Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-14-2007, 09:33 PM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Default with Lap RNY or the Lap Banding...How long did it take you recover?

My Dr. says that it will be 4 - 8 week recovery...well was wondering, is it 4 or 8 weeks. I am self employed and would like to make some "educated" guesses on how long I will be unable to work.

Perhaps some of you that have had a Lap procedure could tell me how long it was before you...

-could get around
-got your strength back
-began to feel less dizzy or nauseated
-started exercising again
-returned to work

I do realize that we are all different and I will respond as I do to surgery, but the info would be very, very helpful.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-14-2007 at 11:53 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:08 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I know of a woman who had lapband and went shopping the next day
as for me, it took me 5 days before I felt like I could drive again.

Like you said everyone is different, our tollerance to pain is really an individual thing.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #3  

Yes with everyone it can be so different.

My doctor told me 2 weeks for laproscopic. Just restricted in lifting so that can affect some people's work but not mine.

I came home on a Friday and on Sunday, I went to the mall. I wasn't 100% me, but could function just slower. I felt fine within a week and even better at 2 weeks. Could have gone back to work at that point, but was off any way for summer vacation.
*stefani* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

I had the lap-band. First few days weren't great, probably felt the worst on day 5, went to the mall (at half-speed) on day 6 and felt 90% by day 7. For me I had trouble getting in even minimal fluid/protein which is part of why I felt so lousy on day 5. Once a little of the stomach swelling went down and I was able to drink a little more I improved quickly. No lifting for 4-6 weeks (I think - check with dr) but I could definitely have gone back to work after a week and at the two week mark was back to life as usual.
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

a lot depends on your overall health. in general, people who have the lapband get moving faster than those who have the bypass. as for the bypass, i've known some people who returned part-time to their desk jobs after two weeks [and they were managers, so had some scheduling flexibility]

most people i know have taken 4. my health was so bad going in that my doc told me 8 weeks.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #6  

Hi. I was home by noon the same day as my lapband surgery. I went to work 3 days later. I only lasted until 3 PM, though. I was so tired by 3 for a month. GOOD LUCK!
ClaudiaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I took the full 3 months for Lap RNY to not feel exhausted all the time. But it was 2 months before I could stop multiple naps during the day
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/180/155

Height: 5' 1"

I had my surgery on a Monday.....should have come out of the hospital on Thursday but they let me go home a day early since I was doing so great.

I was walking the morning after my surgery. The day of my surgery I slept pretty much the whole day.

When I got home, I was walking immediately around my house. I did laps around my house every hour or two.

The following weekend, I went to the demolition derby at the county fair LOL. Sitting on the bleachers was a little uncomfortable but I had a good time! We walked around the fairgrounds quite a bit that night too.

Age may play a factor.....I was 25 when I had the surgery.
FluffyGirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 366/313/199

Height: 5 ft 11 inches

I just got my lap band done on Dec. 6th, which was a Saturday. I slept all that day and the next. On monday, I spent 6 hours walking and shopping in Tijuana. I felt a bit tired but had a great time. I flew home on tuesday, after stadning for over an hour at the border, got there about 9pm and went to work the next day. I primarily work at a desk but was able to stay the entire 8 hours.
I feel great, lots of energy. I do not have any more tiredness than usual. Still a bit sore sometimes in the belly, but tylenol takes care of that.
I am 46 and not in the best shape. I have had no nausea or dizziness.
Everyone is different obviously....good luck. Leslie
smolderingvixen is offline   Reply With Quote