Weight Loss Support - What kind of lunch box do you have?

cbmare
12-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Part of the success of weight loss is to quit going out to restaurants. We all know that. Even the supposedly low cal/fat/carb etc are not so in most cases.

I've been bringing my lunches for quite some time. However, I want to do something different in how I bring them to work. It is quite cumbersome to have several containers in those plastic bags. I'd like something that is a bit more solid but not the size of Montana.

What do you use? Where did you get it?

TIA

zenor77
12-07-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't have it yet, but DH and I are buying each other ToGo Ware for Christmas. It's a take on the Eastern Indian tiffin lunch box. It's stainless steel ant has two generous compartments that hook together. Plus you can get it with a set of washable bamboo utensils. You can order them online through amazon or google ToGo ware and it'll pop up.

just_a_dreamy1
12-07-2007, 05:25 PM
I just use a medium sized tote bag that I got for free from my work. It makes such a differance! People can't see what's in the bag, so I don't have to feel awkward about bringing my lunch into an office where everyone else goes out (I've been in those environments!) and I can bring the funkiest food without sparing a thought to other people wondering.
I used to use plastic bags. They are so flimsy! Now I can carry a full bottle of water, a couple of tupperware containers, my work flats, and some papers, and it all fits! I love it.

Glory87
12-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Hee - plastic grocery store bag! At least they are free and I'm recycling!

chick_in_the_hat
12-07-2007, 05:42 PM
I have an insulated box that I got from Target. It ws like 5 bux. It's big enuf to fit a six pak, I have a bunch of glad ware that I use to bring lettuce, a couple soda's fit on top, a yogurt cup on the side and a small container for dressing. A wrap on top of that, an ice pack if it's warm. Water I carry separate. The box also has a pocket on the front for badge/phone/keys...and another expandable compartment that isn't insulated on top. I rarely expand the thing on the top.

cbmare
12-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Glory - :lol:

Gina - it's good to see you posting again. I'll have to look at Target. I didn't find anything at Walmart today.

Thanks to all for the responses.

slim n up
12-07-2007, 07:53 PM
I use an insulated lunch bag that I got at walmart, when all the kids are getting ready for school. Everyother week I use that and a plastic grocery bag as I work 12.5 hr shifts that week, and I start work at 5am, and don't get done until 5:30 or 6:00, so I need enough room for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. I am the kitchen manager at a county jail, and I can eat at work for free, but I don't allow myself to, even though there is healthy food. If I limit myself to the food I bring I know my calorie intake, and I am not tempted to eat the food that I shouldn't. And so far so good.

Wilma

Heather
12-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Bringing lunches and snacks to work is a BIG part of my ongoing success.

I have an insulated container I bring. I love it.

BillBlueEyes
12-07-2007, 08:37 PM
I use a canvas brief case to hold the Glad ware containers for my lunch. A second briefcase doesn't look odd in my environment, and it's plenty big for:

a 2.9 cup container for main dish (e.g. leftover spaghetti squash with Mariano sauce)
a 2.9 cup container for side of vegetable, when available (e.g. left over kale and swiss chard with feta cheese)
a 7 cup container of raw salad stuff - Romain lettuce, cukes, sugar snaps, red pepper strips, cauliflower, as is available.
a 1 liter bottle of skim milk (stays in fridge at work for the week)
an opaque plastic bag containing carrots and a head of cabbage (stays in fridge at work for the week). I eat these if I don't bring enough other food.
a pint container with an apple for my afternoon snack.

Everything stays protected and no one knows that I'm carrying a gargantuan set of lunch containers.

cbmare
12-07-2007, 08:43 PM
That does sound like a huge amount of food.

chick_in_the_hat
12-07-2007, 09:24 PM
'Cause he's a dude.. :D
:hug: to you Mare!

BillBlueEyes
12-07-2007, 09:33 PM
LOL, It takes a lot of raw vegetables to get to 2100 calories a day. :D

lettingslenderin
12-07-2007, 10:56 PM
We use these: http://www.laptoplunches.com for our daughters, and they have an adult version as well. These are great bento style lunchboxes with western appeal. The quality is exceptional and the products are tested to be nontoxic. It's easy to pack healthy, visually appealing meals.

One of my friend has the adult version, which is basically the kid version with a seventy dollar "bento bag". I'm doing MF, but you are inspring me to spring for one when I get closer to maintenance. I think I can do without the bento bag, but the insides and a sturdy insulated lunch kit work great. If you go, check out the pix of the amazing healthy lunches packed with the lunchboxes.

LindseyLouWho
12-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I have an insulated bag I bought from Mimi the Sardine, since they're certified to be completely lead free. Apparently there is a small amount of lead necessary to produce the vinyl that is in most lunch bags you find at the store and a lot of lunch bags tested have more than the acceptable amount... not sure how big of a deal it is, but I figure better to be safe... haha.

Plus the bag is really cute. The one I have looks like a tiny tote bag and has brightly colored cartoony cats and flowers all over it

rockinrobin
12-08-2007, 12:10 AM
I use an insulated bag that I bought from some a discount store. I use a number of different sized containters. I keep my various salads in them. I also have a little Rubbermaid container in which I empty out a carton of yogurt into and freeze and bring that along in my lunch bag. It keeps everything nice and cold.

I'd be lost without my good old lunch bag.

Kery
12-08-2007, 03:10 AM
I use a bento box a friend had sent me from Japan, a few years ago. It has two big compartments, and a smaller, third one that I can put in or out depending on what I want to stuff in. (I figured out that the quantity it can hold for a Japanese person is good enough for me as well, since I'm not that tall and don't need 600-calories meals to keep me filled for long. ;))

jtammy
12-08-2007, 10:10 AM
I have a rather large insulated lunchbox that I picked up from WalMart. It's big enough for a 6 pack+, so it's big enough for my lunch, snacks, and breakfast, if I'm running late at home. It's nothing special, but I love it and it makes packing my lunch much easier. I usually carry leftovers from dinner as my lunch. I pack them up in individual servings as I'm clearing up dinner in a variety of tupperware containers.

gailr42
12-08-2007, 10:52 AM
My bag, made by California Innovations, is from Wal-Mart. I believe the size is for a six-pack plus ice. Maybe the same thing Tammy has. I got some really nice rectangular, plastic left-over type dishes with snap-on lids from Costco. One size fits perfectly in the bottom of the bag, the others fit nicely on top of the larger one. If my bag is full of frozen stuff, I don't need ice. Otherwise, I use a small blue ice.

I pretty much eat the same things the rest of you do.

My bag came with a hard plastic liner. The directions on the bag said you could use or not use the liner. My plastic dishes don't fit with the liner, so I removed it.

I put the lunch bag in a canvas tote bag with all the other stuff that I carry to work. The final bag weighs so much that it triggers the "fasten seat belt" light for the passenger seat, even though there's no passenger :lol:.

GatorgalstuckinGA
12-08-2007, 11:47 AM
i have a free one that dh got at work...but when that one finally dies..i like the ones that LL bean makes...they are large enough for a decent amount of food...but not too cumbersome. Where i work..we only have a dorm size fridge for 5-6 people. So i keep ice packs in my lunchbox in order to ensure my food stays cold. I've been eyeing these lunch boxes because they come in a wide range of colors and are very druable (a friend of mine has one)
here's the link
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=38069&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=22347-ppxs&dds=y

cbmare
12-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Thank you for all the input. Now I'm wanting about 6 lunchboxes. :lol:

I am going to have to spend some time in several stores and get something neat for myself. I deserve it.

tamaralynn
12-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Like gloria, mine are the cheap and recyclable plasting shopping bags

baffled111
12-08-2007, 12:38 PM
I use a little paper shopping bag, but now I'm getting lunchbox envy. :)

jtammy
12-08-2007, 03:46 PM
My bag, made by California Innovations, is from Wal-Mart. I believe the size is for a six-pack plus ice. Maybe the same thing Tammy has.

I put the lunch bag in a canvas tote bag with all the other stuff that I carry to work. The final bag weighs so much that it triggers the "fasten seat belt" light for the passenger seat, even though there's no passenger :lol:.

Yep, that's the same one. I like that I can take the liner out and clean up so easily. I'm laughing now, because my fasten seat belt light also comes on when I put my purse and lunchbox on the seat. I always have my lunchbox packed with foods. I have this fright that I will get to work and not have any good choices available and I will eat things I shouldn't eat. That makes for a heavy lunchbox. :)

EZMONEY
12-08-2007, 06:01 PM
My lunch box holds my waters for the day, V8 juices and Minute Maid OJ, my time cards and job papers, my safety glasses and extra reading glasses, my spare tuna, can fruit and water in case of "those 3 hour traffic STOPS!' due to California wrecks, a screwdriver, utility knife, sanding masks, pencils and pens, eye wash and first aid stuff, chap stick, bag balm...yes I said bag balm, a Guidepost magazine in case I end up working alone and want something to read at break, a small spare radio, extra raisins and granola bars and my lunch which sometimes is leftovers in glad containers...I have an IGLOO Playmate...the large one

gailr42
12-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Gatorgal, those LLBean bags are nice. I never thought about looking there for a lunch bag.

As far as my lunch is concerned, I am both paranoid about starving to death and obsessive about having precisely the right containers for my food:lol:. It sounds to me like some of the rest of you belong to the same club. I was sure I was the only one whose lunch was required to wear a seat belt!

Sandi
12-09-2007, 02:14 AM
Although they have sold out for 2007, they do it every year. I bought the Lean cuisine insulated lunch tote for Breast Cancer awareness. I like the bag and it's a good cause. http://www.leancuisine.com/Komen2007/SoldOut.aspx

lumifan4ever
12-10-2007, 11:05 AM
I like that laptop lunch thing. I may have to invest in one next year after income taxes come in. right now, my lunch bag was free. It was from carolina pride. it's big enough for some flat containers and yogurt and a banana or whatever. it will fit upto a sandwich size glad container. alot of us here at work got one. I put a sticker over the carolina pride logo and wrote my name on top. oh, but it also have a zipper section on front if i want to put something flat in it and it also has two pockets, one on each side of it. and a handy carrying strap. It's great....especially for free. hehehe.

cbmare
12-11-2007, 01:29 PM
I found the Walmart ones. I took the 6 & 9 can sizes over to the plastic ware section to see if what I have at home will fit. It will in the 9 can size. However, I found a Playmate one that is actually shaped like a lunch box. It's roomy, has a place for blue ice if needed and snacks have a little zipper pouch on the top in the rounded part of the lid.

I didnt' get it. It was the only one and had some stains on it. They wouldn't give me a reduced price for it. I decided to wait until they get more. I know it will probably get stains but if I'm buying a new one I want to put my own new stains on it. :lol:

I think I'll check out Target during my lunch break today.

Thanks again for all the input. Baffled, I, too, was getting lunchbox envy.

Shy Moment
12-11-2007, 01:46 PM
cb
Laugh if you like ( I know you like to laugh ) I still have my Barbie metal lunch box from grade school. When I stopped using it for school I started putting embroidery thread in it. Ok, this was about 5,000 years ago and you can't buy these anymore. The thing will last for another 5,000 years and my daughter used it when she was in grade school too. I still have the thermos with it too. When I have a job outside of the home I use it for work lol.

cbmare
12-11-2007, 01:55 PM
No laughing from me! I never had one single solitary thing that was Barbie when I was growing up. If you like that lunchbox, then use it by all means! Besides, you will be able to tell yours from others. :lol:

Shy Moment
12-11-2007, 02:08 PM
I had someone try to steal it one time. I am not talking when I was a kid, I am talking just a couple of years ago. I went to the department manager and said find my darn lunch box. Amazeing they found it in the copy room. Now who is so desperate that they wanted to steal my barbie lunch box lol.

gailr42
12-11-2007, 02:26 PM
cbmare, I did exactly the same thing. I sort of had the feeling that people were watching me - carrying the lunch bag around and putting things in and taking them out - I'm a crazy old broad.

Shy Moment, that stinks that someone would steal your lunch box. Glad your manager took it seriously. They probably wanted it for their collection.

Occasionally someone takes someone else's lunch at my work. I can't imagine what the motivation for that would be. Surely there is no one so poor that they need to steal a lunch. I would certainly notice if I got someone else's lunch out of the fridge. Like, where's my ten gallon salad?????

cbmare
12-11-2007, 04:40 PM
I went to Target. They had a smaller size of the one I was interested in yesterday. It wouldn't fit my containers. It's still at Target.

However, I did find another WATP dvd that I don't have. Looking forward to that one.

Shy Moment
12-11-2007, 05:00 PM
gai
That is what the manager said. I had no idea the darn thing was worth money lol.

Smiling_Sara
12-11-2007, 05:16 PM
the freezer at work is packed with lean cusines

cbmare
12-11-2007, 05:42 PM
the freezer at work is packed with lean cusines

:rofl:

How was your trip?

Smiling_Sara
12-12-2007, 12:17 PM
:rofl:

How was your trip?

It was fantastic! I miss my friends already. Thanks for asking. :)