General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #1  
Work it!

S/C/G: 195/193/135

Height: 5'3"

Lightbulb Cars fueled by H2O

Okay, I'm on the fence about this issue. One thing that's got me is the fact that if we all started driving cars fueled by water it'd put tons of moisture back into the atmosphere, right? So, if that were the case, then wouldn't it be raining all the time?! I walk dogs everyday - I don't wanna smell like wet dog ALL THE TIME! lol

What are your thoughts on this new technology?
Jewelieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/Ticker/135

I'm not sure about the rain, but all the moisture in the air would not be good for my hair. LOL!
crbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:04 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

"Fueled By Water" is somewhat misleading. I assume you're talking about Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles, which actually run on hydrogen (though, ideally, that hydrogen would be stored in the form of water in the tank on the car).

In answer to your question, no, more water on the roadways isn't going to make it rain all the time. Water vapor is more significant than greenhouse gases, though, in terms of global warming.

Our cars currently produce water vapor as a side effect of combustion engines, in addition to other things...and currently, the amount of water vapor contributed by all forms of combustion, all over the earth, is about a 10,000th of the evaporation occurring naturally, so it isn't going to make a significant difference...first because the vapor is already being produced with combustion engines, and second because even if we weren't, cars and combustion just don't produce much vapor compared to what the earth does naturally.

The technology won't be marketable for years yet, and most likely, we won't be using water as the fuel source, we'll use compressed hydrogen so we don't have to separate out the H2 from the 02 in the engine...that means entire infrastructure changes before we can actually see the change (because if cars are going to run on hydrogen, you're going to have to build hydrogen stations to replace gas stations, or at least as a part of them as people transition over...no one will buy a car with nowhere to fill it up).

Of course, the major current problem with cars running on hydrogen is that no car can, currently, run directly from water...they all have to run on liquid or compressed hydrogen...and we make that hydrogen by burning coal, which isn't very green anyway.

I've driven a fuel cell car, though, and they are nice. Felt similar to a gas car in ride, not nearly as smooth as all-electrics.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:47 PM   #4  
Work it!

S/C/G: 195/193/135

Interesting, mandalinn! Thanks for the info. Though, this video I found shows this man using just water for this crazy warm to the touch blow torch and even a car - crazy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rb_rDkwGnU
Jewelieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:28 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The technology to separate hydrogen from water has existed for years...it is more a matter of figuring out how to make that technology cost effective enough that it can be sold at the same or about the same price as modern cars. I don't know what his process is, so who knows if it could be mass-marketed. This is why the hydrogen fuel cell test cars all run on hydrogen, rather than starting at water and separating out the hydrogen in the engine...it is not yet a fully reliable, cost-effective technology.

It is years, yet, from being actually available retail. But if he has a process that is reliable, reproduceable, and doesn't rely on expensive materials or labor-intensive creation, it may be possible to have a water-tank car. You'd also want to know about the flammability and explosion risk of HHO...which is not mentioned at all in the video. That is one of the other major hurdles to hydrogen-powered vehicles...Hydrogen was what filled the hindenberg...if we think exploding GAS tanks are bad in a crash...eeesh.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote