Old 01-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 360/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default Any good books?

I love to read especially when im on a diet because it takes up my time and i dont feel like i need to be eating every two seconds. Does anyone have any suggestions of books they read that were good?
krissy1319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #2  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

Hey Krissy! My thinking exactly.. heh I read two books over the weekend to distract myself. Have you read the LOTR books? What genre were you thinking? I read Tuesdays with Morrie yesterday - it's good too.

Last edited by valpal23; 01-14-2008 at 08:52 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/167/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Good book

Love in the Time of Cholera is an AMAZING love story- I read every night before bed and I get so involved in it that I always stay up later than planned!
Loopzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #4  

The LOTR books were excellent i liked them a lot. Any genres are good except for horror lol. But I like authors like jr ward, megan crane, jane green, cara lockwood, and louise rennison. They are mostly chick lits.....but good for a couple of days lol.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:13 PM   #5  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I LOVED Robert A. Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and it's a great book if you want to keep occupied. The first part took me a while to get through because the characters (including the narrator) spoke a strange dialect and I couldn't always tell what they were saying, but by the halfway point I couldn't put it down. I ended up reading all night even though knew I needed to both study and sleep.

I'm also a big fan of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's books. Pratchett writes satire of...um...everything, and Gaiman writes novels, short stories and graphic novels, which sound sort of not worth the trouble, but are as beautiful, weird, serious and dryly funny as his novels and short stories. My favorite book of his is American Gods. Really, though, it depends on your preference. My taste tends to lean towards the science fiction side of things, so my ideas of a good book are colored by that.

Last edited by ImpalaHoarder; 01-14-2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Redundancy
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #6  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

Meg Cabot has some decent chick lit stuff when you're in the mood for the book equivalent of a candy bar.

And if you want to relive your childhood you there's The Dairi Burger (for those who liked Sweet Valley High) and BSC Headquarters (for those who liked Baby Sitters Club).

I can't really recommend any "good" books at the moment. But those are all fun light reads (and the blog authors post what they're doing next so you can read along if you like).
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #7  

Eat, Pray, Love is all the rage now.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #8  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalaHoarder View Post
I'm also a big fan of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's books. Pratchett writes satire of...um...everything, and Gaiman writes novels, short stories and graphic novels, which sound sort of not worth the trouble, but are as beautiful, weird, serious and dryly funny as his novels and short stories. My favorite book of his is American Gods. Really, though, it depends on your preference. My taste tends to lean towards the science fiction side of things, so my ideas of a good book are colored by that.

I actually just got done with American Gods (clearly I’m growing senile in my old age, forgot all about it)! I loved it (although I liked Neverwhere better). Gaiman got a little too Stephen King on me in American Gods with poorly legitimized sex scenes. Not to say I’m prudish but having a character come in just to have sex with Shadow and then have maybe one other line in the whole book... I mean come on, at least pretend she’s a real character! But I wonder if it might not be an editor thing.

I also just finished The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory historical fiction about Henry VIII’s 4th and 5th wife and his 3rd wife’s sister-in-law (who gave testimony against her). I enjoyed it his 5th wife made the book for me.

I also just got done with American Splendor which, is a graphic novel, but totally worth the read.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #9  

All these book suggestions are great girls thnx alot.....im writing them down now....barnes and nobles is going to love me tomorrow....keep them comin thnx!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #10  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

I swear by this book. I love it. I adore it. You. Must. Read. It.

Also, Louise Rennison?! Georgia Nicolson, baby! Good taste you've got. If you want something similar to that kinda thing, and REALLY good still, try:
Feeling Sorry For Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #11  
back on the wagon...again

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

one of my favorite series is by Diana Gabaldon - starts with Outlander - they are long and wonderful, there are 6 out right now. A nurse from 1945 goes back in time and has to marry a scottish warrior to keep her safe from a lunatic English nobleman who is her 1945 husband's ancestor - seriously excellent books
celticqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #12  
Queen Yo-yo

Ahhh!!!! Omigosh, Outlander books are fabulous as well! Kudos on that call! Jamie Fraser is a babe (in my mind!)
Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #13  

Oh the Outlander books sound really good im going to have to pick one up!!!!!And Jelbb i love georgia nicholson!!!!!! one of my favorite series ....how can you not find her hilarious....
Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #14  
Queen Yo-yo

Oh, man, I totally agree. I have every single one-- and the Irish cover version of the newest one since I lived there this summer and I couldn't NOT buy it.

Definitely get "Outlander." Blue book, gold crest on the cover. Really really good.

And seriously consider "Ender's Game" if you want something with a little more thought, and "Feeling Sorry For Celia" if you want a less ZANY version of the Georgia Nicolson books.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 260/209/150

Height: 5'6"

These are some of my favorite books

Both What I Know is True and She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya sisterhood, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Prodigal Summer, White Oleander, Practical Magic, Back Roads. Anything by Elizabeth Berg. I also like Jennifer Weiner's style of writing.
Jessie_777 is offline   Reply With Quote