Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #1  
Winnie's Mommy :-)

S/C/G: 175/183/130

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy I Am Ready To Just Give Up! Please Help!?

I am SO ready to give up. I am a diabetic, and i had a baby 4 months ago! Before i gave birth, i weighed 150lbs, but i am up to 180lbs! Right after my baby was born is was 165lbs, but my weight keeps going up and up! I have cut my portions way down, cut my carbs, sugars and fats way down, and have exercised whenever i get a chance. I keep gaining weight and it is heartbreaking! I HATE the way i look!!!! I went shopping today, and asked my boyfriend his opinion on how i looked in a pair of jeans, and the look on his face made my heart sink in my chest and made me dread ever have eaten ANYTHING in my entire life! My boyfriend used to like the way i look (as did i), but now he acts like i am the ugliest person he knows, and that he wants nothing to do with me! I have zero support, no one to lose weight with, no money to buy any weightloss aid products, and i have a bad bone in my ankle which prevents me from doing too many leg exercises! I have tried slimfast, atkins, and that dumb 5 bite diet.....nothing has helped! I am SO ready to just quit the weightloss game, and gain 100lbs! Yes, if i do, i will hate myself......but hey, i don't love me now. :'-( Will anyone help me? I don't know what i need help with, but i know i need help!
misskrissiemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #2  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

MissKrissieMarie: You need to not be so hard on yourself. There are a number of ways that you can work on weight loss without "aids", fad-diets, etc. There are also lots of ways that you can exercise that don't involve impact because of your ankle.

The first thing I did was start counting calories! I use the SlimFast site since that is the plan I've been on, but lots of people on here use the dailyplate, fitday and a couple others. I log every single thing I put in my mouth...even things I drink, including alcohol! If you log what you're eating you may just find that you're eating well but your portions are much too big, or maybe you're eating food that has all kinds of hidden fat/calories, etc. A food log will help identify this for you. Your doctor should be able to tell you about how many calories you should be eating per day (this will be higher than your typical woman wanting to lose some weight if you're nursing your baby). Also it's important to stay hydrated...like at least 64oz of water per day. Try this for a couple of weeks and see if there could be an issue with the amount or type of food you're eating. Try to concentrate on whole foods like fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains and lean protein. Limit or stop your intake of processed foods, sugary soft-drinks, simple carbs, etc.

As for exercise there are a ton of videos and books that you can try (many of them you can get for free at the library) that are low or no-impact. Pilates and Yoga are both great forms of exercise that won't hurt your ankle. Also, if you have a pool nearby many of them offer aquasize classes which again are limited impact becuase you're submerged.

Don't give up! There are ways to do it...but it all has to start with you! You have to choose something that will work for your lifestyle and something that is sustainable. If you use a quick fix "diet" as opposed to changing your lifestyle long-term you can expect the weight to come back and then some. Talk to you BF, tell him how you're feeling and that you need his support. You can maybe cook together and you'll both feel better, look better and live better as a result of learning how to cook healthfully. I hope you find something that works for you and come back to 3FC often. I have never found a forum that is as supportive as here. I come at least once a day, sometimes to ask questions and sometimes just to read and gain insight.

Feel better soon,
Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #3  

Hi misskrissiemarie,
Has your Dr checked your thyroid, thyroid problems right after having a baby are very common. Another suggestion is put the baby in a stroller and start walking. Start with just a walk around the block a couple of times a day and work your way up to long walks. Both you and the baby will benifit from the fresh air. If the weather isn't good then go and walk around the mall for a while. Also try places like Walmart or Target for exercize dvds, you can usually get them for $10-15. Second hand shops are also a good place to get really cheap dvds or video tapes, usually not used very much.
Good Luck and congrats on your beautiful baby
Bette
Bette k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #4  
Jonatán j'te aime

S/C/G: 210/206/150

Height: 62"

Never give up misskrissiemarie, I have learned that it doesn't help to be impatient. Take baby steps sweety.

Congrats and God bless you and your baby Huggies
mariquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

MissKrissie ~ I think you have been given some great advice here. You just had a baby four months ago; you must eat in a healthy way after having a baby so your body can heal. A nurse said to another new mother: it took you nine months to create that baby, now take at least the same amount of time to get well again. Your diabetes could be causing some of this problem you are having; and you should have yourself checked out.

You definitely should go see your doctor: anyways you should be taking that baby in for a check too, so make a list of your questions and get them looked into at the same time. Don't cut your food too low right now, or your body may fight you; just eat healthy: lean meats, half a plate of veggies, measure the potato, rice, pasta, or beans; eat whole grains and fresh fruit.

Look around this site, you will find lots and lots of ideas here. There is no need to starve. Wrap that baby up really well, and go for a walk every day; maybe even two: one in the morning and one later. Remember ~ walking is free; and you can get dvds and videos for free at your local library.

Write down everything you eat for the next week, and take it with you to your doctor, so he can take a look at it for you. He may want to refer you to a dietician becuz you are diabetic. And, I'm sure your boyfriend still loves you; try to have a talk with him and ask him for his help. Maybe he could go for walks with you and your new baby.

Come back to 3FC's; find a group that you have an interest in, and post often. There is a DIABETIC thread in this 'Dieting with Obstacles' forum. Things will get better; it just takes a little time ...

ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-27-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #6  
Live, Love, Laugh!

S/C/G: 263/255/150

hi -- please don't give up -- it's frustrating, I know, I speak from experience. In fact, I just had to add three pounds back to my ticker from 218 to 221 current weight!

Why?

Because I got frustrated -- working hard, cutting out heavy carbs, and all those things that are considered junk food (that I love but that don't love me back! like burgers, pizza, chocolate)...counting calories, trying to work out at least 3 times a week.

After three weeks of stalled weight loss -- I lost it! I figured "What the hades!"

But I know that if I don't correct my course - - I'm heading back up to 226 and probably more!

On the one week that I took "off," I did 3 pounds of damage...

but you know MissKrissie, it's better to dust ourselves off, get back up, and get back to it --

You can do it -- it's better to stick it out (slapping my own forehead) and practice portion control, count those calories, exercise. Now I know that it is better to know that you're doing what has to be done, even if you don't see the results, because we're going to feel better about ourselves doing what's going to benefit and not hurt us.

As for your BF -- shame on him! How insensitive!

Look into your baby's eyes, and know that you are loved!

best,
b
bruniQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 PM   #7  

Location: I live in far west Texas - and I love that good ol' southern hospitality and good ol' southern food!

S/C/G: 255/227.4/150

Height: 5'7"

You're a new mama - that is such an important thing! Be kind to yourself, and don't give up! You are doing the most improtant job in the world...you're loving and nurturing a new life! Isn't that awesome???
I love the dailyplate.com. It has helped me so much! Just putting it down has cut my temptations down...I can have it...but I gotta log it. Some of the crappy things I used to eat just ain't worth it. Give yourself a big hug and come here for support!
chunkydunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:03 AM   #8  

Well everyone is right! Give your self a break. Talk to your dr but don't forget to enjoy your baby! This age is so much fun. The world is brand new and pure for them. Watching a baby while they puzzle out the world is something I really wish I took more time to do!!
What about joining one of the groups here. I'm sure that there are few diabetic moms around here who would understand and help.
I was 120 when I got pregnant... 160 the second time... 150 the third time but after #3 my thyroid turned off took me years and a friend to figure out I was sick!!
Don't give up and remember to smile... makes people wonder what your up to!
housewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/227.4/160

Default Don't give up

I am so impressed with the people on 3FC! The advice from the heart is soooo good. I advise the same of course. Get a doc's checkup. Get a thyroid check. (I didn't start to lose my weight until I went on Weight Watchers - last month) and changed my thyroid meds to a name brand. Love yourself as your baby loves you and I'm sure your boyfriend does. Just let him know you need his help and support. Men don't automatically know this, they need some nudges. We are here to help each other and keep coming back to get that help You can do it!!! All I can do myself in the way of exercise right now is my recumbent bike and the pool (local pool) Like Nike says---Just do it. Good luck.
Lizabeth2 is offline   Reply With Quote