The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing - Answered: Ask a dietitian - courtesy of Extra Gum and the Biggest Loser!

Suzanne 3FC
01-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Great news! The Q/A was such a great opportunity for our members that Molly Gee has agreed to do it again! So please feel free to post more questions, and we'll see her again next week for replies. If all goes well, she will return several more times :carrot: We'll have another drawing the very last week that she's here, with more Biggest Loser prizes to win :)

In case you missed it, here's the link to the last Q/A with Molly Gee http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130594

Here are the details :)

Extra Gum has teamed up with the Biggest Loser TV show, and are offering their spokesperson to 3FC members for several weeks! Molly Gee, RD, has more than 25 years experience in health and nutrition communications and the clinical management of obesity. Ms. Gee is a dynamic leader in the American Dietetic Association (ADA). She is the co-founder and 2004 chair of the ADA’s new Weight Management Dietetics Practice Group, and is on the organization’s Obesity Steering Committee. Ms. Gee will be here to answer your questions about nutrition, weight loss, or even the Biggest Loser!

Here's how it works.. For the next week you can reply to this post with your question. Please only post questions for Ms. Gee, as any other posts or discussions will be deleted. You are welcome to post more than one question. Next week Ms. Gee will return to answer your questions!

This promotion is part of Extra Gum's Reveal a New You and you can learn more about it at http://www.gumisgood.com/extrarevealnewyou/

Thanks for participating, and we're looking forward to your questions!

Molly's responses consist of general advice and information for forum viewers. Her answers should not replace advice from a personal registered dietician or your physician. Always consult your physician before making any major changes to your diet or fitness regimes.

Amberelise
01-16-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm glad we get the chance to as more questions because I have another burning question, Ms. Gee.

A nutritionist spoke at my company last year and was talking about the benefits of shopping the outside walls of a grocery store. However, she did note that shopping for vegetables in the frozen section was a good idea because they are frozen at a fresher point than the "fresh" veggies we find in the produce aisle.

Based on this information, my question is, how would you rank the following vegetables:

"fresh" from the produce aisles
frozen
canned

I find that eating canned veggies are by far the easiest. However, am I getting any of the nutrients at all or just a load of sodium? Are the frozen veggies that are steamed in the microwave still good or do they lose their nutrients in the steaming process?

Thanks so much, I look forward to your reply.

losinitin07
01-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Just wondering what fruits are naturally high in sugar ,I know some one who is diabetic and his doctor told him not to eat grapes,are there other fruits high in sugar.

TatianaHdz
01-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi Ms. Gee! Is it true that green tea can help speed your metabolism? I've been drinking Enviga green tea drink, because I love the way it tastes. It's a good replacement for soda, because it's carbonated water with green tea, so it still has the fizz, but only 5 calories. But I read on the can that drinking 3 of them can help you burn an extra 150 calories! I was wondering if you know anything about this. I only drink 1 each day but may drink a few more if there's any truth in it! :D

dek6
01-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi Ms. Gee. First I would like to say thank you for taking the time to do this another week. My question is about artificial sweeteners. I use them almost every day. I put splenda in my coffee and on my cereal. I use sweet and low in my iced tea. I also drink ALOT of crystal light. There is artificial sweetener in alot of other stuff I eat, such as: yogurt and pudding. Is it ok for me to consume them every day?

Another question I had on the same subject is the consumption of artificial sweeteners in children. I have 12 year old and 6 year old daughters. They both love crystal light, yogurt, and pudding with the artificial sweeteners in them. Is it ok for them to eat it every day or should I limit how much they eat? I don't want to feed them something that could potentially harm them.

Thank you again so much for this.

spidermonkey78
01-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Ms. Gee,

Thank you for answering our questions. I have enjoyed reading all of your responses on the other thread. My question is: How does alcohol and caffeine affect weight loss? I enjoy having a glass of red wine a few times per week and a cup of coffee or tea in the mornings.

Thanks again.

ceegee
01-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi Ms. Gee,

When you hit a weight loss plateau, is it more effective to reduce calories, increase exercise, or do a little of both? Thanks!

MollyGee
01-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks Suzanne! I was so excited to be welcomed by 3FC community and to get so many great questions. I’m going to come back every week to answer a couple more questions and yes, at the end of it all, Suzanne will organize another give-away. While I’ll just be answering a couple questions each week, I’m going to do my best to answer all types of different questions that apply to anyone trying to lose or manage weight.

I won’t be able to get to every person, but I hope that you are able to learn something from me and that you continue to welcome me in your community.

To your health,

Molly Gee, MEd, RD

jiffypop
01-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Wonderful to have you here, Ms Gee!!!

And now from the world of weight loss surgery - most of us get really intense instructions from our docs and dieticians going into the surgery about what to do - and not do - for the first 12-18 months. And after that, we're pretty much on our own. Given the malabsorption that roux en y gives us [or duodenal switch for that matter], any thoughts about what an appropriate balance of carbs/protein/fats might look like?

most of us long-term post-ops are just winging it!!!

LadyZaidi
01-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Welcome back Ms. Gee.

I eat eggs once in a while for my protein, but I've heard many different opinions about how many/how often. What is your advice?

andreaphilip3
01-17-2008, 07:53 PM
do the contestants take steroids or diet pills? they must do more than diet and exercise to lose a lb or more on a daily basis!

Bikini Dreader
01-17-2008, 10:05 PM
What does it mean when you crave sugar? Is your body deficient in something or does it just mean you are addicted to sugar? I crave it quite regularly and particularly after a heavy meal.

Thanks for your help!

baffled111
01-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks for doing this!

I've been wondering about the nutritional value of veggies added to soups and stews. I understand that raw and lightly cooked vegetables have the most nutritional value, but I often throw tons of veggies into my soups, for volume and hopefully for some bonus vitamins and the like. Is there a nutritional value to veggies simmered for hours? Does the good stuff leach into the broth or disappear into the ether?

Thanks!

Erinyes74
01-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi Ms. Gee,

I am hypothyroid. Should I be concerned about my soy intake?

For example, I like protein shakes, but most of them contain lecithin.
And cereals like Kashi Go Lean contain "soy protein concentrate" (whatever that is!).

Will 2-3 daily servings of either of these substances exacerbate my hypothyroidism?

Thank you!

melissa73
01-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi Ms. Gee,

I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer back in 2005 and had two surgeries to remove my thyroid. I now take 200mcg of synthroid every day and I was wondering if this condition could have played a part in my gaining my weight back and/or if it will hinder my weight loss or make it more difficult?

Thank you.

Melissa

FresnoBeeDude
01-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Miss Molly Gee,

First of all, I wanted to say I have been very inspired by TBL. When I saw men heavier then I was running faster on a treadmill, it encouraged me to crank my speed up. Now I can do a comfortable 5mp (can do 7mph for a min). I have lost 275lbs in the past 2 years by diet, exercise, aerobics. I have educated myself in every aspect.

In a thread somewhere here on 3FC someone had asked how do they count the calories of their mothers soup. I realize fast food places have their nutritional info posted on their website, but how do you take in effect the restaurants that don't? Is it ok to bring your own digital scale to measure portions? For instance, I indulge in chocolate mousse at Sizzler, but I have no idea how to add the nutrition into my diary. I like to monitor my calories, carbs, fiber, protein, fat. I try to keep an eye on my sodium as well. Say I buy a tuna salad sandwich from the vending machine at work. All I know is that it is 4oz. No nutrition listed. How do I factor this into my diet?

Next question is fats. I know there are good/bad fats. I believe the RDA is 60g a day. But if you eat almonds, peanut butter (I use a 2.5g Better N Peanut Butter - but name brands can have up to 16g!) those numbers can quickly add up! How much fat is allowable if you thrown in the good stuff?

I have been plateauing since Halloween. I am 36lbs away from my goal. The way I see it, at least I didn't gain anything. When I get to goal, how difficult is it to maintain? Will I continue to have to push myself as hard as I am now at the gym/diet? Or can I take things easier? I heard an Australian winner of TBL (Adro) say that maintaining is easier. BUT, he was only 1 year into it. Any thoughts?

Lastly, I asked my own dietitian (was diagnosed Type 2 diabetes, but I am officially "cured"). My sister recently passed away to pneumonia. I was told that years ago she had the gastro-bypass. For some odd reason she developed diabetes (was it because the lack of food???). I was also told she had a weak immune system. By googling pneumonia I found out those with diabetes are suspectable to getting this. How do all of these tie together?

FresnoBeeDude
01-18-2008, 07:30 AM
I could have edited my own question, but I figured it was so loaded, I'll ask here.

Back to the fats. 1g of fat = 9 calories. I had thrown in 16g of almonds into my smoothie. Not even a handful. My software says that this was 92 calories. For those on counting calories, can we "cheat" and eat a little more if alot of our calories came from the good unsaturated fats? I know a 99c package of blue diamond almonds contains 280 calories

paperclippy
01-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Hello Ms. Gee, thanks for coming to answer our questions! I have two questions.

First is a question about calcium. I am 25 years old (so pre-menopausal), I use hormonal birth control, and I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism so I take Synthroid. How much calcium should I be getting? I usually have skim milk with breakfast, usually a low-fat yogurt cup during the day, and I take a Viactiv calcium supplement (just one) at night. I also eat veggies like broccoli pretty frequently. Is this enough? Or is it too much? I heard a story on the news the other day that said that too much calcium lead to heart problems, but my family has a history of osteoporosis, so I'm pretty concerned about getting the right amount.

Second is a question about Omega-3 fatty acids. I have read that omega-3 fatty acids can reduce inflammation, and in fact a recent magazine article said that sufferers of rheumatoid arthritis who took a fish oil supplement daily felt significant improvement in their joint pain. I have chronic tendinitis and joint pain (possibly related to the hypothyroidism), and I would do anything that would help reduce my inflammation. I know that the best way to get nutrients is from the source, but here in the midwest it's hard to get fresh fish, so I don't manage to eat fish more than once a week. Are fish oil supplements a good option? Do they have any negative effects? Do they have the same calories per gram as fat?

cbmare
01-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Thank you so very much Suzanne and Ms. Gee.

I had a hysterectomy in June '88. They had to go back in and get the rest of it in Dec '94. I was briefly on the patches but went off because I put on weight hand over fist. I finally put my foot down last year and started losing again. It is so slow! Is post menopausal weight harder to lose? I work out doing Walk Away The Pounds 4 or 5 times per week. Times can be from 30 minutes to 1 hour and I do interval training. I've been stalled at my current weight for over a month.

I have diverticulitis and have been in the ER twice over the last 6 years. Does it ever go away? I've increased fiber but sometimes I have incredible pain with it if I go much over 35 grams. I avoid nuts, seeds and corn. I really miss nuts and fresh corn on the cob in September. What can I do besides fattening peanut butter for the nuts? Would it be OK to let myself ever have these things again?

Thank you, again.

One Fluffy Chick
01-19-2008, 02:45 AM
Hello Ms. Gee:
Thanks again for your time. I only have one question this time around.

My current weight is 244lbs at 47% body fat. I have a chart that says I should be in the 21-29% range for body fat because of my age and gender. When I use my old high school math, I calculate that my goal weight should be 156 to 166lbs. Is it really that simple or are there other factors in determining goal weight?

-Sonja

CountryGirl18
01-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Hello Ms. Gee!!

I was wondering if it mattered where your calories came from, or did it only matter if you kept your calories in a certain range to lose weight. Does the quality of food matter?

SoulBliss
01-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Should we ask our questions here from the other thread that weren't answered?

CT Cabo Girl
01-19-2008, 03:58 PM
This is my second time on a Low Carb diet. The first time I stayed at 20 carbs a day and lost about 100lb in 9 months. I loved the diet and my Dr. was very happy with the results. I opened a resteraunt a year ago and I have been off plan sampling and cooking. I have about 50 pounds to lose and I have started LC again. I stay at 5 - 10 carbs a day (20 last time). I am not losing as quickly as last time around and wondering why. Is it because I don't have as much weight to lose? Or can too few carbs stop wight loss?

Thanks for your help!

Casandra
01-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Hello Ms Gee,

I am 19 years old and am coming up on my 4th year being diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic. I have seen nutritionists through my GP, but they never offer me much advice, and I always end up getting stuck in type 2 diabetes classes. I was wondering if there should be a difference in how type 1 and type 2 patients eat. I am coming up empty handed for answers on the Internet so far, and it takes 3 to 6 months to arrange an appointment with a nutritionist here.

I have also noticed that I cannot lose weight as fast as other people, can you explain why?

Also, I notice you recommend chewing sugar free gum to curb appetite after eating and as a replacement for calorie rich snacks. I read an article recently that suggests that having too much "sugar free" in your diet can cause you to become "irregular". There was one example where a college student chewed on average 10 sticks a day of sugar free gum, she lost a load of weight, became severely dehydrated, and had diarrhea and constipation on and off. Is this likely to happen? Or did this article just leave out other factors that may have contributed to the condition? (not getting enough water/calories etc)

Thank you for answering our questions!

zinkemomx2
01-19-2008, 08:03 PM
What dietary supplements would you recommend to someone with Celiac disease?

I have PCOS and have hypothyroidism. I currently take 500mg twice daily of Metformin and 88mg of Levothyroid. It has been recommended I also take 1000mg daily of Evening Primrose oil. Are there are other recommendations you would make?

Goddess Jessica
01-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Topic for Ms. Gee -

Can you break down multi-vitamins? What should I be taking? I love my fish oil supplement but I can't decide how to pick a daily vitamin or calcium. Do they really add anything to my diet?

NemesisClaws
01-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Hello! :)

I have a question regarding toddler's drinks....I currently have my 2 year old nephew living with me and my mother, and we have been trying to fix healthier meals for him. However, we're a bit stumped on what to serve him for drinks. Every juice we see in the stores generally has added sweetners or artificial stuff in it, so can you give some suggestions on what to serve him? Right now, we just have tea, milk, and water, but would like to serve him other healthy drinks. Also, would Kool-Aid do, even with a little bit of sugar?

Iwanawurkit
01-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi Ms. Gee,
Thank you for answering our questions. I just purchased a new scale and it tells me how much I weigh, my BMI and my hydration percentage. I drink water throughout the day but the scales is saying I need more hydration. I do drink coffee but I also drink 6 glasses of water a day too. How can I insure that I am properly hydrated? I don't want to harm my organs and I realize they need to be hydrated to function properly. Will drinking more water insure that I am where I need to be?
Thanks again for answering our questions.

KO
01-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Hi Ms Gee:
Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions! I had gastric bypass in September '06. I'm trying to find the right balance of foods to keep me feeling good and possibly be energetic! Also the right mix of supplements.
Additionally I have cerebral Palsy and fibromyalgia. My WLS doc said that my body burns protein faster than other peoples. What does this mean? and what would be a good range of protein intake?
Thank you again!
Kierie

GrammyRN
01-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Thank you so much for answering our questions, Ms. Gee! I've been wondering about this for awhile: It's been suggested to take a multi every day following WLS (for me LBS coming up within the next few weeks). What if you're also drinking liquid protein with vitamins already in it (like Boost, for example)? There have been some scare stories in the news about "overdoing it" with vitamins - would that be a problem? Thanks!

Beverlyjoy
01-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Miss Gee...thanks so much for answering our questions!

I was wondering how to figure out the right number of calories to follow in my weight loss program. Is there a formula or is it based on exercise - or what. I currently eating between 1400 - 1600 calories a day.

I am at a plateau after losing well. Unfortunately - I've injured myself (foot and back) and have been told by the doctors no weight baring or upper body for a while. I am not quite sure how to approach this.

Thanks so much.

Tonia
01-20-2008, 07:54 PM
My question is on artificial sweeteners. I know some time back there was conflicting information on using sweeteners but can you tell me what the current research says? I add sweet-n-low to my iced tea and that is pretty much it but my concern is really with my 9-year-old daughter. She loves iced tea and will sometimes add three or four packs if I am not watching.

Thank you for your help!

Diva
01-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Okay, seriously, I am trying my best to be really good and have healthy snacks available at ALL times, but I still crave sweets! Why do I crave sweets right after dinner?

SoulBliss
01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
:lol: My daughter always wants a sweet after dinner, no matter how big or small! ;)

vixjean
01-20-2008, 11:10 PM
I HATE HATE HATE Breakfast, the idea of food makes me feel very sick at that time of day. I am aware of the benefits of breakfast, so sometimes I force myself to eat a special k bar, but my question is;

How long after you wake up is breakfast?
Also,
What is the minimum recommended calories for breakfast?

I eat 4.5 to 6 hours after I wake up (lunch)
I can force down a special K bar between 3-4.5 hours after I wake up, would that be considered breakfast?

Tonia
01-21-2008, 10:39 AM
My question is on exercise...or, rather your heart rate during exercise. What should you aim for? I have read conflicting reports. I have not checked my resting heart rate in a while but I think it is in the 60-70 range. Also, should we trust the heart rate monitors on the machines at the gym?

Thank you for your help!

judydc
01-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Wow, we do have a lot of questions! Here's mine: How much soy a day is too much? I'm trying to get most of my proteins from plant-based sources, so I've been eating more beans, and lentils, with some seafood and low-fat dairy, and limiting beef, chicken, pork, etc. to just a few meals a week. I'm cool with soy milk, tofu and edamame, but I've heard that we should limit them to a low level a day. Please advise!

judy

CountingDown
01-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Molly,
While this issue is significantly better now that I have lost 50 lbs., I still have soreness in my knees when I exercise. Are there foods or supplements that I should be considering to help my joints?
Thank you for your time!

tamaralynn
01-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Hi Miss Gee - this is a different kind of question about vitamins. On tuesday I ended up feeling extremely tired, achy and sniffly. I've been reading up on Vitamin C megadoses and decided to give it a try.

Over the last day and a half I've been feeling less achy and my symptoms have seemed to have dissapated quite a bit, but some of my friends are giving me trouble saying too much Vitamin C is bad for you.

I have tried Cold FX with no results. For me, I take approximately 6 grams or 6000 mg per day, usually about 1000 mg every few hours.

What are your views on Vitamin C megadoses in lieu of regular cold medicines etc.?

Utahgirl1982
01-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Ms Gee........I was wondering if there are fat burners that actually work and what are your thoughts on the new pill out Alli? Any info would be great!

MollyGee
01-24-2008, 04:47 PM
I’m so excited to be welcomed into your community. I feel like I know many of you after two short weeks! I hope that you’ve had a great week filled with lots of activity and more energy. Last week, I challenged you to keep a food journal. Congratulations for a major milestone in understanding your food and activity habits. Were you surprised by anything? Did you confirm your suspicions about diet and exercise habits?

Be a lifestyle detective by analyzing your records from last week. Highlight those foods that added “extra” calories during the day or from mindless munching while watching TV at night . If a high-calorie treat does call your name, try substituting with a five-calorie stick of Extra gum for that treat. Figure out the calorie savings and prepare to be amazed.

Next, add up your minutes of physical activity and challenge yourself to increase each day’s minutes by at least 15 minutes. Congratulations to everyone who has their routine established. :carrot:

I wish there were more hours in the day and night so I could answer all of your important questions. The suggestions I do make are based on the limited information that can be provided in a forum. Your physician and healthcare team are responsible for your overall medical nutrition therapy and fitness plan.

Habit management takes time and some experts believe that it takes 21 days to modify habits. The important thing is to keep trying and never give up! There is no easy solution and one size does not fit all. If you need a little incentive and you haven’t signed up yet, enter Extra’s Reveal the New You Sweepstakes at gumisgood(dot)com for your chance to win $5,000 for a new wardrobe, gym equipment or something else that can help you stick to your routine.

Reveal a new you on this journey to a happier, healthier lifestyle.

Till next week, here’s to your health,
Molly Gee, MEd, RD

MollyGee
01-24-2008, 04:58 PM
What does it mean when you crave sugar? Is your body deficient in something or does it just mean you are addicted to sugar? I crave it quite regularly and particularly after a heavy meal.

Thanks for your help!

:lol: My daughter always wants a sweet after dinner, no matter how big or small! ;)

"Okay, seriously, I am trying my best to be really good and have healthy snacks available at ALL times, but I still crave sweets! Why do I crave sweets right after dinner?" Roni

Roni, Soul Bliss, Bikini Dreader and other sweet lovers:
Research has shown that people have an inborn desire for sweet taste. Combine that with some memories of sweets at the end of a meal or as a reward and you can understand why people “crave” sweets.

This intense desire for something sweet can be managed. According to John Foreyt, PhD at Baylor College of Medicine, “cravings typically last ten minutes. Divert your mind by calling someone, listening to music, meditating or exercising.”

Spread your meals and snacks evenly throughout the day. Try to eat every 3-4 hours to maintain a good energy level. If you still want something sweet after dinner, chew a stick of Extra sugarfree gum instead of splurging on a higher-calorie dessert. One stick is only five calories and Extra has ten flavors – so there is something to satisfy any taste. The calorie savings can really add up over time.

Molly Gee, MEd, RD

MollyGee
01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi Ms. Gee,

When you hit a weight loss plateau, is it more effective to reduce calories, increase exercise, or do a little of both? Thanks!

Ceegee, it can certainly be frustrating when despite your best efforts the scale seems to stand still. Weigh yourself only once a week because what you think is a plateau may be just a normal fluctuation in weight. Everyone loses at different rates. It’s important to have reasonable goals and understand that the beginning of a weight loss program will always result in the most pounds lost. Increasing physical activity and also varying your routine may make your metabolism more efficient. But on the other hand, too much activity (more than one hour/day) may not be the best way to improve your metabolism. By the same token, do not cut your calories back so severely that your body might start conserving its energy.

Hang in there and be consistent in controlling your calories and increasing your activity.

Molly Gee, MEd, RD

MollyGee
01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Hello Ms. Gee!!

I was wondering if it mattered where your calories came from, or did it only matter if you kept your calories in a certain range to lose weight. Does the quality of food matter?

Country Girl 18, total calories count, but the quality of foods count too. A balanced deficient diet of at least 1200-1800 calories is a good place to start. The healthy range for proteins (10-35%), carbohydrates (45-65%) and fats (20-35%) have been established by the Institute of Medicine. So, find the eating plan that works for you. Registered dietitians can work out an individualized diet prescription which includes nutrient rich foods that you like!

Molly Gee, MEd, RD

MollyGee
01-24-2008, 05:04 PM
A nutritionist spoke at my company last year and was talking about the benefits of shopping the outside walls of a grocery store. However, she did note that shopping for vegetables in the frozen section was a good idea because they are frozen at a fresher point than the "fresh" veggies we find in the produce aisle.

Based on this information, my question is, how would you rank the following vegetables:

"fresh" from the produce aisles
frozen
canned

I find that eating canned veggies are by far the easiest. However, am I getting any of the nutrients at all or just a load of sodium? Are the frozen veggies that are steamed in the microwave still good or do they lose their nutrients in the steaming process?

Thanks so much, I look forward to your reply.

Thanks for doing this!

I've been wondering about the nutritional value of veggies added to soups and stews. I understand that raw and lightly cooked vegetables have the most nutritional value, but I often throw tons of veggies into my soups, for volume and hopefully for some bonus vitamins and the like. Is there a nutritional value to veggies simmered for hours? Does the good stuff leach into the broth or disappear into the ether?

Thanks!

Amberelise and baffled111, congratulations on concentrating on working more vegetables into your eating plan. My advice is to make it easy for yourself by choosing the most convenient form of vegetables. Food technology has advanced so that nutrients are retained during processing whether it’s canned or frozen. Of course, fresh vegetables are great as long as they do not look tired and sad. Check the labels on the back of canned veggies to find the sodium content, as there are lower sodium options. Retain some important nutrients like vitamins A, B-complex or C by not overcooking your veggies. Steaming and microwaving are better methods to retain more of the nutrients.

Soups are a great way to incorporate the nutrients from “tons” of veggies. Even though some water-soluble vitamins like vitamins B and C may be compromised with cooking at higher temperatures and longer cooking times, some nutrients remain. But remember, it is better to get some nutrients than none at all!

Bon Apetit

Molly Gee, MEd, RD

MollyGee
01-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Just wondering what fruits are naturally high in sugar ,I know some one who is diabetic and his doctor told him not to eat grapes,are there other fruits high in sugar.

Losinitin07, the naturally occurring sugar in most fruit is fructose which is a simple carbohydrate. I do not suggest that my clients with diabetes avoid nutrient rich fruits. It may be a good idea to incorporate fruits as part of a meal if elevated blood sugars are a concern.

MollyGee
01-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Wow, we do have a lot of questions! Here's mine: How much soy a day is too much? I'm trying to get most of my proteins from plant-based sources, so I've been eating more beans, and lentils, with some seafood and low-fat dairy, and limiting beef, chicken, pork, etc. to just a few meals a week. I'm cool with soy milk, tofu and edamame, but I've heard that we should limit them to a low level a day. Please advise!

judy

Judy, you’re doing a great job of moving toward a plant based diet. In 1999, the FDA made a labeling recommendation that at least 25 grams of soy protein daily lowered total and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. However, recent studies conclude that taking soy or isoflavone supplements is unlikely to reduce your risk of heart disease. Yet eating foods that contain soy protein to replace foods high in animal fats may prove beneficial to heart health. The key seems to be limiting the animal protein just like you have been doing. Keep up the good work.

MollyGee
01-24-2008, 05:12 PM
I HATE HATE HATE Breakfast, the idea of food makes me feel very sick at that time of day. I am aware of the benefits of breakfast, so sometimes I force myself to eat a special k bar, but my question is;

How long after you wake up is breakfast?
Also,
What is the minimum recommended calories for breakfast?

I eat 4.5 to 6 hours after I wake up (lunch)
I can force down a special K bar between 3-4.5 hours after I wake up, would that be considered breakfast?

Vixjean, you are right about the documented benefits of breakfast especially as a predictor of long-term weight loss maintenance. The good news is that breakfast can and should include foods you enjoy. Having a balance of nutrients like carbohydrates, protein and some fat will insure the maximum jump start for your day. Aim for approximately 300 calories for breakfast. I can understand that you are not ready to eat the minute you wake up. Try eating 1-2 hours after waking so that “breakfast” doesn’t overlap lunch.

MollyGee
01-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi Miss Gee...thanks so much for answering our questions!

I was wondering how to figure out the right number of calories to follow in my weight loss program. Is there a formula or is it based on exercise - or what. I currently eating between 1400 - 1600 calories a day.

I am at a plateau after losing well. Unfortunately - I've injured myself (foot and back) and have been told by the doctors no weight baring or upper body for a while. I am not quite sure how to approach this.

Thanks so much.

Beverly Joy, it sounds like you are doing great following a 1400-1600 calorie diet. This is the typical range for a good, safe weight loss. Follow your MD’s advice after your injury. Maintaining your weight loss is a great achievement. Focus on the quality of your eating plan to enhance your recovery.

MollyGee
01-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Also, I notice you recommend chewing sugar free gum to curb appetite after eating and as a replacement for calorie rich snacks. I read an article recently that suggests that having too much "sugar free" in your diet can cause you to become "irregular". There was one example where a college student chewed on average 10 sticks a day of sugar free gum, she lost a load of weight, became severely dehydrated, and had diarrhea and constipation on and off. Is this likely to happen? Or did this article just leave out other factors that may have contributed to the condition? (not getting enough water/calories etc)

Thank you for answering our questions!

Casandra, you inquired about “too much sugar free" in your diet causing irregularity. What I believe you are speaking of is sorbitol, a polyol sweetener commonly used in sugar free chewing gums. The key here is moderation - all foods and beverages can be enjoyed when consumed in moderation, and excess consumption of any food is not recommended.

Numerous scientific studies show that people can consume up to 50 grams of sorbitol without experiencing a laxative effect (subject to the individual and other components of his or her diet). To put things into perspective for you, based on scientific studies and FDA labeling requirements, you would have to chew about 40 sticks or more than 100 pellets of gum per day to reach the threshold of excessive consumption of sorbitol. FDA labeling regulations require a laxative statement on foods containing sorbitol if consumption is reasonably expected to exceed this amount. The average consumption rate in the U. S. is one-half stick per day .