Old 02-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 314/292/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Where I'm Suppose to be

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I moved this over from the Weight Loss Support, since I go to OA now. What a wonderful website to include OA as a part of weight loss for life...Thanks 3chicks for making this an awsome place for weight loss.

MiddleSister

This is just for me. I have been so depressed lately I just wanted to end it. I told my husband, "I was tired of being fat" I was miserable! This past holiday has just about killed me, with all the food. I was crying and talking to him and told him I was sick of being sick and I stopped sugar and fast foods. On my journey, I ran across OA, Overeaters Annoymous. Boy, this has changed my life. I like the support and spirtual way of loosing my weight.

I have lost 11lbs in 2 weeks, just from staying away from the above. I have never felt better! OMG! what a difference no sugar is. I feel so much better, joints not hurting as bad, blotting in face and belly gone way down. My face is what looks thinner for now. I mediate every morning and read my Bible.
At my first mtg I started crying and finally understood the damage I've done to myself with the depression of overeating. I said "this is where I'm suppose to be" in the mtg and now I believe it more than ever.

I don't miss the sweets or junk food at all. I give my body what it naturally needs meats, fruits, vegetables, grain and dairy, do the portion size and no eating between meals,....well maybe have an apple or banana. And I drink lots of water.

And all of this without exercise. But, I do plan on including that after awhile.

Take Care,

MiddleSister
Old 02-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Welcome! You are so welcome here! You've done a lot of hard work-- great job.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #3  

MiddleSister, Welcome! This is a wonderful program and a great place to receive support for our diesease.

Patd
patd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #4  

I haven't lost anymore weight. I thought once I quit sweets, fast foods I would loose a ton of weight! I thought since I had lost weight w/o working the plan, I'd lose weight anyway just from staying away from sweets and ff. I guess thats not so. Sad

MiddleSister
MiddleSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #5  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleSister View Post
I haven't lost anymore weight. I thought once I quit sweets, fast foods I would loose a ton of weight! I thought since I had lost weight w/o working the plan, I'd lose weight anyway just from staying away from sweets and ff. I guess thats not so. Sad

MiddleSister
Sister, cutting out the sugar and fast foods is a fantastic start. Good for you!

I have no way to know why you haven't lost additional weight. But the large loss in the beginning generally is mostly water weight for most of us. Unfortunately, much as we would like it to, weight loss does not continue at that speed. Also, sometimes our weight just naturally fluctuates from one day to the next. Today it may look like you haven't lost, and tomorrow you may have lost a pound or even two. That's natural. That's also the reason why the experts counsel us not to weigh every day. As you have noticed, it can be discouraging when the scale is not moving in our favor.

DON'T ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE RULED BY YOUR SCALE!!! Remember, the scale is just an inanimate machine - it has no power over you other than what you give it. A far more important measuring device is how you feel inside your body. Do your clothes feel looser? Do you feel that you have more energy? Do you feel good about how you ate today? That's what's important.

Have you considered consulting a dietician for advice on what and how to eat? You may find it helpful in forming your food plan, and it's usually covered by most insurance plans.

Above all, Sister - don't give up. You are on the right track!
Sandypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey there

Losing weight is why we come to OA. What we find is that our weight is only a symptom of what's really going on. How is your program and step work going? What are you learning about WHY you eat? What support have you found in living life on life's terms without using a substance?

Some of us lose weight quickly and some of us lose slowly. Some folks lose fast by just taking out the sugar-- some don't. Everyone is different. Have you taken an honest look at what you may be replacing the sugar with? Perhaps you are eating more of something else. Perhaps your portion sizes are in need of adjustment? When I work with a sponsee, weightloss is not the primary goal. The primary goal is working the steps and abstaining from eating between meals. Once a person adjusts to only eating at meal time, then we begin to look at portion control and possible trigger foods.

This is not an instant weightloss plan. This is a long term (life long) plan of living for folks who are willing to do the work that it takes to be free from the obsession with food.

We don't weigh in at meetings. We don't tell you what to eat and what not to eat. Our primary purpose is not weightloss. Weightloss happens on it's own as a result of working the steps thouroughly. We get to the root of why we eat-- work on that-- and then the symptom (excess weight) is removed.

OA is not easy. It's not for wimps. It's not instant. It's hard work, it hurts, it's scary... but the rewards are beyond compare. I now live a life where I am never alone. I have the support of my OA group and my higher power. I have tools. I have a sponsor. I have this forum. I have literature. I have the steps. I have freedom from food.

It works IF YOU WORK IT.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #7  

Thanks Sandypickle and Marny,

I have to admit I haven't been working the steps, up until yesterday. When I called my sponsor and told her I have decided to start weighting and measuring my food. She was so happy to hear me say that. I am just afraid I won't get enough to eat and I will binge. When my Dad died in 1975 2 weeks before I got married....well, just say part of me died with him. Then started my compulsion with food.
I'm still on Step I. And, like I said before I just decided to start working the plan. I'm still new to all this and I need ppl like you all to tell me and set me straight about OA. I love my sponsor, I now call her everyday with my meal plan. I will stay off the scale. Pray for me. I know God is with me every moment.

Thanks again

MiddleSister

Last edited by MiddleSister; 02-06-2008 at 09:04 AM.
MiddleSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #8  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Yes, Sister - a traumatic event like what you've had in 1975 certainly has the potential to set us on a long downward spiral. I am sorry that happened to you. Sounds to me, though, that you are very much on the right track now. Good for you for choosing a sponsor and working with her. Starting to weigh and measure sounds like a good plan. Good luck!
Sandypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #9  

MiddleSister, So glad you are still here and posting.

Working the steps is my new way to freedom from this diesease, I have to tell myself that on a daily basis. Food has never set me free just put me more down under.

Also remember those no time limit on those steps, take as much time as you need and let your sponsor guide you.

Know that we are all in this together and keep coming back!

hugs
pat d
patd is offline   Reply With Quote