Old 01-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #1  
~*JSKA*~

S/C/G: 171/165/125

Height: 5'6"

Arrow Tell me what you think!! (diet menu)

Here is what my *new meal plan consist's of.

Breakfast: Serving sized bowl of cereal
**Morning Snack: Bag of pre-cut apples OR bagel w/ cream cheese
Lunch: Serving sized turkey sandwich using only one slice of bread & Miracle Whip
**Afternoon Snack: Another piece of fruit OR bagel w/ cream cheese
Dinner: Serving sized marinated chicken breast w/ rice and/or veggies

*=This diet, I am trying for 30 days to see how I like it
**=The snacks are only one or the either. I NEVER have both fruit & bagel.
Loseitforgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #2  

Just be careful about those bagels with cream cheese. Not sure what type of bagel or what type of cream cheese, but 1 plain Einstein bagel with cream cheese is about 370 calories.
CookieMonster416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #3  
Wannabe Health Nut!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/128

Height: 5"4

It doesn't sound like that much food to me, personally.. Also, seems a little rigid, which means you could be lacking in nutrients at the end.
LittleMissMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #4  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

To be blunt, my advice would be: FORGET the bagel and cream cheese. They're worthless, empty calories. Worthless!! You're not getting any decent amount of fiber, protein, or nutrients.

Also, if you're having cereal for breakfast, make sure the cereal is high fiber/high protein. Preferably low in sugar and made from whole grains. And make sure the milk is skim or 1%.

Of course everyone is different and has to figure out what works for them. I'm not trying to say you have to *give up* bagels and cream cheese. I just think they're a bad staple item. I wouldn't eat them every day. They're not going to make it easy to lose weight.

As for your snacks...try some peanut butter or almond butter with the apple. It's good to get a mix of fiber and protein when you can. Also, baby carrots with some hummus are a good snack. But of course you have to find something that you really like and enjoy.

Turkey and chicken are great sources of lean protein...Add some good veggies to those meals and I think you'll be good to go.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #5  
Maintainer

Some other things:

Eating the exact same things every day doesn't really make sense. From a nutritional standpoint, you're not going to be getting the nutrients you need. It's important to eat a variety of foods. Doesn't have to be a huge variety, but at least some variety. Also, I think it's important to have a plan for LIFE. And I highly doubt you're going to want to eat the same thing every day, forever. Or even for a month for that matter. It seems punishing and restrictive. And boring.

I really hope I don't sound rude or critical! I'm really just trying to be honest.

If you ever want any meal or snack suggestions, I'd be happy to help. Feel free to PM me any time.

Good luck and also congrats on the weight you've already lost!

Last edited by nineteen; 01-30-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #6  

In my honest opinion, I see tons of carbs and very few fruits and veggies. You don't say what kind of cereal, or milk or bagel, or even turkey you are using. On top of that if you are eating this everyday you will get bored to death and you won't meet your nutritional needs.

What about something like this:

Breakfast: (Serving sized bowl of cereal)a serving of whole grain/low sugar cereal or oatmeal with a half cup berries or tbsp raisins with skim milk or LF/LS yogurt

**Morning Snack: (Bag of pre-cut apples OR bagel w/ cream cheese)an apple, orange,celery sticks or other favorite fruit/veggie, with 1/2 tbsp peanut butter or small serving whole grain crackers OR 1/2 whole grain bagel w small amount of LF cream cheese and a 1/2 serving of fruit/veggies

Lunch: (Serving sized turkey sandwich using only one slice of bread & Miracle Whip)Turkey sandwich on whole grain bread or whole grain pita or low carb/calorie flatout flat bread, 3oz fresh turkey breast topped with romaine or spinach leaves and fresh tomato...use the miracle whip or a nice honey Dijon mustard if needed

**Afternoon Snack: (Another piece of fruit OR bagel w/ cream cheese)see above or switch it up for a container of yogurt and some fruit or an once of LF cheddar with the whole grain crackers or the whole grain bagel

Dinner: (Serving sized marinated chicken breast w/ rice and/or veggies)roasted, grilled or baked chicken breast/turkey breast or fish, half cup whole grain brown rice/pasta/couscous or half a baked sweet potato and two servings steamed veggies

These are of coarse suggestions and I would definately suggest putting these foods into a nutrition calculator(like fitday) to see where the calories and nutrition is being met or where it is lacking. You should probably change up on the things you eat from day to day too because boredom can lead to binging. Most Veggies are fairly low in calories and fat so definately throw lots of them into your diet...they are good for you and help you fill up.
AJJJ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

yup, what they said

What exactly are you going for with this plan? Are you trying to watch portion sizes, count calories, focus on good carbs, limit bad fats...?

I'm not sure what kind of cereal that is, but is it whole grain? And are you having milk with it? I'd suggest something with more protein and fiber--oatmeal is always a popular suggestion, maybe with a couple strips of turkey bacon or an egg.

For snacks, I can never eat fruit by itself--too short-lived in my tummy. As mentioned already, I'd add some nut butter to your apple, or maybe some cheese. And ditto on the bagel--unless it's 100% whole grain and only 1 serving per bagel (yup, many bagels are actually 2-3 servings each).

Your lunch sounds WAY low in calories. Find a good, 100% whole grain bread, and use 2 slices, and pile it up with lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado--all kinds of good stuff.

For dinner, I would certainly say rice AND veggies, never "or." You need veggies for nutrients, and based on this plan, you need the calories in the rice!

Similar to what nineteen said, we're not trying to be over critical or anything, but we want to see you set yourself up for success, not hunger and frustration
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #8  
Wannabe Health Nut!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/128

Height: 5"4

If you aren't big on apples with peanut butter, you could use laughing cow lite - trust me, it's AWESOME. (but with tart apples, fuji is fab.) It's good with pears, too..
LittleMissMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #9  
Maintainer

Agreed...laughing cow cheese is really good.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #10  

Height: 5'5"

yeah a average size bagel and cream cheese could easily be 700 cals and upwards of 20 grams of fat. two of those bad boys in a day would put you over your cal limits! here are my suggestions

Breakfast: Serving sized bowl of cereal (make sure this is a higher fiber, higher protein cereal and preferably has whole grains and not a lot of sugar. Also I'd suggest using nonfat or lowfat milk. In addition you should get some fruit in here! Sliced banana, small handful of raisins, an orange or something)
**Morning Snack: Bag of pre-cut apples (Plus some protein - ie string cheese or 1 tablespoon of peanut butter)
Lunch: Serving sized turkey sandwich using only one slice of bread (if you want try the orowheat light bread at 40 cals a slice and you can have 2) & Miracle Whip. I'd add some veggies here. SOme baby carrots or some sprouts or spinach on the sandwich.
**Afternoon Snack: Another piece of fruit (and protein maybe a string cheese, small amount of almonds or something)
Dinner: Serving sized marinated chicken breast (grilled) w/ (brown) rice and 2 servings of veggies (can substitute fish or soy protein here and can skip rice if you want but definitely do veggies. you can do a stir fry?)

anyways sounds very good ! i dont eat near that well so you can ignore me lol but since you asked...

Last edited by readyfreddy; 01-30-2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: bolding
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

just saw my post was essentially the same as bridget's sorry about that! i got excited and read after. lol.

also agreed to add some yogurt in there for a snack and if you dont like peanut butter the low cow laughing cheeses are awesome!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #12  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I pretty much agree with everyone....but here are my suggestions for a few brands you might consider to make your items better:

Cereal - Kashi Vive - it's tasty - I just had a bowl, lower cal/low fat/HIGH Fiber - 12 grams - almost 1/2 your daily recommended allowance.

If you want the bagels & cream cheese - this is what I do - order bagels from Western Bagel (google for site) they are low cal and high fiber...much better for you! For cream cheese -- I use laughing cow light wedges...yummy!

If you like your apple - add some peanut butter to it (don't go overboard - 2 TBLS is enough!) it will add good protein and help keep you fuller, longer...

Sandwich bread - check out low cal/ high fiber wraps (Flat Out brand are good) or use a high fiber bread (Arnold Bread makes one called "Double Fiber)....only 1 slice is soooo filling! Keep a watch on your lunch meats as well - they are high in sodium - as are cheeses - but if you choose something like "Boars Head Lacey Swiss" it is much better for you than regular old provolone, american, or cheddar Also - I use yellow mustard, not sure if you like it - but better than miracle whip...I believe...

I hope this helps!
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

If you ate the apples in the morning, would you eat the bagel in the afternoon? Or are there some days you'd eat the bagel in the morning and then also another in the afternoon? I'm just asking because if you have 2 bagels in one day AND a bowl of cereal, that's a LOT of bread carbs. Which aren't always the kind you want to have a lot of in your diet if you're trying to lose weight. So, I'd say if you want to have a bagel later in the day, don't have the cereal in the morning. Try eggs or turkey bacon. Just a suggestion.
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #14  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

agreed---- you need WAY more "whole" food nutrition---- stick to whole graints, too.... Non-starchy veggies have WAY more nutrition for you and SOOOOO few calories... Add some lettuce and tomato and onion to your sandwhich---- eat carrot, broccoli, cauliflower cut up w/ dip made from ranch powder and Lite sour cream...

Get as many veggies in there as you can! They FILL you up and so you're less hungry without eating as many calories as you were before.

I definitely think that if you're doing cereal for breakfast and eating bread for lunch, there is NO need for a bagel ANY where else in your day.

Bagels can be VERY bad for you---- you'd be better off switching to a light or whole wheat english muffin with lite cream cheese if you HAVE to have something like that.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #15  
I just need motivation.

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/145

Height: 5ft 7 inches

yes, the bagel and cream cheese scared me as well. If you eat a bagel at all try the mini bagels (thomas) and 1/3 fat cream cheese (fat free is kinda bland)

Also, you should be using a fat free sandwhich spread. not to sure how miracle whip is.

But I agree with everyone else..more fruits and veggies and a bigger variety. You can ALMOST eat ANYTHING you want as long as you watch portion size and try subsituting for a lower fat/caloried version.

(try weight watcher suggestions on food, not a diet but a change of eating habits..not that you have to do the plan. but their suggestions on portions, meal sizes, etc are a great starting point)

Last edited by illbehotoneday; 01-31-2008 at 11:08 AM.
illbehotoneday is offline   Reply With Quote