WW Clubs and Groups - Starting WW in 2008

View Full Version : Starting WW in 2008

Luvz2Teach
12-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Is anyone starting or restarting WW in 2008? Wanna track together?

I'll be starting WW this Thursday for the first time. I'm nervous about it, because consistency has been a problem for me in other diet attempts. I really don't want to get started and find myself on the down-swing by February. The whole concept of going to a meeting isn't really my thing, but I'm willing to try whatever I need to be successful this time. WW has been recommended to me by virtually everyone I have come in contact with for the last 2 months, including my doctor, so I'm going to take that as a really big HINT and go for it.

Anybody game?

Let's track together... I could certainly use the encouragement and accountability and provide the same for you.

See you in a thinner New Year!

suzanne
12-29-2007, 06:21 PM
I used to go to WW meetings but now I just follow the plan loosely. I track points on most days and in the summer when I'm exercising the most I do Core so I can eat more volume. I know I need to follow the plan to the letter as I have lost only a few pounds in the last 6 months. BUT I have never felt better (way better than years ago when I was thin) and rarely crave junky food and I have tons of energy. I know the exercise and the WW plan are the key. Our local WW meeting is the same night and time as my yoga class so I won't be going back to the meetings but I'm going to try to follow the plan better at home and use the WW website. So while I don't think I'm the tracking buddy you're looking for I wanted you to know that there are folks on the site familiar with WW and who believe it's a great tool for a healthy lifestyle. I think there might even be a forum here dedicated to WW people??? Good luck and hope you enjoy WW.

Luvz2Teach
12-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks for responding Suzanne! Initially I was going to try WW Online from home, but I had to be real with myself and admit that was a cop-out. I know I need the interaction, especially in the beginning. Best of luck on your journey!

kelijpa
12-29-2007, 11:12 PM
There are multiple WW forums here. If you look in WW clubs and groups there's a group called Thursday chatters you might like to look into.

Meetings can be great, I'm nervous at first when I start with a new group or on a new night, but that goes away and it becomes a great group of friends who are going through the same things you are. I go on Tuesdays, I was in an @work program on Thursdays, but our leader is semi-retiring and they didn't have anyone to replace her, :(

Anyway, enjoy your meetings, some people will be an inspiration to you and you will be an inspiration to others, that's what makes it work.

Your comment about losing your resolve in Feb. reminded me of what kept me going last year. I read about writing your resolution on the calendar and it would be out there reminding you, my birthday is in Nov. so I wrote my goal out there and sure enough after a month or so I was feeling like quitting, but having that on the calendar and knowing when Nov. came I was going to have to face it got me kick started again.

I have my calendar in our spare room where I do my hair in the morning. I write my weight on it, if I walked the day before and sometimes, if there's something out of the ordinary I want to keep track of, I'll write it on there, like pizza or wings :D then I can look back over the month and see how I did overall. It worked well for me, I got a calendar at the dollar store and put a goal on it for Nov. again.

Best of luck, will keep an eye out for you. :) Happy New Year!

pam9210
12-31-2007, 09:08 AM
I have done Weight Watchers before and it really works. I am going back this Wednesday. Would love to have a weight loss partner/partners. I have about 70 pounds to lose and am very excited to get started. I want to lose weight to look better of course but I really feel awful and just want to feel better. I have heard that they have made some changes to the program so I can't wait to see what they are.

Pam

purplecrush
01-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Im starting WW again tomorrow. Id love to have a buddy to go down this long road together. Ive also done WW before and its been very successful, I just get lazy...I really gotta stop doing that. I know it works, so now Im back..ready to lose for good. If you wanna buddy up, just let me know :)

clarelou
01-03-2008, 01:34 PM
hi there
i started weightwatchers on wednesday. im at my heaviest ever :( iv got down to a healthy weight before so am determined to do it again. goodluck to everone starting :)
id be happy to be fellow tracking buddies :)

Luvz2Teach
01-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Helloooooooooooooooo everyone!!

Today was the big day... I went to my first WW meeting tonight. I was going to go to the meeting closest to my house but I changed my mind at the last minute and opted for the location that had the most meeting times. I'm glad I made that decision. I loved the environment when I walked in. It was alot of people there, but it was also right after work, so I knew that there would be a crowd.

The leader was quirky in a perky sorta way and she seemed really nice. I joined officially tonight and had my first weigh in. I'm actually 3lbs lighter than I thought! Man was I thrilled to find that out. OMG... imagine losing 3lbs over the holidays?!! That was really a great way to start this journey because now I'm motivated to keep losing. Hey... if I can lose 3lbs not doing a thing, what might happen with some effort, right?

My weigh-ins will be on Saturday, starting next week. I'm going to do the Flex Plan and I'll be tracking 35 points. Here's how I did today...

Points used: 26.5
Remaining: 8.5
AP's: None

Not sure how I'm going to use those other points. I'm honestly not hungry, though I could indulge in a piece of chocolate since TOM is here for a visit. We'll see....

How are all of you doing?

Michiemish
01-04-2008, 12:37 AM
I am going to start over again. :carrot: I need to think differently this time and actually talk to people. My fiance will be gone for 3 weeks starting sunday and I think that would be a good time to start. He just doesn't understand what type of support is good for me.

I would like to have a buddy to help me along. Purplecrush i will be you buddy is you still want one.

SummersGirl
01-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Hey this is great, a whole bunch of people who are starting WW. I'm on day 4. It's going okay, but I'm wondering if that's only because I've been sick and have no appetite. I guess time will tell. I hope you don't mind me joining this group.
Thanks,
Diana

katierakel
01-04-2008, 06:19 PM
I (re)started WW this week as well. I'm not going to meetings though (this is my third time on the program).

Let's see...I get 22pts a day and so far I'm at 7 as of 3pm my time. I had a nice low point salad for lunch with just chopped chicken breast as points. Love the free dressings :) I had a 2 point oatmeal this morning. What do you guys eat for breakfast?

Morning snack was carrots and afternoon snack was 1 dill pickle.

pam9210
01-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Ok. I went on Wednesday and started on Thursday. I had one of those Progresso soups today for lunch. It was pretty good. I got up both today and yesterday and exercised. Now this has always been my problem... the weekend. I have always been able to stay within my points until the weekend. We were invited to go out tomorrow night but I said no. I am not ready to go out to eat. I have never been able to make the better choice while at a restaurant. We typically eat out Friday, Saturday and Sunday so this will be a bit of a challange for my family.

Pam

Luvz2Teach
01-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Helloooooo everyone!

Boy... what a long day! Whew... I've never been so glad to see those yellow buses pull out of that parking lot. I love my kiddies but I was ready to go home. Hope all of you have had a great day.

Pam: I am anticipating the interesting things the weekend can bring as far as my eating is concerned. I think that's going to make my Saturday meetings very beneficial. Hopefully it will help me stay focused.

Katie: Why did you decide not to go to meetings? Also... what "free dressings"? Share girl!! Tell us all about those! :)

Summer: Welcome to the group!! I technically started on 12/31 but my first meeting was officially yesterday. Hope you feel better soon!

Michie: Jump on in and get started! That 3 weeks might be good for you so that you can get into a bit of a routine with the plan. We're here for you. :)

Clare & Purple: Hope you guys are doing well so far. I'm certainly looking for buddies. I need them all over the place so that I can make a go at this WW thing. So far so good....

Alrighty... gotta run some errands. If I'm not back tonight, I'll check in with you all tomorrow. Sleep well!

Oh yeah.... today's results as of now:
Points Used: 32.5
Remaining: 2.5
Activity Points: 1 (I walked during recess... yay!!)

Bloomer
01-04-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm in. I restarted December 27th, doing WW online, and have a very easy first week -- for the first time in about 20 years, I'm actually having a second week :) That's also going well.

I switched my account to monthly and will go to a meeting tomorrow. I want the reliable WW scale and the materials. Glad to meet everyone -- I think it's great to have a starters/restarts group.

kelijpa
01-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Pam, I admire your resolve and wisdom not going out when you know you're not ready. We go out on Thursdays to eat quite often, but skipped this week because we restarted our fitness program. I didn't think of it as an NSV (non-scale victory) until I read your post.

What type of restaurants do you go to? If they're franchises you can probably find nutrional information online and try to make some choices before you're even there. There's also a website called calorieking http://www.calorieking.com/ that has alot of nutrional info for restaurants.

We almost always eat at a certain McDonald's on the way to our land, I printed out the list of nutrional info from McD's and then figured out the points for a bunch of the stuff and wrote it on the list, so now I can make a better decision, or at least know what I used when I make a not so good decision.

I usually try and go with some kind of salad, even if it ends up being more points than you think at least you're getting veggies. Order with dressing on the side, no cheese, or just remove cheese or croutons, there's nothing wrong with eating the way you want to. I often take the onions off a salad if I don't like them, I just do the same now with the croutons.

Michiemish
01-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Afternoon or Night everyone..

Welcome Summersgirl..

pam9210
01-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Keli,

We like to go to Chilis, Outback really anywhere that serves food. I have alot of running to do today. I just asked my husband if he wants to go to Subway for lunch. I know I can go there and pick something good for me. My problem is not going to a restaurant and having a hard time picking something off of the menu. I know what the right thing is. I just go and have a hard time saying "salad dressing on the side" I mean to say that but the words "salad extra dressing" comes out. I love salads I just love the ones with all the stuff you shouldn't have on them.
I know that it has only been 2 days but I really feel better. I am going to go exercise to get my day started.

Have a great day everyone!

Pam

Luvz2Teach
01-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Hey everyone.... hope your day has been great so far. I had to jump online and share my joy with you. Remember how worried I was about weekend eating, right?

Well..... I decided to have breakfast this morning with my kids. We usually do a larger breakfast since we don't get to eat really good breakfasts during the week. I think I waited longer than I should have this morning simply out of fear... lol I modified my meal, but enjoyed a high point breakfast this morning. It was about 13 points total. I know.... not so good. The good part is that I was satisfied and full and that kept me out of the kitchen the rest of the day. :D By the time I realized that I was hungry, it was time to start cooking dinner. Now, here is where it gets good....

I decided to make Chicken Cacciatore. I served it with spaghetti and a little parm on top. Corn on the cob on the side. It was good and since I had only used 15 points all day long, I allowed myself to have seconds. I went upstairs to enter the recipe into the tracker on WW online to see just how many points that was and wouldn't you know that 1 serving of my recipe was only 3 points? I was so shocked yet very happy to know that I could modify one of my favorites and enjoy it! :carrot: If anyone wants the recipe, I'll be glad to share it. My kids thought it was wonderful, plus it made a total of 8 servings which was enough for all of us to thoroughly enjoy it and leave a little for lunch on Monday. Now I'm stuffed and I still have to use 14 points today... smh... I love WW!

How are all of you surviving the weekend?

alanadoodle
01-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Hi gals! I'd love to join you! I started the WW trial last week to just see how it went but I'm going at it for real now! I really would like to lose 35-45 pounds overall, but I know it will take time.

I currently get 38 points a day, but that is because I'm breastfeeding--gotta love those extra points for that! I seem to have a problem staying under that, so obviously I am eating too many points at each meal. I'm going to try to work on that this week and I'll probably have to stop eating my yummy cereal each day and try egg whites or oatmeal.

Once I start bf-ing I know it will be easier to lose more weight, so I'll be on the slow track for now!

Whoever mentioned going to a restaurant and always making bad choices even when you know what the good ones are--that is so ME! Luckily now that I have a baby, we don't go to restaurants as much as we used to!

Luvz2Teach
01-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Alana... welcome, welcome, welcome!!!!

alanadoodle
01-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Thank you, thank you!

So far so good today. I'll be weighing in in Wednesday's. I've had 18 points today.

pam9210
01-08-2008, 08:03 PM
I have had a great week. Although Sunday I did not do well at all. Not really at all the morning and afternoon were fine but it was that going out to dinner that got me. We went to Ledo's Pizza and I had a hot grilled chicken salad which I guess was not that bad but....I had several slices of pizza. Now keep in mind they are little square pieces not like regular pizza. I counted all of my 35 extra point plus the points I had left over that day on that one meal. Hopefully I will still have a good weigh in. I go tomorrow morning. It really helps to plan ahead. When I went to the grocery store this weekend everything was planned. I went through WW cookbooks that I had and planned my evening meal. I have snacks in my house that I can have. I just have to work on the weekend eating out.

Pam

SummersGirl
01-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi, thanks for the welcome :)
How was that weigh in this morning Pam? I weighed in yesterday and am down 5.8 pounds. Woohoo! Wouldn't that be nice to keep up, lol. I know it won't happen, but still, it would be nice. Today is an off day, my husband forgot his lunch at home and I ate the sandwich, it just looked too good. I have no idea how many points it was :?: oh well, I didn't do a cookie binge after, so that is a step for me. I'll just have a Lean Cuisine for supper and be done for teh day.
Way to go on the breast feeding Alana, how old is the little one? Luvz2teach, yes, I would like the recipe. It would be nice to eat the same thing I make for the family. Michiemish, how's the new start going for you? How are all the others doing? Have a great day all.

alanadoodle
01-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Just checking in--I lost 1 pound yesterday, yay! That is all I'm suppossed to lose until I stop bf-ing.

Way to go Summersgirl!!! That is a great loss!!!

My son is almost 5 months old! I can't believe how fast the time flies. I love being a mom!

Luvz2Teach
01-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Summersgirl... (and anyone else who is interested), here is my recipe for the Chicken Cacciatore.

3-4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts - trimmed and cut into chunks or strips
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato paste
1 can of mushrooms or 1 cup of fresh ones, sliced
1/2 cup each of onions, bell pepper, celery - all chopped
1/4 cup chopped scallions
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
Dried Italian seasonings (use whatever you have in your pantry and season to taste)
Salt & Pepper (season to taste)
1 tbsp of olive oil

Heat oil in non-stick skillet to medium high. Add in chicken and saute until cooked through. Add in onions, peppers, celery, and garlic. Saute until veggies begin to cook through. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, and dried seasonings. Stir in, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes on medium-to-low heat. (If sauce is too thick for you, add no more than 1/4 cup of water to thin it out. But the tomatoes will probably do that on their own) Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over pasta of your choice. Makes about 8 servings - Enough for everyone to enjoy and for you to have some left over for lunch!

I calculated the WW points to be 3 points per serving, including the pasta. I used about 8 oz of regular vermicelli cooked al dente' and that made more than enough for us.

If you try it, let me know how it comes out! It was really easy to make and very good.

alanadoodle
01-11-2008, 02:29 AM
Sounds yummy!!

steph0320
01-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Stephanie and I live in Florida. I just rejoined WW last night and think its great that you have this little area for all of us newcomers and re-commiters. Hope eveyone has a fantastic day!!

Luvz2Teach
01-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Welcome Stephanie!

Hope everyone has had a pretty good week. My week was good in most ways. I was able to say no to McDonald's and Krisy Kreme in the same week so I'm celebrating! :dancer:

My weigh in was today.... I'm down 1.8 lbs this week! Yay!

Soooo proud of myself.... How are the rest of you doing with WW? My goal for this week is to actually use all of my points and to get in some activity points.

FloBear
01-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Hey all,
I joined a WW program at work last Friday. I am a nurse and the hospital is offering us a 12 week program. So far I am doing well. I have a lot to lose so your support will be needed. I am so glad I stumbled across this blog. I do have trouble eating all my points. I seem to pick a lot of low point items and fill up on them. Any suggestions? I perfer to make the lower fat choices to benefit me in the future. I weigh in Friday morning...can't weight...lol

KIMBER3201
01-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi.. I would love to join you guys...
A group of us are doing the biggest loser thing but we are all doing a different plan. I am doing WW. I am starting officially today. My husband is also doing WW with me. I am a past member so I have all the materials at home. I guess that is called WW at Home? Anyhoo... I am off and running and can use some support. I want to be jogging by Fall 2008. So GOOD LUCK!!! I Weigh in on Wednesdays.

hegilbert
01-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Hey there. I re-started WW again just about two weeks ago. I've done it in the past and have found that I have to go to meetings in order to keep myself on track. Looking forward to staying on plan with everyone.

liligurl
01-28-2008, 03:25 AM
Hey all I'd very much like to join your group on one condition, I need some serious butt kicking. I am restarting on weight watchers today!!! Yes today, I have tried to restart for the past month but life keeps getting in the way. However , I realized tonight that my work pants are not comfortable anymore and I refuse to by new ones. So here is my commitment to you...I will forgo all other attempts and failures and put them behind me and continue today as if starting anew. I promise to reach my goal weight of 125 by fall. I am currently 162 lbs.:?: I was 149 in August so things are going the wrong way and I've had it, this is it, I can do this. I have done it in the past and lost 55 lbs, I can do it again. Thankfully hubby is going to do WW right beside me. He in the past has lost 65 lbs. We are runnners and losing weight will make it more enjoyable. We are running a 10K in Feb and would like to drop 10 lbs by the starting gun. I'm hoping for support and I promise to give back, I truly believe the only way to fail is to stop trying.

KaraRN
01-29-2008, 12:49 PM
ME ME ME :wave: I too am joining the force and committing to be a new me this year---LOOSING WEIGHT IN 08!!! My name is Kara and I am 33 years old. I am married and the mom to 2 wonderful kiddios. DD Kylee just turned 12 and DS Aden will be 2 in April. I am a Registered nurse by trait, but I am in the final days of my employment to be a full time SAHM. I am not happy working at the company I am currently at so hubby said just SAH since I only work everyother weekend anyway. My DD and I have committed to loosing weight together. We both have about 70 lbs to loose each. It is time I stepped up to the plate and make my whole family healthier. With my DD being 12, kids her age are rude, crude and mean and she is starting to get teased. This I think is one of the biggest eye openers for me. She is getting to where she doesn't feel good about herself, and I know I don't feel good about myself. I approached her about doing WW and she wasn't interested at all about the meetings. She has a complex and doesn't feel comfortable with weigh ins, being in crowds about loosing weight, etc. etc...So I got into contact with a leader and we are doing this at home together. Which I think since we have teamed up, we WILL and CAN be successful. We started our new way of life Jan 27, 2008. Hope to hear from everyone else and to get into the weigh ins with you all.
Kara:carrot:

Kara's stats:
Start weight- 198.8
Current weight- 196.6
Goal weight- 125
Height- 5'2"

Kylee's stats:
Start weight- 208
Current weight- 207
Goal weight- 140
Height- 5' 4 1/2"

dolphn545
01-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi Everybody! :wave:

I took the plunge and rejoined WW this morning. This will be the .... 5th (?) time of restarting over the years. I get easily discouraged and was always looking for a quick fix. I know that this program works, and is NOT a quick fix, and I certainly did not gain weight overnight.

I just turned 40 :eek: at the beginning of this month, have four children. I am a nurse in a LTC facility and work 12 hour shifts.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and losing on this journey together!

liligurl
01-30-2008, 04:17 AM
dolphn545...welcome and enjoy the journey.. one day at a time!!!
KaraRN...congrats to you for setting an example for your daughter...together you can do this. It is much easier if you have someone to hang in there with you on the really tough days..good luck to eveyone!!!!

KaraRN
01-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! It is so much easier with you do it with a partner. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Good luck to you too on your journey!

liligurl
02-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Ahhh..here it is Super Bowl Sunday...I have saved points all week so that I can enjoy my favorite game time food, PIZZA!!! However, I will only allow myself 2 small pieces of cheese pizza, nothing overboard, I promise!!! I will be running today in order to offset the splurge, hee hee.
Healthy eating to all today!!! ;)

KaraRN
02-03-2008, 09:35 PM
:carrot: Weigh in day for DD and I after week 1 of WW.....so far....Miss Kylee is down 6 lbs and I am down 5.6 lbs (not bad since TOM came in the middle of the week to top off everything;))

liligurl
02-05-2008, 01:25 AM
Way to go ladies!!!! WOW you rock!!! :D ;)
I weigh in on Wed...keeping fingers crossed for a loss...
I will be running tomorrow, in the rain :(...ahh New England. :dizzy:

MommytoGirls
02-05-2008, 01:35 AM
I just rejoined WW tonight! In the past I got to lifetime and I hope to again. I am exactly 100 lbs from goal *gasp* so I have a long way to go but I really feel like I will be able to stick with it this time!!

KaraRN
02-05-2008, 01:52 AM
lil- I am crossing my fingers for you...but I am sure you will do just fine.
Mommy- best wishes. I too have quite a bit to loose so....we will be right beside ya.

I can't believe there isn't more activity here. Wonder where everyone is at?

liligurl
02-05-2008, 04:44 AM
KaraRN..I'm here for you too...way to go on your loss, that's awesome!!! Mommytogirls.. you can do it this time. We are all here to help you. You did it before and you can do it again, I have lost 55 lbs in the past and here I am again too...we all slip up, but it's knowing to try again that makes us succeed...
...continued success on your weightloss journey...;)

dolphn545
02-05-2008, 07:08 AM
I have WI today. And will post more later.

Congrats KaraRN on your loss!

Mommytogirls - :welcome: I have recently rejoined myself. We can do this!! I love reading all the boards and successes. They have always helped to motivate me.

:wave: to everybody!!

crbowles
02-05-2008, 09:03 AM
I did WW from last May until August and lost a little over 20 lbs. Then I had surgery and was on a med with steriods in it and gain 17 lbs back.

Now I'm off the meds and re-started WW on January 1st. Now I'm within 5 lbs of where I was when I stopped last year.

WW is the ONLY thing that works for me!

KaraRN
02-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks everyone! Sounds like everyone is doing so good! I just love to see positive results!

CINDY1911
02-06-2008, 03:21 AM
Hey everyone!!! A newbie here. I lost 70 lbs on WW back in '05, got pregnant in '06, recommitted 12/07. So far down a little over 12. Weigh in Friday. Good luck to all!!!

dali78
02-06-2008, 02:32 PM
I started back again in January. I think this is it for me. I am so tired of being fluffy. I have lost 12 so far!! Good luck to everyone!

liligurl
02-07-2008, 02:20 AM
Ok peeps, I'm gonna really need some help here in this forum, some serious butt kicking...I weighed in today and I am only down 1lb :?:!!! This is very discourging as I have done so well in the past!!! OK, I got that out and I am ready to take on the next week...here we go, so far, so good today, nothing to get upset about today..ahhh I'm starting to feel better. :mad:

EmmaNZ
02-14-2008, 09:48 PM
hi, my name is Emma... I was doing WW last year, but ended up stopping after getting pregnant - I wound up with an ectopic pregnancy, so after that I became depressed, and couldn't be bothered even thinking about going back. I lost 18.5kg (around 40lb?) - and have pretty much put most of it back on now. I know I'm a really unhealthy weight, and I know that I NEED to do something about it.... So i've decided I'm going to go back to WW, starting next Monday... I put a more indepth intro on the main WW board if you want to learn more about me...

looking forward to getting to know you all