Old 01-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #1  
supergilr678

S/C/G: 195/195/140

Height: 5'5

Default I'm new and looking for all the help and support I can get!

Hi everyone. I'm from the Midwest and have tried dieting in the past. Last January - May I lost around 20 pounds and was feeling great. But over the summer I got off track and have literally gained all 20 pounds back in the last six months! Now it is January again and I'm ready to start.

I'm getting married in June and then heading for a honeymoon in Mexico. I'm very anxious and nervous about losing weight in the next 5-6 months. I am up for a challenge and hope I can stay on track. Thinking about being able to feel confident in a bathing suit on my honeymoon is what is keeping me motivated!!

I am excited to see where the next months will take me.

I am at around 195 lbs right now. I would like get down to around 140 lbs. I realize this goal may not be achieved by my wedding, so I would like to set "mini goals" along the way. Any suggestions on what weight goals I should set for myself each month? What is a realistic weight loss goal per month? I would like to be able to push myself each month, but not worry about setting myself up for constant disappointment either.

Thanks everyone!
supergirl678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #2  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

Good for you for making this a priority. I dont know about how many pounds are possible. I think they say a pound or two per week is healthy?

What is your plan to lose the weight? Are you weight training? I've always wanted to get a personal trainer, they work wonders! I can't afford one though so I usually just make a plan for myself from websites, magazines, etc. I write it all out - I like to make charts and logs. That way you can see your progress. One other thing I do is take pictures of myself in my bathingsuit every 2 weeks to see the results. Or just measure myself.

I agree that you dont want to expect too much and get discouraged. I set weight goals but also set other goals like: take the stairs once per day, go to the gym 3 times per week, etc. And have rewards for reaching certain goals. That way, your "success" isn't completely dependent on a number that you ahve some control over but not as much as we might want. Sometimes the numbers just dont agree with all the work you do and you should be proud of the effort too- as long as you are actually trying hard. That's what I think anyway.

Good luck with your plan and I'm sure you will feel great at your wedding!
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #3  

Welcome! I agree with Bikini Dreader that minigoals that are not weight related are a good idea. I think that a lot of the time if your goals are actually doing something it is easier to work toward than just losing X pounds. For me, if I don't see movement on the scale and I'm just focusing on pounds, I get really discouraged easily. But if my goal is walk for 30 minutes or something three times a week, I can see progress without needing the scale to move.

I wish you the best of luck.
lawchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #4  
Proud Mom of 6

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'2"

Welcome supergirl,

Congrats on getting married - that is so exciting.

Everyone loses weight differently so just come up with some goals that will work for you. They say a 1-2 lb loss a week is healthy so maybe shoot for 5-10 lbs the first month. There are all kinds of fun exercise threads around that can help keep you motivated too.

Good luck and you will be bikini ready in no time.
lovinlifex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #5  
supergilr678

Thanks everyone; great ideas. I agree that doing little things like taking the stairs and parking far away from the store in a parking lot are little ways that can add up.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

Welcome supergirl. You and I have a few things in common. I am also from the midwest and I, too, am getting married this year. I'm getting married on May 30th in Hawaii. I, too, want to look good in a swimsuit by then.

So, we will just have to buddy up on our quest to looking hot for our honeymoon. I think a bikini will be my gift to my future husband. I have to get the body for it first, though.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #8  
supergilr678

That's great we're kind of in the same situation. I like how you said your bikini would be your gift to your husband. I feel the same way.

Congrats on your wedding as well. I'll be getting married the weekend after you. I see your in Chicago; I'm in Springfield, IL right now finishing up school.

I bought a scale the other day that weights down to the tenths. It is nice to be able to see my progress even if it is only .2 lbs! Keeps me going.

Keep in touch and let me know how your progress is going. Yes, we can be honeymoon buddies
Old 01-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #9  

Height: 5'9"

Congrats to you, too, on your wedding. I actually grew up in Southern Illinois in a little town just north of Carbondale. So, I have experienced both ends of the state but never the Springfield area. I just drive through it on 55 when I'm heading to St. Louis to visit my sister or best friend.

Keep posting here at the board and join our weekly chat. It's great motiviation for the weight loss.

Also, there is The Biggest Loser challenge over on the exercise board. I strongly recommend it, but the deadline is either today or tomorrow.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Congrats on your impending marriage! Your honeymoon sounds very exciting, I can see why you'd want to use that as motivation!! Welcome to the site
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #11  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Wow, Illinois reunion. I work in Urbana (although I'm a California girl through and through).

Anyway, congrats on both your and Amberelise's wedding. I just got married too in November.

I also wanted to lose weight for my wedding, plus my honeymoon was in Cuzco, Peru so I wanted to be able to hike around at 11,000 + feet without and oxygen tank attached to me.

Something that worked for me was making mini challenges. Like, 10 days of eating 5 servings of veggies. Or, do the Couch to 5k program from coolrunnings.com. Stuff like that. At the end, I would reward myself with something not food related. Just doing that stuff gave me some better eating/exercising habits.

Plus, eating clean makes your skin, hair, and nails look great. I was worried because I got married at the beach, and it was hot so I didn't want to be caked in make-up. In the end, I didn't even have to wear foundation because my skin looked so good. Got the pictures to prove it!

This is a great step you're taking, keep us updated!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote