Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #1  
Goddess

S/C/G: 244.6/212.8/135

Height: 5'1/2"

Default I did it! (kind of)

For about a year my sister and others have been onto me about considering WLS. I have perpetually been overweight, obese even and have done just about every diet in the book. I've been doing research and lurking here and I believe that I want to at least talk to a doctor about WLS.

I called my insurance company today and got the list of things that must be completed before it is deemed medically necessary (they even cover lap band which is what I am most interested in). Tomorrow I am going to see one of my doctors and I am going to show him the list of covered bariatric surgeons in my area and have him pick the best one in his opinion. I was surprised because I live in ATL and there are only 6 covered doctors within 100 miles of where I live. I found that very peculiar.

I do have some fears that I won't qualify for the surgery. Currently I have a BMI of 44 and this is the highest I have ever been. I have been close to 200 (BMI of 40) for a while. If I end up getting results with the nutritionist and don't need the surgery after all I will be thrilled!

I look forward to reading more posts from y'all!
SlimmingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #2  
navywife022506

S/C/G: 238/228/130

Height: 5'5"

Honey, you aren't even that big. I know that you can pull the weight off. You are very beautiful and I think that with a little exercise and a diet and maybe even Alli, you could do it all by yourself. I know that I have had problems before with trying to get my weight off and my doctor put me on Fastin to help pull the weight off and it worked in 3 months. I even kept the weight off without the drug up until I went on the depo shot. I even had a baby and was able to pull the pregnancy fat off without Fastin again. I'd talk to the doctor about a diet pill to help along with diet and exercise. You might be surprised.
navywife022506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Welcome SD!! Whatever you choose to do. We're here to help! Some of us have had the band some bypass and some other procedures we'll do the best we can for you!!
good luck
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #4  
how many monkey butlers?

S/C/G: 161.2ish/160/130

Height: 5'5

Is that you in the avatar? You are very pretty! Just wanted to let you know...

I dont have a lot of insight on this matter, I just wanted to chime in and wish you luck in whatever you chose.
ortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

hey there, slimming! my goodness, you're a TINY PERSON!!!!! just a wee bit over 5'1"! your BMI of 40-44 qualifies you for the surgery. now, it's just a matter of YOU deciding if this is the right thing for you.

one of the main reasons many of us chose the surgery was NOT to lose the weight, but rather to have the BEST CHANCE at keeping it off. we could all go on fasts, WW, low calorie, meds, blah blah blah, and lose weight, but keeping it off is the big deal and the ultimate goal.

soooo, look into it - do your homework. ask LOTS of questions. and then ask more. when your doc goes over the surgeons, let us know who the candidate(s) is or are. maybe one of us knows something.

we're here for ya - WHATEVER you decide.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #6  
Goddess

S/C/G: 244.6/212.8/135

Height: 5'1/2"

Thanks for the support! I know that I am not "that big" but I am big enough. I have the 5 year history of a BMI over 35 that my insurance requires and I have always been big. I have been on a perpetual diet and unless I severly restrict or revert back to bulimia I can't seem to get any weight down. I have had some success on Metformin and am going to continue to take that while qualifying for the surgery.

I talked to my doctor today and he was very happy with my decision. Currently I don't have any weight related health issues and I don't want that to change. I don't want to be scared of getting diabetes and feeling as if I have no control over my overall health. I want to live a long and fruitful life.

I made an appt with a good bariatric surgeon in town. I have also made appts with a psychologist and a nutritionist as well as my gp. I need 3 months of the coodinated effort before my insurance will approve me. In these 3 months I am going to do whatever I can to lose weight. I truly want this to be a last resort. I have been overweight since I was 5 and I am ready to shed these pounds and live a better healthier life. I would target a surgery date of June or July if this is the option that I decide to take.

Currently I am most interested in the lapband procedure since it is the least invasive. However, I am completely open to what my doctor has to say and have been reading numerous forums online to get other peoples opinions.

I will let y'all know how it goes!
SlimmingDown is offline   Reply With Quote