Exercise! - Stair stepper vs. Elliptical

View Full Version : Stair stepper vs. Elliptical

knitsforfive
01-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Can anyone explain why the stepper is so much more difficult than the elliptical? They seem similar in theory, but I think the stepper is harder.

Any ideas?

wish4fit
01-04-2008, 01:00 AM
I don't think this is a complete answer...but the elliptical is better for your joints, especially the knees. I get knee pain with the stepper, but am fine on the eliptical. I'm sure there is more that that, but that's why I prefer the elliptical :-).

Scenestealer
01-04-2008, 01:00 AM
I think it's similar to the difference between an elliptical and a treadmill. On the elliptical, you build up momentum: you'll notice that when you stop trying, your legs still do a few spins around. Also, on both the stairstepper and the treadmill, you have to pick your own feet up, whereas on the elliptical, the weight of your other foot does it for you.

tomandkara
01-04-2008, 02:54 AM
You use more muscles on the elliptical so they don't get tired as fast as those poor quads on the stair stepper, which take the brunt of the workout.

Kara

manchuntd88
01-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Its definitely the momentum on an elliptical that makes the exercise easier. Many people enjoy the elliptical because its more fun or they have knee problems but I say stick with the treadmill or stair stepper (my personal fav is the perpetual staircase) to get more bang for your buck in your workout.

Nori71
01-04-2008, 02:46 PM
my personal fav is the perpetual staircaseK.I.L.L.E.R. workout!! I don't do it often yet, but WOW when I do, it's crazy how intense it is after 10 minutes or so.

knitsforfive
01-04-2008, 02:52 PM
All very insightful responses. Thanks!

I agree about the perpetual stairs -- I love them AND they give a great work-out!!!

janiswings
05-20-2009, 12:45 AM
Is why they ask your weight? does it change the tension? is it to formulate the calories burned? what?:carrot:

Water25
05-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I have yet to try the perpetual stairs.

I am going to guess you don't use a high resistance on the elliptical and that is why it is easier. I use a high resistance and there is NO momentum. Which is why I find the stair stepper easier.

Mrs Snark
05-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Is why they ask your weight? does it change the tension? is it to formulate the calories burned? what?:carrot:

Usually it is to do their calculation of calories burned.

Wolf Goddess
05-20-2009, 11:49 PM
My knees start to pop ominously after about five minutes on a stepper, so I avoid them like a plague.