...

In 2005, Sensible Solution had added Lunchables products to their program to cut out most unhealty food items in their packages. So far, this has helped Lunchables branded products. For example, a pepperoni pizza package was at 690 calories, but it is now at 530 calories. Many lunchables products contain Airheads, Kool Aid, and Capri Sun products, while usually they used to contain Reeses peanut butter cups and on the higher calorie rated products have replaced Capri Sun with Kool Aid, usually Tropical Punch.

whereas the double cheeseburger only has 460 calories...less sodium and more protein...

if i ate meat...i would go with the double cheeseburger

mxgirl737
02-23-2008, 01:41 AM
I agree that the lunchables are probably not a great solution. The meat almost looks like plastic. I used to LOVE those things too...thinking I was being healthy if I ate them rather than getting a slice of pizza or something. Then one day I had an epiphany. They just didn't taste good.

I don't have a lot of time either, but I've found that grabbing one of those packets of tuna (90 cals) and about 80cents at the groc. store---the night before i cut up some vegs, and then portion out a little light miracle whip (~20 cals). mix it all in the pouch. so easy, filling, and not all that bad for you. ...You could even spread it on top of a few wasu crackers. So yummy!

I sometimes use the clif bars as a meal replacement too...when I don't have time. I keep one with me at all times. They're about 240 cals...but they really tend to fill me up and keep my hunger at bay. Besides...I can get a good choc. fix that way sometimes too ;)

sockmonkey70
02-23-2008, 01:48 AM
I guess I am a alone in actually liking the way they taste. I don't eat the airheads or drink the capri sun. I usually don't even buy the kinds that come with that. But eh. To each their own. I am sure a double cheeseburger and fries would be a much better solution. I don't know what I was thinking.

loveXhateXregret
02-23-2008, 01:51 AM
I agree that the lunchables are probably not a great solution. The meat almost looks like plastic. I used to LOVE those things too...thinking I was being healthy if I ate them rather than getting a slice of pizza or something. Then one day I had an epiphany. They just didn't taste good.

haha
yeah the meat was oddly shiny and slimy...shiver city!

PhotoChick
02-23-2008, 02:24 AM
I am sure a double cheeseburger and fries would be a much better solution. I don't know what I was thinking.
You asked for people's opinions and you got them. So sorry that they weren't what you wanted to hear. The snide and snippy followup really isn't necessary.

I personally don't get the point of spending money on something where you're going to throw away 1/2 of it (i.e. the candy/dessert and the drink part).

If it were me, and I didn't have time to cook (which I frequently don't), I would go to my local deli counter and buy 1/2 lb of lunch meat (lean turkey, ham, etc.), 1/2 lb of sliced cheese, a box of crackers, and maybe some dried fruit. I'd take it home and take 30 minutes to divide that into 5 portions and put them in Zip-loc snack baggies. Put each baggie (1 of meat, 1 of cheese, 1 of the fruit, 1 of crackers) in another larger baggie. Stash those in the fridge. Grab one for lunch on my way out the door.

Healthy, not processed, not paying money for packaging, not throwing away 1/2 of what's in the package, cost 1/2 of what each lunchable would cost you ... and took you less than 30 min to put together on a Sunday afternoon/evening.

But that's just me. :D

ClearBlueWater
02-23-2008, 02:43 AM
Well, she only asked if anybody else did Lunchables, too. Not a mini crash course on nutrition. If her "snide and snippy followup" isn't needed neither is the holier-than-thou attitude so many people around here carry. I've noticed this a lot. Many say "Well, it's okay that everyone's doing a different plan" in a tone that clearly says, "Although mine is obviously better." Try to remember, what works for you doesn't work for everyone else. It's a support forum. Try to be supportive.

loveXhateXregret
02-23-2008, 03:20 AM
i wasn't trying to give a crash course in nutrition nor was i taking a holier than thou attitude...

a lot of people see sensible solutions...or things that appear healthy (deli meat and crackers) and think its healthy...

whereas as in this case its worse for you than most fast food...

if i were doing the same thing and thinking it was a healthy alternative i would like someone to inform me

and the only reason i brought up the whole calorie thing was because the person who started the thread had stated that it was healthier which is a common misconception and i was just showing that it was not

bluex
02-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Yeah, I agree. She's saying she doesn't have time to cook or prepare food, hence the question. Sometimes on our way to healthier eating we make some choices that aren't the best but sure do get us past some kind of hump. I know there are lunchables that don't come with desert or drinks. I know this because i am a teacher and observe the meals.

Looking at their website, I see that some of the calorie content is as low as 310. If you are sticking to that and not eating anything else, that certainly could be one of the meals on your way to weight loss.

I do agree that long term you'd want to develop healthier habits. I certainly understand the not having time thing. I tend to make my lunches all at once on a Sunday. I make my own sandwiches in about 20 minutes on a Sunday. I even chop up tomato and wash some sprouts for another 10 minutes and I have individual bags of veggies to add to my lunches. I also buy those individual bags of carrots so that I don't have to separate them.

I sometimes wish I could eat more prepared food cause it would be easier. Unfortunately, I am not a calorie counter. I count carbs and most of the prepared stuff, even 310 calorie lunchables or weight watchers/south beach frozen food have way too many carbs for me.

If it can be part of your plan, I say go for it, just make the best lunchable choice you can make. Pick the one with more protein and less calories.

PhotoChick
02-23-2008, 03:36 AM
a lot of people see sensible solutions...or things that appear healthy (deli meat and crackers) and think its healthy...
Yep. She asked if any of us ate them, several people said no and here's why. And most of us gave her suggestions for quick and easy alternatives. I'd say that was being supportive.

Sorry that some people don't find it so. It's not meant to be holier than thou. Just helpful.

sockmonkey70
02-23-2008, 03:58 AM
Sorry if I came off as snotty...I did just ask if anyone else ate them. I never claimed they were uber healthy. They are just something that I like, and the ones I buy are between 300-340 calories...I didn't think it was a terrible lunch, and for me, right now, they are a quick fix. I am sorry if I was mistaken in thinking these were more healthy than a burger and fries with a ton of fat. I am admittedly lazy in the off time I do have..I would just rather have a lunch I can pick up and run with (that is cheap and has a long shelf life), rather than prepare food days in advance..I have never been able to stomach left overs/ old food...Just one of my OCD tendancies.

sockmonkey70
02-23-2008, 04:07 AM
and the only reason i brought up the whole calorie thing was because the person who started the thread had stated that it was healthier which is a common misconception and i was just showing that it was not

So the Lunchable Pizza meal I always buy (the one without the capri sun or airhead candy) which is 310 calories, 11 g fat, and 16 g protien is less healthy than a McDonalds Double Cheeseburger 460 calories, 23 g, fat and 25 g protien with a Medium Fry 450 calories, 22 g fat, and 6 g protein (Total 910 calories, 45 g fat, and 29 g protein)?

sockmonkey70
02-23-2008, 04:13 AM
You could also try making your own 'lunchables' if you wanted once you get the hang of it.

For me, I've started eating baby food as a snack. I really enjoyed pureed fruits and they only have fruit and water as their ingredients. The butternut squash and sweet potato ones are really good too.

And I really think this is a good idea..Thank you. I have just ben struggling lately and even if I can't eat great right now...I don't want to eat the grease ridden food I have fallen into the pattern of consuming.

sockmonkey70
02-23-2008, 04:18 AM
If it were me, and I didn't have time to cook (which I frequently don't), I would go to my local deli counter and buy 1/2 lb of lunch meat (lean turkey, ham, etc.), 1/2 lb of sliced cheese, a box of crackers, and maybe some dried fruit. I'd take it home and take 30 minutes to divide that into 5 portions and put them in Zip-loc snack baggies. Put each baggie (1 of meat, 1 of cheese, 1 of the fruit, 1 of crackers) in another larger baggie. Stash those in the fridge. Grab one for lunch on my way out the door

But that's just me. :D

Also a good suggestion.

Healthy, not processed, not paying money for packaging, not throwing away 1/2 of what's in the package, cost 1/2 of what each lunchable would cost you ... and took you less than 30 min to put together on a Sunday afternoon/evening..

I did state I don't buy that kind. For me, it's just the convenience of having it all made already. I usually spend my weekends catching up on homework, cleaning my house, doing laundry, and driving home to see my family. Sometimes I just don't get home in time to make up lunch for the week..and plus it grosses me out to eat something not prepackaged after a couple of days LOL...I don't trust my preservative skills. :)

PhotoChick
02-23-2008, 05:09 AM
and plus it grosses me out to eat something not prepackaged after a couple of days LOL...I don't trust my preservative skills.

HA! That's kinda funny. I'm just the opposite. I hate the idea that my food has been "preserved" or that someone else has packaged it. I would much rather eat something that I know how long it's been sitting in the Tupperware in my fridge. :)

We're all different, that's for sure.

sockmonkey70
02-23-2008, 05:20 AM
HA! That's kinda funny. I'm just the opposite. I hate the idea that my food has been "preserved" or that someone else has packaged it. I would much rather eat something that I know how long it's been sitting in the Tupperware in my fridge. :)

We're all different, that's for sure.

:) Indeed...That's just one of my quirks....I have no idea how long after I refrigerate something it needs to be thrown out...And it causes me not to eat things I prepare in advance. I tried it with salad..I would eat it for two days and then I would let it rot in the refrigerator.

With stuff I buy I can just look at the date. Although my dad who lives in Thailand says those dates are just a sham to get us to throw stuff out and buy more...whether it's bad or not...They don't have alot of refrigerators there LOL. Who knows!

PhotoChick
02-23-2008, 05:33 AM
Seriously about food - learn to trust yourself here. Your sense of smell and taste will tell you if the food is good or not. Dates on packages are just guidelines at best. One of the things I get most angry at my DH about is that he throws out food on the "expiration date" when it's still actually good food. I keep telling him that food doesn't automatically spoil at 12:01 a.m. on the expiration date.

Most food is NOT going to go bad in one or two days in the fridge. In fact I can't think of anything that will go bad in 2 days, if put in a bag or lidded container.

But I also think that Americans in general are really weird about food storage in that respect. In most countries a lot of things that we obsessively refrigerate are kept on the counter/table. In a lot of European and Asian countries things like eggs, butter, a lot of types of cheeses, and often cream are kept out on the table all day and often overnight .. and it's no big deal.

sockmonkey70
02-23-2008, 05:41 AM
In a lot of European and Asian countries things like eggs, butter, a lot of types of cheeses, and often cream are kept out on the table all day and often overnight .. and it's no big deal.

That's what he says. He said it took him awhile to get used to it, but he hasn't gotten sick yet LOL. He laughed at me while he was home because I wouldn't use eggs that had "expired" a few days prior. He of course ate them, to no ill effect :D. Americans...we're a weird bunch. You wonder how our ancestors survived without modern convenience lol.

Lovely
02-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Hey SockMonkey :) Good to see you around!

Whatever works for you ^^ I used to be jealous of kids who had Lunchables at school. Then I had one... :lol: Sorry, I can't join you on the "that tastes good" train.

It's probably healthier to make your own Lunchable type food ahead of time (and even though they're cheap, you'd still be saving money by not having to buy a capri sun & an airhead, so you might want to give it a try maybe for just one week to see if it works for you) like a few people have mentioned. But, honestly, a TON of people have managed their diets by eating lean cuisines, and smart ones, etc. once a day. As long as you're balancing your calories, bon appetit!

Edit: Looks like you said you don't usually buy those capri sun/air heads ones. You still might be able to save money buying & preparing your own, but as I said above, only you know if it'll be worth it :)

Lovely
02-23-2008, 06:53 AM
Seriously about food - learn to trust yourself here. Your sense of smell and taste will tell you if the food is good or not. Dates on packages are just guidelines at best. One of the things I get most angry at my DH about is that he throws out food on the "expiration date" when it's still actually good food. I keep telling him that food doesn't automatically spoil at 12:01 a.m. on the expiration date.

Most food is NOT going to go bad in one or two days in the fridge. In fact I can't think of anything that will go bad in 2 days, if put in a bag or lidded container.

I'm one of those terrible people who doesn't toss milk out on the expiration date. ;) Heck, the darn carton stays good for about a week after that date, why waste milk?!

After moving out on my own, I've had to rely more on my "see & smell" senses to detect bad food. I don't think I've had any issues with eating bad food so far. Hey, I'm still alive & kickin' ^^

Casandra
02-23-2008, 06:57 AM
I eat lunchables. Well, I used to, back when I called America my home. The British have a product called "lunchable" but compared to the USA ones, they're crap. The meat is so thin, you can see through it, yes, I'm talkin less than a millimeter of meat here! :(

I used to get the lunchables that just had the crackers, meat and cheese. I especially love the "brown bread" crackers. I used to have one of those with a glass of milk or water, or even better yet (for me, at least), a GreatStart frozen Breakfast for lunch. Srambled eggs, 2 sausages/bacon and a hashbrown. I am the queen of mishaps in the kitchen, except when it comes to making fat laden Chicken Parmesan or baking unhealthy cakes...So I used to use frozen dinners like Kid Cuisine as my go to for lunches while I was in school.

I used to love the Chicken Nugget ones, the mac & cheese ones, and most others, except the fish. They all fit into my "diabetic" diet fat and carb wise. My breakfast was usually a fat free yogurt or bowl of low fat cereal, lunch consumed my daily fat intake, then I had small portions of whatever my family had for dinner.

I worked when I was a student! (Btw, I dont think there's anything wrong with having lunchables or "kiddie foods" in one's diet, if you like it, and it works for you, then who cares?) <3

JayEll
02-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Hey! Well, who would have thought that folks would have such strong feelings about a simple snack food question. :lol: :lol3:

Sockmonkey, I have never eaten a Lunchable, so I can't say anything about them. But if you are trying to make a choice between McD's and one of the lower cal Lunchables, I'd say, go with the Lunchable.

It's great to want to eat healthy foods, whole foods, non-pre-packaged foods, and so on. I know that many people think that any kind of packaged food by definition cannot have reasonable nutrition, but that's just an opinion. We are all entitled to our opinions. However, if I personally had to jump through all of the nutrition hoops that some members think are necessary in order to have a healthy weight loss plan, I would still weigh just under 200 pounds.

Speaking just for myself, I am not someone who is going to spend my weekend time packaging homemade foods for the week--not at present. Maybe at some point! I know plenty of 3FC members do, and that is great!

But for those of us who for whatever reason don't follow that option, it's OK for us to make our food plan work however we can, as long as we are getting reasonable nutrition and supporting weight loss. Being obese is a far greater hazard than eating a packaged meal, as long as you read the labels.

Jay

kimmieone
02-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Sockmonkey
They have too much sodium for me, so I pass on them. Plus their ingredient list is a bit long so I don't eat them. However, it's a good idea for someone not worried about sodium, and if it's something that will help someone reach your goals I don't see why not.

ClearBlueWater this is a weight loss sight, people are trying to get healthy and if someone ask a question people are going to respond with what they believe is healthy advice. I'm sure the poster wasn't expecting a list of follow up post saying " yes, I do use them" or "no, I don't use them." I also never seen many fine folks around here with a "holier than thou attitude."

That's the most outrageous thing I've ever read here about our community, and I get hammered quite a bit for saying what I think. Most of us are adults and if someone ask about something we are going to give our honest opinion without the kid gloves, just like you did.

In your defense of the original poster what you said could be considered mean and condescending to members of our community when so many people around here are doing the best they can with their struggles while trying selflessly to help others.

JayEll
02-23-2008, 08:23 AM
I think it's time for everyone to review this Sticky post by Suzanne 3FC:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111599

The gist of it is that unless a poster asks for opinions about whether their plan is healthy, members should not be debating such things or offering gratuitous judgments. Please go read it.

Jay

fiberlover
02-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Mary - if lunchables help you get back and stay on track - Go for it. I know you have been struggling of late.
I used to eat the ones with just the crackers and cheese, think they came with jello or something for the dessert. They were the lower fat lunchables. I even counted them on WW points.
They are portable and if you always have some in your fridge - there is no excuse for going out for fast food. For me, I would have a problem going to Mcdonald's and just getting a small cheeseburger. I can't seem to go in there without the fries ending up on my tray :D
So, lunchables would be better for me.

jellybelly06
02-23-2008, 09:38 AM
To the original poster. I say that if this is what is working for you and keeping your calorie count in check and you are satified with it, then it is right. You have weighed your options and this seems to work best for you right now. If things change with your time, then you may also want change what you are eating.

I also wanted a fast luch! I ate a can of chunky chicken noodle soup every day for a year! Huge amounts of sodium in that!! But it worked for me for a year. Now that my situation has changed and I noticed that I was definately retaining water, I switched to a lunch with a lot less sodium. My point is you have to make best decision for you. And lunchable are working for you right now!

I think the secret to weightloss is to always evaluate your situation and do what is best for your situation. Your doing good! Jelly

Pita09
02-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Hey, if it works for you then go for it. It really is all about the calories in vs. the calories out, right? Of course, the healthier the better, but your young and busy so do what you have to do. I say anything that gets you out of the fast food drive-thru is a HUGE victory towards living a healthier life. ;)

I'm in college and two days a week I have to take my lunch and eat in the car. In my small lunchbox, I put in a bottle of water, an 80 calorie low fat yogurt, a 140 calorie Kashi granola bar, and a 101 calorie string cheese. Good protein and fiber and low in fat. I do admit to occasionally, on the cold days, going over to the convenience store and getting a small cappuccino. I know they are loaded with calories, but after class I go to the gym and I just stay an extra 15 minutes to work off the coffee. :o

missingmyerica
02-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I don't think people are being "holier than thou" when they offer nutrition information. I see morbidly obese people in the hospital EVERY DAY, and I have YET to see a doctor confront a patient about their weight. They put them on high blood pressure meds, diabetic meds, ect.......but NEVER discuss the weight issue, or nutrition. I would rather have someone be honest with me and truly help me, than agree with me for fear of insulting me. Lunchables are not healthy food. They just aren't. Isn't it better to offer alternative suggestions, that would actually be nutritionally beneficial? Maybe it's just me but I would rather people tell it like it is and help me learn how to become healthier. We all know how to be fat and unhealthy right?

midwife
02-23-2008, 12:01 PM
One of the challenges of bulletin boards is that it is difficult to sense emotion behind words.

As for the original question, I look for convenience foods sometimes that fit my calorie parameters. I have not eaten lunchables for that purpose, but I have eaten (brace yourselves!) Chef Boyardee on occasion....the 190 calorie mini ravioli bowls.

Are there more nutritious things out there? Sure. But sometimes my immediate goals are convenience and calorie control and there are many products out there that meet those goals. Easy and preportioned is enough on some days.

Good to see you, Sock!

traci in training
02-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I think a lot of times on this forum people are divided into two groups: those whose main purpose in life is weight loss and those who are trying to lose weight while meeting five hundred other committments as mom, wife, employee, etc. I'm not saying either group is more right or more on track or more focused, just that there is often a dividing line. I know I've been coming here less and posting less because the tone has been so extreme lately. I miss the 100 chicken recipes and the practical solutions to things that don't involve finding a product I've never heard of.

I've never been to a Trader Joe's, never eaten tofu, never tried protein powder. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with any of it, just that I can't relate to those posts. That's okay.

Lunchables might not be the healthiest choice on the planet. They may be high in sodium and perservatives. But what's important here is that someone is trying to find a simple tool to advance her ability to stay on plan. She doesn't want or need a lecture about what would be better. If she had time to make her own lunchables, she'd probably have time to cook something else. What she's saying is they're a better choice than the fast food she's been eating. AND SHE'S RIGHT!

We all need to quit being in such a hurry to save the planet and give each other the support everyone needs. Great job! Better choice! Even better if you're avoiding the candy and sweet beverage that they include. If you have time to pick up some apples or bananas to go with your lunchable, you're going to have a healthy meal.

That's the point, ladies. And in the real world, the better choice and the conscious effort is what's going to make us successful.

traci in training
02-23-2008, 12:50 PM
And there I got up on my soap box and didn't even answer the question!

YES! I eat lunchables. They are road food for us. We spend a lot of weekends driving 5+ hours to our lakehouse and you pass a lot of fast food places in five hours. We put lunchables and fruit and veggies with dip in a cooler and drive right by them. They're sealed up nice so you don't have to worry about the cooler water leaking in and they are portion controlled. Otherwise, I could probably eat the whole box of crackers on that trip!

Sheila53
02-23-2008, 01:19 PM
We all need to quit being in such a hurry to save the planet and give each other the support everyone needs.

I sure hope these two things are not mutually exclusive! I'd have to choose saving the planet over giving support.

Sockmonkey, whatever works for you! If you need convenience food to get you through a short-term situation, then go for it.

mezmerize
02-23-2008, 01:34 PM
IMO - Eveyone one of us has own way of finding or healthy eating plan. We may not all start out at 100 % healthy eating but if we truely want to get there we will in our own way. I'm guilty of eating non healthy foods at the start. I've learn from my mistakes and am still learning. I've cut out many things I use to eat. All hotdogs no matter if they are turkey or not. I just don't find them good. Does it make it wrong for someone else to eat hotdogs. No it's learning process and if this is one thing they need to keep them going then I have no right to say your wrong! You'll find your way so keep trying to find your way! If it's in your plan who am I to say stop!
Keep swimming you'll find your way.

junebug41
02-23-2008, 01:47 PM
I ate them when I was a kid (and my parents let me, which was not often). Actually, I think my DF grabbed one on a road trip once...

I think it's great that you are re-evaluating your plan. While people disagree over whether luncheables are a good option, I think we can ALL agree that staying away from the fast food is generally a good idea (and if I'm wrong there, I don't care because that's how I feel about fast food ;))

Why not try something a little more wholesome? I think it would be better from a nutritional standpoint to even make a ham and cheese sandwich using whole grain bread, low fat cheese and perhaps a little less processed lean meat? throw in some of those pre-packed carrot sticks and maybe some dip, some baked lays and a small apple and you're good to go. While luncheables do contain fewer calories, they also contain tons of nitrates and chemicals (which in my opinion lowers their nutritional value).

I know when we are used to not even getting out of our cars to get a meal it can seem like an undertaking to prep our own food, but I think we can make time for it.

I am a non-chips-and-pasta-eating vegan (LOTS of veggies and fruits and legumes...). It takes me 10-15 minutes to prep my food for the next day. I am a full-time student, I work full time at a demanding job and am planning a wedding. But If I can't take 10-15 minutes out of my day to make my lunches, there's no way I'm fitting into that wedding dress (and I need to re-evaluate my time management as well!).

famograham
02-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Mary :hug: :hug: :hug:

I've never had a lunchable, but I'm glad they're working for you :)

:grouphug:
Linda

traci in training
02-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Sorry - that's probably a local saying that doesn't translate well on this forum. I don't mean save the planet literally. We use it to mean taking everything as seriously as saving the planet. Freaking out over some sodium instead of recognizing the portion control aspect. When someone gets their underwear in a bind over something we say they're off "to save the planet". I sure hope "underwear in a bind" is widely known or my explanation probably won't help!

kikimonster
02-23-2008, 07:27 PM
I never liked lunchables even as a kid. Even though you don't have time to cook, you probably still have time to make a sandwich. That's what happens to me when I come home late from class. It's not exactly the best dinner, but it works!