UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #1  

Red face Gastric Balloon Nightmare

Hi All
I am new to this site and thought I would share my experience with you all - basically as a warning really.
I am not excessively overweight - about 2 stone max, and it might as well be 5!

Three months ago I decided to have a gastric balloon fitted in my tummy. The proceedure was simple but what happened afterwards was, to say the least, a nightmare. Armed with a huge variety of pills I left hospital about two hours afterwards only to feel like I had some sort of "alien" in my tummy. I spent 12 hours fainting, wretching and in agony as my body tried to reject the balloon. i took all the medicines i was suppossed to but my body kept rejecting the balloon. By the morning i was so poorly my husband rushed me back to hospital where I begged them to remove it! They did and three hours later I was at hour asleep. What an experience. I am now much lighter - about £2500 light to be exact. My weight? I am exactly the same!!

A bit of positive news though. About 18 months ago I went for a week at a retreat and it was pure pleasure! All we had was juices but we didn't feel hungry as they kept us occupied all the time. Bliss and I lost half a stone.
I am due to go again next month - just the kick start I need and alot cheaper than surgery!!! I will keep you posted
couchspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #2  
Slow and steady

S/C/G: 229/-/170 ish

Height: 5' 5"

couchspud.

What a horrible experience for you, glad things turned out all right for you though, never mind not losing the weight that time, it'll come off slow but surely if you eat better and exercise.

Enjoy your retreat as well, come back and tell us all about it
BritinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 AM   #3  

Horrible experience for you and a warning to others, perhaps fitting a balloon on someone with only two stone to lose is not really a good idea....

I hope you are feeling better soon x
Moosegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 213/166/137

Height: 5 ft

Oh you poor girl. I thank god you are ok though. Post here reguarly try and get your head in the right place and it will come off no bother.

Michele
micheleherts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #5  

We don't often hear of the downside so it is nice to know that these are not all 'miracle cures' . Glad you liked the retreat. Sounds a better way to go, doesn't it?
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #6  

Ello and welcome. Nightmare indeed, but by posting about it here you may save others from going through the same.

That spa sounds brilliant!
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #7  
Buzzy little bee

S/C/G: 203/174/153

Height: 5ft 6

Poor you...I would love to have stomach surgey but am too scared of complications like that...I will have to keep slogging it out the old fashioned way.

Hope you're feeling better soon X
DeliciousBoo is offline   Reply With Quote