Old 01-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/194.5/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Still Smoking...anyone else?

Hi everyone...so i'm 23 and started smoking when i was like 17. Through all this time i was an athlete, and never really noticed a problem. Captain of the softball team and what not. I've always been active, and i guess it's never really hindered me or that i'm aware of i suppose i might be more aware if i weren't smoking. Ok enough of that LOL. I'm wondering if anyone else is still smoking through their workout regimines, or if you've quit and noticed a differrence, or anything else about the topic. I know that to truly be healthy this is a huge thorn that needs to be plucked....like a serious uni-brow! I'm just afraid to stop for the munching effect if that makes any sense. Kind of wondering if i should wait until i'm more stable in my eating habits and what not.....well let me know what you all think!
Kristine612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'6

Kristine,
I am not the best person to be giving smoking advice b/c I still smoke too. I am 26 and have been smoking since like 15. I fight such a battle with myself b/c I know how unhealty smoking is and that I am slowly killing myself. On the other hand I honestly can't see myself giving them up. Since getting a little older I notice I have more sinus problems that are most likely caused by the smoking. The one good thing is that I do high intensity work outs at a gym 5 times a week and really don't have any problems with shortness of breath. Maybe its because my battles have always been with food and not exercise. Also, my live-in boyfriend smokes which makes me feel that it would be even that more impossible to quit. Do you live with smokers? As for worrying about munching too much when you quit, my mom through many lectures, has informed me that all you have to do is think about something other than food and take a walk. HA! If only it was that easy.
iowa girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 322/320/150

Height: 5'7

Hi first of all....

Ok so this is my take on the smoking/weight lose situation

I know that I have two very big problems: My weight and Smoking, I need to work on them both to be healthy.

When I decided to get serious about getting healthier I looked at both problems and picked one (obviously weight lose) I can only focus on one thing at a time - and have definatly noticed that the weight lose struggle can be very streesful so smoking in some ways helps keep me balanced.

I also fear the munching problem but think that after I have lost a significant amount of weight I will be alot more equiped to take on a few extra pounds if that is the case.

As for the shotness of breath b/c of smoking I have a ton of it but am unsure if it due to weight or smoking or maybe just the combination of the two.
Kristalynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #4  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/130ish

Height: 4'11"

Ok, no I don't smoke any more...but thought I would share my 2 cents! I started smoking when I was like 12 (seriously stupid I know) I smoked continuously all through middle school and high school. I tried quitting off and on, but never really wanted to. I quit smoking for good when I decided to become healthy and exercise. I totally notice a difference. Honestly. I'm not just saying this. I don't get so "short-breathed" anymore. DO IT! Just quit. Only like the first week is the hardest..seriously!!!! If you can get past the first 3 days- you can do it!!!!!!!! I quit cold turkey. No patches, no pills, nada! If you need support- PM ME!!!!!!!!!

BTW: i never had any issues with munching I was dieting at the same time... so there's no reason to much... if you know what I mean?

Last edited by Shorty1985; 01-22-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Shorty1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Here is my take on it, but I have never smoked a single cigarette in my life - do I dunno if you wanna listen to me!

I say do both at once. I would be devastated if I lost 50 pounds - quit smoking and gained back 40 from munching. IMO it would be easier to do both at the same time - it might be harder in the beginning, but you are learning more - learning a life style change, something you can stick to forever. You might lose slower in the beginning but I think that is better then gaining some back after.

I gained 10 pounds over Christmas, and it is REALLY REALLY depressing to lose weight you already lost - I have probably lost the same 10 pounds over and over the past year, it's really hard and makes you want to give up.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Last edited by sotypical; 01-22-2008 at 05:05 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #6  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I dont smoke but Oprah's show today is on quitting smoking. It is pretty interesting.. just wanted to mention
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/194.5/135

Height: 5'5"

Wow...lots of good info..thanks girls. Glad to hear that there are different sides of it. It is stressful to lose weight and sometimes i feel there is nothing to do to ease that besides smoke. Maybe i need to find an alternative stress buster. My boyfriend does smoke, but we dont live together...i actually don't smoke at home. Only in the car and when i'm out and about...go figure that one. We've been trying to quit off, and on together. I'm thinking when we move in together that'll be the end of it, or so i hope. He's been smoking for 10 years, and it's a huge stress buster for him as well as a boredom/habit kinda thing, but his addiction is his own journey, and i have to focus on mine. I thought more about this last night while i was working out, and i've come to the conclusion if i can cut smoking 2 days a week that's like 10 ciggs, and while it's a small amount that's 10 less in my body. I'd like to be more stable in my new lifestyle before i cut them out completely.

Thank you sotypical for commenting eventhough you're a non smoker. I hear you on losing the same pounds over and over, and it is frustrating, but i guess if we didn't gain the pounds to begin with it woudlnt' be a problem LOL. Definately gained some strength from your words.

I guess the shortness of breath has never been a problem for me. So i'm totally with you there Iowa Girl. Let me know how the journey goes for you, and what you decide to do...quitting buddies?

Shorty i love in every blog i've read from you you're just like..just do it...enough...just do it! Someday i hope to have your strength. PS how long have you been smoke free, and what has it been like?

Kristalynne - You're in Cokato...so close. I guess i kind of agree with you on the one thing at a time theory. Way to go on getting healthy. I think the shortness of breath will ease up as you lose.
Kristine612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 403/250/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm 22 and have been smoking since I was 15. I know that its a big deal and I need to quit but I just can't right now, I mean, I eat more when I'm trying to quit so I'm waiting till after I'm secere with my eating habits. I was also very active and it didnt seem to bother me. I work out now and I do it and I'm fine, but maybe it would be easier if I didnt smoke? I don't know. But I pick my battles. If I tried now I'd fail both at quiting and losing weight.
violaholladay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

Hi ladies - I recently quit smoking about 6 months ago. I was a smoker for 5 years and it was one of the best decisions I have made. I am completely paranoid about skincare so what really pushed me was all of the knowledge I had on how damaging it is to your skin and the aging process. I know, you would think it would be my lungs but no it was all about my skin. Anyway, I did quit and the first two weeks are the hardest but once you start breaking those habits about smoking a cigarette after every meal.. after you wake up... with your morning coffee, etc... it gets pretty easy! Yes, quitting smoking is hard but really I think it is mind over matter and I found it easier than I expected after getting past those first two weeks. Trust me, if I can do it you girls can!!
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote