Old 01-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5

Default exercising after a sprain

Hi Ladies,
Just over one week ago I sprained my ankle (doing something I won't go into details) I'm not quite sure how long it takes for a sprain to heal, I've read from two to six weeks. Just wondering when it might be safe to start exercising again and what type to start with. I was just starting to get into it again with step workouts and stuff but I guess that probably isn't the place to start.

Help!
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/219.5/150

Height: 5'5

I sprained my ankle in October and just went through this.

I was told to wait AT LEAST 3 weeks before putting full weight and avoid anything high impact (like steps, or running) for a week more. I am heavier than you are and it was a particularly bad sprain and I waited a day before I got medical attention or real crutches all of which may have colored my doctors advice but be careful. You force a sprain enough and you can break your ankle.

I would check with a doctor or other health professional if at all possible before working out if not I would definitely avoid high impact stuff for at least a month. If you want to do something that's easier on your ankle and you have access to a pool swimming is great cardio.
House_of_Mirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

What grade is your sprain? That will be a good indicator as to how long it will take for it to heal.

I feel your pain. I had a grade 3 sprain from playing volleyball last march. I was on crutches for six weeks. I only started running pain free in October. Swimming was the best suggestion I can give you. I couldn't walk for anything on my ankle the first two months so I don't think there really is all that much option. Just let yourself heal.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:00 AM   #4  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Getting your doctor's advice would be a good thing. I've only had very light sprains throughout my life, but even these kept me out of P.E. classes for a good two weeks or so. Impact activities are a no-no anyway. Swimming seems appropriate. And if you lift weights, you could focus on the upper body for a couple of weeks, this way you would still be training and not undoing all the hard work?
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Get to the doctor!

I sprained my ankle badly in March 2006 (I stepped off a curb and fell down... riiiidiculous!) and it took me a week of crutches, then 6 weeks of physio and a lot of babying it before I was even walking without pain. I wasn't cleared for running or other high-impact activity for over 4 months, if I remember right.

You really want to let it heal fully - you'll think you're okay, and try to do something more than you are cleared for, and the pain will come RIGHT back.
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote