General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Post HPV shots and fainting

The purpose of this post is not to pick sides for or against taking the HPV shots. On MSNBC today there is an article about girls fainting after receiving these shots. They are said to be very painful. When my daughter got her third shot she fainted as well. What scared me about this is that I didn't realize she was about to faint so from where I was sitting, when she began to fall off the table, I couldn't get to her in time to keep her from hitting her head on the floor. Thankfully her doctor was in the room and standing closer to her. She caught her and pushed her backwards onto the table and toward the nurse that administered the shot. So....if you plan on either having the shots or having your daughter take the shots, be mindful of this. My daughter is fine, said she dreamed about rock music while she was unconscious. Go figure.

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I had never heard of this until I googled it. See link to article below. I used to give flu shots and had several young girls who told me they regularly fainted with shot or blood draws. I also give the MMR vaccine and it stings quite a bit. Hope this doesn't keep girls from getting the vaccine.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...pGYRwD8TULMF80
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #3  

As an EMT, I am trained, that when I give my patient Nitro to make sure that I am ready for them to faint and to be able to lay them flat ASAP. This being said, I believe that when health care givers learn of this they'll make sure to take precautions. As a mom, the only thing I could think of is when my girls get this shot, I'll have them sit on the table with their feet up so if they faint I'd be able to lay them back quickly. Luckily I work with my primary care giver and she takes me seriously when I suggest something.

I have had shots that have stung horrendously before. Can you say EPPY? That is a thick substance and it can hurt for days after you receive the shot. One thing a nurse taught me was to make sure and do the "chicken dance" after I got the shot in my arm. It helps the medicine move through the muscle quickly and it also keeps the site from flaming up later.
1hothockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:07 AM   #4  
Lose Weight in 2008!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hothockeymom View Post
As an EMT, I am trained, that when I give my patient Nitro to make sure that I am ready for them to faint and to be able to lay them flat ASAP. This being said, I believe that when health care givers learn of this they'll make sure to take precautions. As a mom, the only thing I could think of is when my girls get this shot, I'll have them sit on the table with their feet up so if they faint I'd be able to lay them back quickly. Luckily I work with my primary care giver and she takes me seriously when I suggest something.

I have had shots that have stung horrendously before. Can you say EPPY? That is a thick substance and it can hurt for days after you receive the shot. One thing a nurse taught me was to make sure and do the "chicken dance" after I got the shot in my arm. It helps the medicine move through the muscle quickly and it also keeps the site from flaming up later.
I'm an EMT too.

And to the original poster...I'd rather faint for a bit and be protected from HPV in the long run. But that's just me.

I'm 31 and haven't had the injections. Anyone know if I'm too old to have them now?
BabyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #5  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyNicole View Post

I'm 31 and haven't had the injections. Anyone know if I'm too old to have them now?
Yeah, you have to be under 27. Or practically a virgin, according to my gyno. I just missed it, and I'm in a high risk group for cervical cancer, so the injection can potentially save my uterus.

My younger sister that the set of shots and she was fine.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #6  
Lose Weight in 2008!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archy View Post
Yeah, you have to be under 27. Or practically a virgin, according to my gyno. I just missed it, and I'm in a high risk group for cervical cancer, so the injection can potentially save my uterus.

My younger sister that the set of shots and she was fine.
Oh DARN!!!!! Thanks for the info!
BabyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Yup, you have to be under 27 (not sure about the "practically a virgin" part--never heard that). I'm 25, and I just had my third shot in the HPV vaccine series last month. I was fine. That last one did sting the most, but I wouldn't say it was any worse than a tetanus shot. And I HATE needles--I get all anxious and have to look away and my heart rate goes up, but I have never fainted.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I am all for the HPV shots and am glad my daughter has finished the series. At my daughter's doctor typically a nurse gives the shots and the doc isn't even in the room, but the girl was so animated and in such high spirits the doc came back in to continue chatting with her while she got her shots and therefore saw what was happening before her forehead hit the floor. I called the doc office to let them know about the article and the correlation between the shot and fainting so they'll be better prepared for other patients.

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #9  

My 13 yr old daughter had her last shot in October and never had any problems with them. It seems like she may have complained some about pain, but she would complain about it just because of the needle!
ThinWithin225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Archy, just noticed the US address, are you back on US soil. and are you here for good? Keep us posted, you lead such an interesting life. I always enjoy your posts.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote