Old 01-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #1  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Default Yogurt: why only the plain kind?

I see that only plain, non-fat yogurt is specified as Core, and I wonder why? Why isn't non-fat fruit-flavoured (not fruit on the bottom) yogurt, sweetened with sucralose or aspartame, okay?

By the way, this is my fourth day of Core, and I'm lovin' it!
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #2  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Not sure why except I think some people may regard this as a binge food and go overboard?

I myself being somewhat lactose intolerant don't get much dairy in so I do have the ff/sf yogurt - one of this little 4 oz cups - maybe 4-5 times per week - and I know I just won't go crazy over yogurt!

Frouf
Froufy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:32 PM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

Only the plain FF is Core because it doesn't have added sugar. It's the same reason Cheerios (my favorite) aren't Core. Core doesn't allow anything that I know of that has added sugar. It's also the reason that FF coffee creamer isn't Core.

I guess that's why they give us points because they know that there are some non-Core foods we won't want to live without. I'm into raisins right now and the help me get my oatmeal down. I only eat a teeny tiny box and I count the point.

You can tweak but it might hurt your losses. But believe me, I have tweaked!
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:15 PM   #4  
Changing behaviours

So on Core, does "no added sugar" mean artificial sweetners as well as plain old table sugar?

I feel like such a dunce - and I thought I knew my way around a nutrition label - but I would have thought Cheerios (the plain kind) WERE no sugar added. What should I be looking out for on that label?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #5  
Southside White Sox Fan

No....artificial sweeteners are ok. Yogurt is a bit of an exception as is milk because there are naturally occurring sugars in dairy. Most other items you can look at the label. If it says sugar/fructose etc as an ingredient or if there are sugar grams....then you should avoid it. I always spend the money to buy the WW Complete Food guide. I think the plain Cheerios have 5 grams of sugar in one serving. Something like that.

And BTW, you are NOT a dunce. There are no questions too basic here. We all started new at some point. Ask away. The worst that will happen is that we won't be able to explain "why" even though we have the answer.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #6  
Laura B

I just started core. You said something about FF milk being limited? I couldn't find that in my book. Could you help me?
llbprayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #7  
Southside White Sox Fan

FF milk is not limited. I'm not sure what I said that made you think that but it isn't true.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 PM   #8  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I think it was that "naturally occuring sugars in dairy". It's a little hard to find sugar free cereal. I like puffed wheat, and now when I want to have a little something sweeter, I might add a 1/2 cup of raisin bran or 1/3 cup of total, whatever adds up to one pt. It works for me.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #9  
Southside White Sox Fan

Gotcha! WW has decided that the naturally occurring sugars are ok but not the added ones. I think I was knowing that you would look at the plain FF yogurt and see "sugar" in there and wonder why it was ok but not the fruit flavored. In the plain it is just naturally occurring.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #10  
Changing behaviours

Thanks everyone. I'm on a mission to find Fage yogurt around here (near Toronto, Ontario). I'm guessing Whole Foods will stock it.