100 lb. Club - Ways to get protein

View Full Version : Ways to get protein

Charbar
01-11-2008, 02:17 PM
I think for me protein is a key to not being hungry and eating all the time. Please list some ways of how you get your protein...

We probably all eat lots of boneless skinless chicken breasts..that's a given :)

What else?

HeatherAngel
01-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Oatmeal, chicken burgers, almonds, salmon -these are my staples :D

famograham
01-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Cottage cheese, lowfat- 100 calories per half cup for the stuff I buy.

Lifeguard
protein shake, tuna, cottage cheese, red meat, chicken breast

These are my main ones (cottage cheese has a surprising amount of protein - but yogurt does not (darn))

Trazey34
heheh where would we all be wihtout the awesome chicken breast?? LOL

My favourite is cottage cheese in the morning for breakie, has made a HUGE impact on my success!

BillBlueEyes
01-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Salmon, whey protein shakes, milk, lentils. soynuts.

Meg
01-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Maybe this little chart will help with some ideas? :) The quantities are for a serving:

Eggs, Cheese, and Dairy

Cheese, light or fat free = 2 oz
Yogurt, low fat and sugar free = 8 oz
Egg whites = 4
Eggbeaters = ½ cup
Cottage cheese, low-fat = ½ cup

Fish

Any fish or shellfish = 4 oz

Meat or Poultry

Skinless chicken or turkey = 3 – 4 oz
Lean beef or pork = 3 – 4 oz
Lean deli meat = 3 - 4 oz

Meat Substitutes

Soy chicken patty = 1
Soy burger = 1
Soy hot dog = 1
Soy cheese = 2 oz
Soy milk = 8 oz
Soy nuts = 1/3 – ½ cup
Tofu = 4 oz

Meg
01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
cottage cheese has a surprising amount of protein - but yogurt does not (darn)

Try nonfat Greek yogurt. My brand (Fage) has 20g of protein in a 1 cup serving, for 120 calories. :)

mandalinn82
01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Yep!

My favorite protein sources:
Nonfat greek yogurt
Egg beaters/egg whites
Protein shakes in tasty flavors made with almond milk (can you say...milkshake?)
Ground turkey breast
Tofu (I don't eat it much, but I love it)

Schmoodle
01-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Surprised nobody (but Bill) has said beans yet! I eat them just about every day. Also eggs, turkey bacon or sausage, Canadian bacon, milk, cheese sticks, cottage, ricotta cheeses, yogurt.

rockinrobin
01-11-2008, 03:14 PM
My favs:

Egg white omlettes
Tuna - great plain and tossed in a salad
Yup - chicken breasts
Salmon
These veggies have the most protein, not tons (about 3gms per serving) but in the amount I eat, it definitely adds up - cauliflower, spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus

fiberlover
01-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Protein powder. You can mix it into a lot of things to boost the protein content. DH even makes what he calls ' power ' muffins, with whole wheat flour and protein powder added.

CountingDown
01-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Many of my favorites have already been listed, but here are two more:
Thomas Light Multi-Grain English Muffins - 5g and 100 cals
Flatout breads - 9g and 90 cals.

missy3gal
01-11-2008, 07:18 PM
My main sources of protein other than the obvious meats:
-nonfat, plain yogurt with DaVinci syrup
-hard boiled eggs
-tofu
-low fat cottage cheese (normally I eat this on a slice of low carb. toast with oregano sprinkled on top)
-EAS advantedge low carb protein shakes as an occasional snack

Beverlyjoy
01-11-2008, 08:04 PM
my favorite proteins: fat free cottage cheese, 2% sharp cheddar american cheese, egg whites, tuna, turkey, turkey sausage ( link, Italian, polish), turkey burger, chicken breast, beans, turkey pastrami, turkey ham, turkey bacon, soy burger (boca), ff sharp shreaded cheddar cheese, salmon, scallops, natural almond & peanut butter, egg whites and that's all I can think of right now..

kimmieone
01-11-2008, 08:16 PM
chicken, fish, beef, pork, turkey, seafood, cheese, eggs, nut butters, milk, etc and I make sure I eat every three hours. I believe in the being full club also. :)

Purplefirefly
01-11-2008, 09:15 PM
My main staple is the chicken breast strips and chunks, already cooked, in the lunch meat aisle. Some have spices, but they all are already cooked and packed with protein (no carbs, very little fat even if flavored. My favorite are the Hormel Natural grilled stripes, and Perdue Short Cuts. I dump them on salads, heat them up make quick quesadillas on the flat out bread with a little 2% cheese...and today had them on baked scooped chips, little shredded cheese, chicken strips, microwaved a few seconds and added some salsa, kinda like chicken nachos and they were yummy. Just so quick, you don't have to cook them yet get all the protein of chicken.

You can use cottage chees in a salad as dressing...I like to mix it with just a bit of ranch to get that flavor, and it is like eating ranch on the salad, yum!

kasmin
01-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Beans rock my world. Especially when I eat them with a high fiber carb (like barley). Lentils in particular are high in protein AND are super easy to make. You don't even need to soak them, just boil them for 15-20 minutes. I put them in salads, stirfries, whatever. A little lentil will go a long way in making you feel full;)

Daimere
01-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Nuts and fish. I don't eat that much chicken. And cold cuts.

FluffyGirl79
01-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Refried beans with melted cheese.......scrambled eggs with melted cheese........cottage cheese......south beach meal replacement bars (YUM!)......protein shakes.......met rx protein plus bars.......tuna........string cheese...pepper jack cheese.......I'm a big cheese fan if you hadn't noticed ;)