Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-22-2008, 12:24 AM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Default Clothing Exchange...What fun that is!

I went to the surgeon's support group tonight. Which, in stark contrast to the last time I went , was sooooo fun! It was a clothing exchange! I had never been to one.

They had a Q and A session of course, that was great and very informative...we talked about the water issue some more, made some announcements and then let us loose on tables of clothes! I am not one to turn up my nose at free clothes, used or otherwise, so I had a field day! I got several things I really like, my daughter got several things for "me" which she wants to "borrow" until I get into that size. Cute stuff too, I am so getting them back! One of the ladies that is 4 years out came up to me and asked my current size..."26? Ok, your surgery is right around the corner, go and get 24s, 22s and 20s then bring them back at the next exchange...believe me, you'll need 'em!" Good advise! So the pile grew even more!

There were also many mens shirts that were not taken at the end of it so I asked if I could take them to use as paint shirts for the gallery! The lady that brought them was more then happy that I took them that way SHE didn't have to carry them back home!

You should have seen my daughter and I dragging this HUGE plastic bag! We got it to the curb and I had to go fetch the car! hehe My daugher, who stayed with the loot, got in after we loaded this montrosity into the back seat and said "Im glad you showed up...was starting to get paranoid that I would be questioned about this gigantic garbage bag. It looks like it has a body in it...ok 2!

What fun!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 01-22-2008 at 12:32 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

thanks for starting my day off with such a giggle, angela!!!!! and there's MORE you get to look forward to - like flying in an airplane with reasonable comfort - just like everyone else!

i've been in FL on a business trip for the past couple of days, and, although i wish i'd get cracking on the plastic surgery to get rid of all that skin around my middle, i can actually fit into the seat and get the buckle fastened!!! even in the MIDDLE Seat [bleecccc!!!]

leaving for home today -
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

A clothing exchange! Man, what a good idea. I just went to a consignment shop and got me a couple of size sixteen fantasy outfits (No, not skimpy clothes). A pair of GB jeans and two sweat shirts, man I'm sexy!!! LOL! The 18s that I had been keeping for Spring, well, I can wear two of them now and one I can't. So I really don't have any Spring dress-up clothes. Darn it! I'd sure like to know what size for summer. I'm finding all kind of really nice capri outfits fourteens and twelves.

JIffyP: Get cracking on the plastics. Summer is right around the corner! You want to be up and running by then! Ah, Florida and warmth. I should have listened to all of my skinny friends when they said they were cold!!!!

Last edited by nanj; 01-22-2008 at 08:20 AM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

nan, I have always been way too warm! I am actually hoping to lose all these fat brown, heat generating fat pads! Even on one of my "I lost 100 lbs" stints, I ran around in 30 degree weather in a thin blazer and gloves! We were outside with the kids playing in snow, my co-workers were shivering in there down jackets and I was pealing down to a long sleeve cotton pullover! LOL

My luck, I will be a popcyle in Fall come the end of this journey and I will be the one in a down jacket!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 01-22-2008 at 11:43 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Oh overheated one!!

LOL!! I've always been overheated from this polar bear fat pad. I ran around in short sleeves, hardly ever wore a winter coat. Now, OMG, I'm frozen all the time. I just read a article saying that when you get a really bone-chilling cold it is because your dehydrated. Might be some truth in that. I'm sitting here typing with an undershirt and a pair of wool socks, boots and some new fangled long silky spandex long johns under my jeans and long sleeved flannel. If I sit too long and don't move around I have to wear a fleece jacket. If they made fleece underwear, I'd be first in line!!! I have had the worst trouble with my fingers. If they get cold, they turn white to the second knuckle and feel dead. I have to go through a lot to get them warm again and then they turn bright red and burn and hurt. We went to Cracker Barrel last night and my DH finally gave me his coffee cup so I could wrap my hands around them to warm them back up. Only way I can get them warmed up here at the house is, to stick them down my britches, against my belly fat. I didn't think that they would appreciate that at the Cracker Barrel!! LOL!!! TMI

By the way, I had pinto beans and turnip greens. I was wonderful!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

LOL!!!! this started my day well too
I wish My doc had a local support group it's too much of a schlep to get to NY for a 6 oclock meeting.
Angela glad you cleaned up!! My sis has been my clothing fairy! It's rare I don't wear something from the Rory Collection!
I'm always cold!! I need to put my aran sweater on in fact before I'm a Kiercicle
Nancy I get the dead fingers too its some vascular thing called Reynars (not sure on spelling) Syndrome I asked the doc all she said was keep your hands warm.
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #7  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Cold is Cool! I too now wear a long-sleeve turtle neck under my sweaters & then a blanket over me, when I am sitting. This is my reminder of all the work I went through to get to this spot. I LOVE sitting in the sun in the summer though--before I always headed for the shade IF I HAD TO SIT OUTSIDE away from AC.

I considered Goodwill my swap shop. I would trade in (donate) my "too big" clothes and then go in and find replacements at a price I could afford. I always bought clothes that were tight, because I could use them longer that way.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

thats a great idea!
skinnyvanilly2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

Raynaud's syndrome. here's a wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud%27s_phenomenon [and while wikipedia isn't the world's most reliable source of information, it's ok as a starting point]. one of the things that caught my attention is the link between Rayaud's and anorexia. now, i'm not suggesting FOR A SECOND that any of us is anorexic, but once we start losing huge amounts of weight very quickly, do ya think it's possible that our bodies think we're starving ourselves?

i have absolutely no idea, but since every single person [just about] i know who's had the surgery reports this, maybe there's something to it. i don't really mind when my fingers get cold and blue, but it hurts when the warm up!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote